• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signature advice
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

Would you get Stan Lee to sign a hulk 181?

The book will be for me to keep, and to pass onto children when I pass.

What would you do?

Also, might get Len Wein and Roy Thomas to sign. Feedback appreciated.

Are you thinking of getting is Signature series or just signed?

Either way there is a strong sentiment towards him signing books he actually worked on vs. just anything marvel, and Hulk 181 is not a book he directly worked on. I think purely on resale you'd be better off keeping it unsigned but there is certainly a market for Stan Lee SS.

Personally, I only get books signed by the people who wrote or drew them.

Stan Lee did not work on ASM129 or Hulk181. If you want a Stan Lee Spider-Man book, why not have him sign any issue from #1 to #100. He worked on all of those.

Edited by seredynskib

I have a little different opinion. I will get the writer/artists but also a creator of the main characters in the book. In this case, Stan created Hulk, so I don't see a problem with it. But, for example, I have an X-men 266 (first app of gambit), but will not get him to sign it. Even though he created X-men, he did not create gambit. Just my feeling I guess.

I have a Hulk 181 as well. I don't have any signatures on that book yet. I don't know if I want to get it signed. There are just no good places imo. The title at the top is really the best place. If I get it signed, ill get Wein, Thomas and/or Romita Sr. since they created Wolverine and thats the main reason the book is valuable. There just isn't much room on that cover for signatures.

If a cover is really busy and a signature will detract, I do not get it signed. Just the way I do things.

Nope his signature has become kind of messy as he has gotten older. I would not have him sign a book like this at this time.

He is spotty with his signature. Key is to get to him early when he just starts signing. I got 9 books signed by him a few weeks ago. I was one of the first in line, I window boxed exactly where I wanted him to sign and they look really really good. If you window box where you want and make it a tight spot, but enough room, he seems to concentrate on it more.

I do have a couple other books where his signature is sloppy (I hate his signature in silver sharpie).

Edited by kevhtx

Nope his signature has become kind of messy as he has gotten older. I would not have him sign a book like this at this time.

He is spotty with his signature. Key is to get to him early when he just starts signing. I got 9 books signed by him a few weeks ago. I was one of the first in line, I window boxed exactly where I wanted him to sign and they look really really good. If you window box where you want and make it a tight spot, but enough room, he seems to concentrate on it more.

I do have a couple other books where his signature is sloppy (I hate his signature in silver sharpie).

Or if you're meeting him to get signed, bring a new sharpie for him to use. He won't change the marker when he's pressed the point off...that's when the signature gets rough.

Or if you're meeting him to get signed, bring a new sharpie for him to use. He won't change the marker when he's pressed the point off...that's when the signature gets rough.

Good point. I always bring my sharpies for him. I love his signature in blue and usually lean towards that color on most of my books. On dark covers, I usually go gold and just occasionally silver.

I have a little different opinion. I will get the writer/artists but also a creator of the main characters in the book. In this case, Stan created Hulk, so I don't see a problem with it. But, for example, I have an X-men 266 (first app of gambit), but will not get him to sign it. Even though he created X-men, he did not create gambit. Just my feeling I guess.

We're close to eye to eye on this one. I wouldn't have Mr. Lee sign either book. With Hulk #181, you're right in that he created the Hulk so there is a connection. I wouldn't have him sign it though because, while it is a Hulk book, most really don't think of it as a Hulk book but as the first Wolverine book and he had nothing to do with Wolverine.

To the original poster, you could look into a nice reprint if you want it CGC'd. I've developed a nice collection of reprint books because the originals were too pricey or too difficult to locate.

Hey guys,

Would you get Stan Lee to sign a hulk 181?

The book will be for me to keep, and to pass onto children when I pass.

What would you do?

Also, might get Len Wein and Roy Thomas to sign. Feedback appreciated.

Although I'm a big fan of the signature series program, I don't believe in getting key books signed. I would greatly prefer an unsigned IH181. 2c

Some great remarks here.

As a newish collector, I'll have a book signed by the creators, or by the writers/artists team etc... however

Stan Lee's signature, I'm told, and I would agree with, only accentuates books that are already in great quality.

I have a few books signed by him, spider-man gold upc 1 and x-men 101 both signed. Do either books seem more adequate with him signing it? ah...

Do I find hulk 181 more adequate with his signature? no.

Is hulk 181 better with len and herb's sigs? more so.

The thing is I find with some books, I'm not stuck on sigs. I'm more adamant with sigs on modern books. Saga 1 x2 vaughan staples.

High grade 181 is more important imo

if you think your 181 is a lower grade, 7.5 or lower, then a sign definitely helps.