• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

90's VALIANT Comics Thread

289 posts in this topic

Valiant's Dr. Mirage TV Series Headed To The CW

34042-5070-38015-1-second-life-of-docto.jpg

According to Deadline, the CW has ordered a pilot for a television adaptation of Valiant Comics’ Dr. Mirage.

If picked up, Dr. Mirage will be the seventh comic book-inspired television series to find a home at the CW.

This will Valiant Entertainment's first attempt at television, thought hey have their own web-based series, Ninjak vs. the Valiant Universe, already in the works.

It is also the first television project for DMG Entertainment, the behind company behind Iron Man 3, Looper, and Point Break.

The Dr. Mirage pilot will be written by Annabelle screenwriter Gary Dauberman. He will also executive produce alongside DMG Entertainment’s Chris Fenton and Chris Cowles, with CBS Studios producing the pilot.

:whee:

Looks like it will be this version:

dddm1a.jpg

I never read this mini but heard consistently great things about it. Some of these had crazy-low print runs, too. Should be interesting to see the prices.

An interesting note about the Valiant Dr. Mirage books (2014-2015)... there are almost no variants.

Print run was low, so for reading, I'd recommend the trade paperback.

For collecting, the Death-Defying Doctor Mirage #5 issue is probably the tough one.

Better pull these out of the $1 bin.

First appearance of Dr. Mirage (original character):

shadowman16.jpg

Someone popped the buy it now on 10 CGC 9.8 copies on ebay last night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shadowman-16-1993-CGC-9-8-WP-1st-Appearance-Of-Dr-Mirage-/122088180954?hash=item1c6d05ccda:g:kfcAAOSw-itXs6N4

That was a good price for already-graded guaranteed 9.8s.

Better pull these out of the $1 bin.

First appearance of Dr. Mirage (original character):

shadowman16.jpg

Someone popped the buy it now on 10 CGC 9.8 copies on ebay last night:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shadowman-16-1993-CGC-9-8-WP-1st-Appearance-Of-Dr-Mirage-/122088180954?hash=item1c6d05ccda:g:kfcAAOSw-itXs6N4

That was a good price for already-graded guaranteed 9.8s.

It was a good price already.

I hope the seller isn't a board member, because I am about to say how **unwise** it is to list your duplicate CGC books as a quantity like that. Maybe 2 or 3, maybe... but 10?? Ugh.

I must have 50 copies of that book, and unlike my many copies of Rai 0, many will be 9.8 candidates. So be careful if you are going to speculate on post unity high grade Valiants. I don't see this one turning into Eternal Warrior 4.

But hey, what the heck do I know?

I have a lot of Shadowman 16's and I know there are a lot in $1 bins out there still. I may have 5 that are 9.8 candidates but I'm not even sure on that number anymore. The spine, bottom and back of this book always seem to have problems on every one I look at (shows, bins, stores, etc.). One that I thought was a 9.8 came back 9.4 with no press. Still have to look at the notes on that one. That being said, this seller had 10 9.8's, lol, which is probably why I still have a day job.

So...why would Shadowman 16 be the key when the show's not the same character?

Isn't that sort of like speculating in All-American 16s in the run-up to the Ryan Reynolds Green Lantern movie?

Or - maybe a closer analogy -- the Kirby Sandman # 1 in the run-up to a proposed Sandman (Vertigo) movie?

And didn't Shadowman 16 have a print run of about 250k?

(I'm not trolling - I have a few copies of Shadowman 16 from back in the day, but...hard to believe in this book when the title character's a female)

Dr. Mirage has always been about Dr. Hwen Mirage, who died but is still communicating with his wife as a "ghost". The wife works to get him back to physical reality.

That's the concept from the original stories, beginning in Shadowman #16 (1993), and that's the concept from the new series. The wife's name changed from Carmen to Shan, and Shan is also a doctor. Dr. Mirage is the name of both the husband and the wife now.

Shadowman #5 (2013) is the first appearance of Shan Fong, but Shadowman #16 (1993) is the first appearance of Dr. Mirage, his wife, and the main story concept.

Yes, Shadowman #16 had a large print run, which is why CGC 9.8 has been under $40. It won't be $400 anytime soon, but there's basically no downside at $40.

First Look: John Morrison As Eternal Warrior In NInjak Vs. The Valiant Universe

O8YJygr.jpg

Valiant's upcoming foray into television is heavily anticipated, and the company finally showed off more of their Ninjak Vs. The Valiant Universe digital series lat year. Now fans have their first look at the Eternal Warrior and Livewire, and there's plenty of reason to get excited.

The Eternal Warrior, real name Gilad Anni-Padda, is a supremely skilled fighter who uses his skills to protect the earth. Oh, and he happens to be immortal. He'll be played by former WWE and current Lucha Underground Champion John Morrison, who currently goes by Johnny Mundo. As you can see in the picture, his look in the series is rather spot on to his look in the comics.

He's not the only debut from the series, though, as the Valiant account also shared a new shot of Livewire. Livewire, real name Amanda McKee, has the ability to control machines. She will be brought to life in the series by actress Ciera Foster.

Not sure why, but I have always wondered why cgc doesn't label Solar 10 as eternal warriors first appearance? Was their some controversy over it?

No controversy, Solar #10 is definitely the Eternal Warrior's first appearance.

I think there just wasn't enough space on the label.

Here's what it says instead:

16 page Solar insert by Jim Shooter,

Barry Windsor-Smith & Bob Layton.

Black embossed cover.

Those things are all true. lol