• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Studios' WOLVERINE 3 - LOGAN starring Hugh Jackman (2017)
8 8

1,131 posts in this topic

At a December press event last year, I previewed the first 40 minutes of Logan, and I can tell you that superhero films are never going to be the same.

This has me both excited and worried.

As Mangold sees it, this is the inevitable direction that the superhero genre has to take to survive. Speaking to Yahoo Movies’ Kevin Polowy in December, the director described it as opting out of “the CG arms race.”

“It’s like, ‘OK, you destroy a city; I’ll destroy the world.’ ‘OK, you destroy the world; I’ll destroy the galaxy. And then I’ll go back in time and do it a second time!’” Mangold said. “At some point, we’ve seen all this stuff. And the way you’re going to pull an audience in is still going to be the old-fashioned way: Characters that grip you from the heart, and that pull you into the drama and their predicament and their fears. And that other stuff is like chocolate sauce. It’s great, but you can’t eat that for two hours.”

Good point as well.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Although most of this is clear, this reviewer talks through the included comic in the trailer, and the intent with its appearance.

Mr. Sunday breaks down some details from the trailer, including further details about Zander Rice and the potential for this not to be the last Jackman appearance.

Exclusive: Logan is not set in the same universe as the X-Men movies, says Hugh Jackman

Talking exclusively to Digital Spy Hugh Jackman revealed that he and director James Mangold had decided to ignore the various complicated X-Men timelines and that they don't even see the film existing in quite the same world.

"When you see the full movie you'll understand," he told us. "Not only is it different in terms of timeline and tone, it's a slightly different universe. It's actually a different paradigm and that will become clear."

This is to be Jackman's last outing as Wolverine (unless the Fat Wolverine v Deadpool movie Jackman wants, comes off) and he says the studio gave them a blank canvas.

"I said this was my last one and they said make the movie you want to make," he explained.

"And so Jim [Mangold] and I had this blank canvas and we wanted to make something really different. Definitely tonally different, I kept thinking 'The Wrestler' - 'Unforgiven'.

"He was thinking 'Unforgiven' as well and 'The Gauntlet' and these other movies which just seemed to really match his character. Early on we had the idea for the title not having anything to do with Wolverine in it but just being about the man. And what the collateral damage of being Wolverine your entire life would be."

"It's a stand alone movie in many ways." He explained. "It's not really beholden to time lines and story lines in the other movies. Obviously Patrick Stewart was in there so we have some crossover but it feels very different and very fresh.

"[Following the timelines] becomes a chess game that you try to serve, which actually doesn't help to tell a story and it's sort of been a bit all over the place. I'm not critical of it – X-Men was the first movie really in comic book, no one thought there'd be another and there were different directors different off shoots."

I like that. Take the restraints off from being forced into a franchise boundary, and at times take a different path.

Right on, people have waited a lifetime to finally see Patrick Stewart naked!

Well they already got a PG-13 version of it in that TNG episode where he gets captured by the Cardassians.

I really wish I could bring myself to not hate this movie sight unseen, but all things Wolverina are a non-starter in my crotchety old man comic world.

have we seen any hints on sinister? I mean he's probably the one who creates X-23 right?