• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ADAM HUGHES GALLERY
13 13

1,296 posts in this topic

I finally managed to find a GI Joe #2 RI variant in the "wild" for cheap the other day. Of course I was happy to find it after looking for so long, but it was also cheap b/c it has a ton of those wavy lines on the covers.

(not my copy but representative of lines)

1. Why did they print the copy this way?

2. Is there any way to make it better?

Edited by manetteska

There were two editions of that variant. One was wraparound, sidewise. The other, more common one, had the same image, but in the normal framing, entirely on the front.

I believe the "wavy lines" are glue streaks from the printing process. I don't know whether there's a way to get them off without damaging the book. Would love to, though!

There were two editions of that variant. One was wraparound, sidewise. The other, more common one, had the same image, but in the normal framing, entirely on the front.

I believe the "wavy lines" are glue streaks from the printing process. I don't know whether there's a way to get them off without damaging the book. Would love to, though!

The cover stock has some kind of a coating on it, and the wrinkles are in the coating.

The cover stock has some kind of a coating on it, and the wrinkles are in the coating.

Yeah, it sucks. I want to peel it off like it's a protective sheet but I don't think that's how it works.

I don't have my comics available, but is the same coating used on the "standard" variant cover?

Yeah, it sucks. I want to peel it off like it's a protective sheet but I don't think that's how it works.

I don't have my comics available, but is the same coating used on the "standard" variant cover?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't remember seeing the same issues with the standard portrait orientation one. I've had mutliples of both, and only remember this issue occurring with the incentive one.