• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
17 17

11,083 posts in this topic

I was leaning Novick too, for the eyebrows 'as well as the rest of the inks. But not definitively. I don't see much Drucker there. He was far more stylized and had signature pen lines I don't see on this cover.
Novick was more reserved and refined, both in his personality and his art. Grandenetti trained with Eisner and was looser and more surprising in his compositions. For contrast, here's a Novick close-up from Brave and Bold. http://www.comics.org/issue/13924/cover/4/ I'm a fan of both artists.

One thing that can make it hard to distinguish Grandenetti's work is that he drew inspiration from the other DC War artists and was able to incorporate elements of Kubert and Heath's style sufficient to fool me. On the other hand, we do have Big Five Guide which documents artists' credits based on editorial record and they indicate that Grandenetti was the culprit.

One other little detail is that while Novick's covers are not common in the later 10¢ range, Drucker NEVER did covers for DC war as far as I know. And his cover work is extremely rare even for other companies. I can think of a single western from either Quality or Charleton (or maybe Prize??) for which Drucker drew the art. I don't have the comic, but it's a good one. I'm sure one of you knows.

Great point, Mick. I was thinking the same thing. Drucker having never done another cover before or since makes me have strong doubts he did a "one-off" here. Also, Kanigher was too much of a control freak to give Drucker a cover shot (especially since he had even done comparatively few interiors at this point), especially when he had his proven workhorses that could do it faster and better. Not to disparage Drucker (I love his Mlle Marie, of course), but Grandenetti, Kubert and Novick were as good as it gets and lightening fast.

Great point, Mick. I was thinking the same thing. Drucker having never done another cover before or since makes me have strong doubts he did a "one-off" here. Also, Kanigher was too much of a control freak to give Drucker a cover shot (especially since he had even done comparatively few interiors at this point), especially when he had his proven workhorses that could do it faster and better. Not to disparage Drucker (I love his Mlle Marie, of course), but Grandenetti, Kubert and Novick were as good as it gets and lightening fast.

Faster. . .likely.

Better. . .only in Kanigher's mind. He BLEW it by being unappreciative of Drucker's talents. [Kanigher admitted as much later on.]

This would definitely be at the tail end of Drucker's tenure with less than a year before he jumped ship and headed over to MAD and became a rockstar.

Faster. . .likely.

Better. . .only in Kanigher's mind. He BLEW it by being unappreciative of Drucker's talents. [Kanigher admitted as much later on.]

This would definitely be at the tail end of Drucker's tenure with less than a year before he jumped ship and headed over to MAD and became a rockstar.

Agreed. Drucker not as good as the others? Laughable

One other little detail is that while Novick's covers are not common in the later 10¢ range, Drucker NEVER did covers for DC war as far as I know. And his cover work is extremely rare even for other companies. I can think of a single western from either Quality or Charleton (or maybe Prize??) for which Drucker drew the art. I don't have the comic, but it's a good one. I'm sure one of you knows.

According to comics.org, Drucker was the cover artist for The Adventures of Bob Hope 87. He's credited with other covers in the run as well. The nurse on the cover of Bob Hope 91 sure looks Drucker to me.

Drucker Cover work