• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #1 CGC 5.0 Heritage Auction

15 posts in this topic

I just noticed that on the Jan 15 auction an ASM #1 CGC 5.0 office white -white pages sold for 7,468.75$. I bought the same book in late 2012 with white papers for almost half that. That a significant increase in this grade over 4 years. Is ASM #1 what I would call poor mans gold? Since AF #15 has risen significantly and has gotten out of reach for some they are turning to the next best thing. Kind of a gold and silver analogy. Just really surprised.

I dunno. People who want up complete an ASM run need #1. It's a great comic with a cool cover. Some like AF15 and want it, some don't.

ASM #1 is an important book with a good story/art that can and does stand on its own.

Not sure that answered your question.

ok crappy post..... 125 views and no comments :boo:

I hate to see a good post with no comments :whistle:

I think you're right, the price has more or less doubled over the last few years, and it could well be down to AF15 moving out of sight of many pockets. Future collectors are going to need very deep pockets if they want the keys. Bit of a shame in a way.

Not crappy at all, just no controversy. And like most repliers in this thread, I learned I need thicker skin and patience when it comes to the community side of the board.

Spiderman's one of my favorites. My run starts at 2. I was priced out of interest in AF15. And a timid collector, I've always been more worried about downside than eager for upside, so I don't shop for #1 either. Probably I'll spring for the FF1 I need/want this year.

Maybe one day even go for Spidey if there's a selloff. But I've heard logic (with which I agree) that says a Spiderman collector that felt priced out of an AF15 might instead move to ASM1, or if still too pricey, then to ASM 2.

truth be told I have a chance to by a AF 15 4.0 in 2011 and did not. I think it was 4,000-4,500. My biggest regret. Thinking I need to get into one this year. will bee looking around for an opportunity.

The ASM #1 was my first slab purchase. was only collecting ASM and when I nearly completed the collection turn to key first appearances.

Edited by Diaolos

Picked up an ASM 1 two years ago and basically given up on getting an AF15 - it's ridiculously expensive and not worth it imo.

I think many would disagree including myself. One day I will own one for now I can dream....

I learned long ago that I personally prefer collecting runs to owning isolated keys. When I decided to sell one off, my choice was easy; keep ASM 1 - 15 and sell AF 15.

So far, I haven't really missed the AF.

AF15 will always be the top of the mountain. But, in this 1st app driven environment it's made collectors (investors?) devalue the significance of other books. ASM 1 seems like the red-headed stepchild these days. The reality is it's currently a great buy. It's the first book of Marvel's Flagship title. Don't kid yourself, ASM drives this hobby. The majority of collectors, collect ASM. It's the most liquid title out there. Any day of the week, you can find any issue you want. And any day of the week, you can sell any issue of this book.

2nd App of Spidey, 1st JJJ (Spidey's greatest nemesis), 1st ASM book ever, early FF app. Book has everything going for it. Even the price right now.

ASM 1, maybe all ASM, values kinda slumped after the ASM 2 movie. ASM1 graded 6.5 were selling for 7500-8500 a couple of years ago, the last GPA sale was 12,500. So I agree I'm seeing an uptick prolly movie related with Civil War and the upcoming Homecoming movie. I sure miss the days when AF15 and ASM 1 were sub $3K books in NM, but in fairness, a NM then from most dealers would grade a 7.5-8.0 today.

The thing that get me is that I'll have a book in a similar condition only a PLOD for a fraction of the cost. I'll be pretty happy with it though, and it was affordable.

I'll probably do the same thing with an AF 15.

But yea ASM is priced low for a major key. Might be an interesting book to invest in for the next 10 years.

It's bean a while since I have been on the boards and was looking at my posts.  Cam across this one which I found interesting.   Fast forward a year and ASM #1 CGC 5.0 currently bidding on ebay at 9,400$.  incredible. 

Edited by Diaolos