• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Byrne/Terry Austin X-MEN corner box art
1 1

46 posts in this topic

Don't think this has been brought up here yet, but the very iconic X-MEN corner box art by John Byrne and Terry Austin popped up this week with Anthony Snyder. Best offer over $40K cash/trade:

John_Byrne_Terry_Austin_XMENcornerboxart.jpg

Haven't confirmed with Anthony, but heard he had moved it.

Don't think this has been brought up here yet, but the very iconic X-MEN corner box art by John Byrne and Terry Austin popped up this week with Anthony Snyder. Best offer over $40K cash/trade:

As of yesterday, I don't think he had. Unless something transpired late yesterday evening or night.

Any idea what size that piece is? I've seen some of his other corner box artwork and the heads aren't bigger than 1.5-2" tall

Any idea what size that piece is? I've seen some of his other corner box artwork and the heads aren't bigger than 1.5-2" tall

I was told by Anthony that the art fits into a comic bag.

Ok, so it's small like his Alpha Flight and other corner box work. Interesting. Looks like this piece was only used in its entirety for 6-7 issues and then the faces got moved around and banshee got removed and some of the elements were used for a bunch more issues.

Not a buyer at that level, but that art is way cool.

I'm personally less concerned with the size than how it presents in person. I have seen some of these types of things that look great when reduced to one inch wide, but look really loose on an 11x17 board.

From the scan/image, this one looks pretty great.

I have two corner box art pieces that are both larger than this piece and are also somewhat recognizable. One is 7.5"x11" and the other is 11"x17". From what I've ssen with corner art, the size varies but you can find some on even larger art board than 11"x17"

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=178574

I agree with you Jeff. I also feel that board/image size is second to the amount of detailing and quality of the actual artwork.

Side note:

If Anthony's sells over $40k, I wonder what the value of my pieces would be? :)

Edited by infamouspure22

Side note:

If Anthony's sells over $40k, I wonder what the value of my pieces would be? :)

Whether or not it sells, the value of the X-MEN corner box art should have zero effect on other corner box art.

The reason there's a high value attached to Anthony's art, is because "X-MEN", not "corner box".

To believe there would be any correlation, would be to believe that a $40K sale of this art would indicate a corresponding value increase for all Marvel art from 1979 (or whenever this X-MEN art appeared)...or all art from 1979, period...or any art with 6 floating heads...or any art that also measures 5"X7"...etc.

To tie all corner box art to the X-MEN value is something a dealer would do to justify their pricing. Although I suppose collectors become dealers, too, when valuing their own art.

Thanks for the feedback. I see where you are coming from.

I think it is acceptable for any collector to want to gauge the value of their art pieces.

When collectors or dealers estimate the value of their pieces, what criteria do they go by? Artist, title, art type (covers, pages, etc), historic relevance, etc.

Covers, splashes, pages, etc are more common than corner box art. An artist can do multiple covers for a title. They will most likely do multiple splashes and many pages for a title. But they may only do one corner box piece.

So should corner box art only be compared to corner box art by the same artist? and in the same era? and for the same title?

What if the artist doesn't produce any other corner box art for the same title in the same era?

Then what could an owner of a corner box piece use to appropriately gauge the value of his art?

Edited by infamouspure22

Thanks for the feedback. I see where you are coming from.

I think it is acceptable for any collector to want to gauge the value of their art pieces.

When collectors or dealers estimate the value of their pieces, what criteria do they go by? Artist, title, art type (covers, pages, etc), historic relevance, etc.

Covers, splashes, pages, etc are more common than corner box art. An artist can do multiple covers for a title. They will most likely do multiple splashes and many pages for a title. But they may only do one corner box piece.

So should corner box art only be compared to corner box art by the same artist? and in the same era? and for the same title?

What if the artist doesn't produce any other corner box art for the same title in the same era?

Then what could an owner of a corner box piece use to appropriately gauge the value of his art?

I think you're placing a higher importance on "corner box" than I do.

Regardless, the art is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. In most cases, you'll never really know until it's sold. For corner box art, I would look to whatever that artist drew for that title from that era for the closest (if imperfect) comp.

Or to put it another way, I highly doubt Anthony used any other corner box art to try to figure out the X-MEN corner box value. I'm sure he pegged the value to other Byrne X-MEN art. What FF or IRON MAN corner box is "worth" didn't even enter into the equation.

Yes agreed, I don't think that any other corner box art were used as a gauge at all for the Byrne X-Men piece. That is not what I was suggesting. I am asking a legitimate question.

In terms of comps, what is the most comparable art type to corner box art?

Is it a cover? No, but it appears on covers multiple issues in the same title. What other art type does that?

Is it a pinup? The work of art itself could be a pinup then later used for the corner box. But the usage of it is not for interiors.

Is it a splash? A page? A sketch?

Which is the best type of imperfect comp?

Also,does the fact that corner art images are some of the most viewed and most recognizable images for any title or any era factor into the desirability (or not) of these pieces?

Edited by infamouspure22

Actually, please disregard my points above.

Regardless of what the general collecting consensus may be of corner box art, its what I like and I have my own reasons for appreciating it.

The less people that like them and don't have any interest in them, the better for me:)

P

Edited by infamouspure22

Yes agreed, I don't think that any other corner box art were used as a gauge at all for the Byrne X-Men piece. That is not what I was suggesting. I am asking a legitimate question.

In terms of comps, what is the most comparable art type to corner box art?

Is it a cover? No, but it appears on covers multiple issues in the same title. What other art type does that?

Is it a pinup? The work of art itself could be a pinup then later used for the corner box. But the usage of it is not for interiors.

Is it a splash? A page? A sketch?

Which is the best type of imperfect comp?

Also,does the fact that corner art images are some of the most viewed and most recognizable images for any title or any era factor into the desirability (or not) of these pieces?

Yeah, not easy to come up with a comp. The size of the art is also a factor.

IMO, I would place the value on par with, at best, a B page from the same artist/title/era. Definitely not as much as a cover, and again IMO, not as much as a good interior (whether that's a splash or a panel page). But more than a commission or sketch.

Actually, please disregard my points above.

Regardless of what the general collecting consensus may be of corner box art, its what I like and I have my own reasons for appreciating it.

The less people that like it and don't have any interest it, the better for me:)

P

(thumbs u

I have an appreciation for corner box art, too. One of my regrets is passing up the Buscema CONAN corner box art from Mitch at SDCC about 10 years ago. A small, simple piece, but also almost a perfect representation of Buscema's Conan.

Still, I wouldn't (and didn't) value it as much as an A page. It was just something cool. No more, no less.

Thanks Felix. I took a step back and read again what we've been writing to each other.

I see you are only trying to share an objective viewpoint of how these pieces have been valued by collectors as a whole.

And I don't disagree.

Sorry if I took it too personally:)

Thanks for your feedback

P

Speaking for myself, I like and enjoy the corner box artwork. I personally think this is a "blue sky" price -- as in, you might as well ask for the sky, because someone somewhere just may be crazy enough to pay it -- but $40K+ is an aggressive valuation.

Stick it on eBay, I think it reaches maybe one tenth of that number.