• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aspen Comics Michael Turner Variants
1 1

27 posts in this topic

Besides the money factor; there's also the fact that you never know would Turner have agreed to do these variants if he was still with us? Probably yes, but as running an artist's work w/ the Big 2 without their consent is kind of icky to me.

so when someone dies and you own the rights to something they created, you Don't think they should be able to make money on it anymore? Take that sentiment through to what that really means in its totality for all art or inventions and see if you still feel that way.

...and Apple would cease to release any new iPhones, or related products :)

As for celebrities... Prince, Michael Jackson, Elvis, 2Pac, Marilyn Monroe, etc. all still live as cultural icons exploited through their estates licensing their images.

So long as it's not done in bad taste, it's not such a horrible situation. It's probably true that half the stuff being released, Turner would reject seeing the light of day and instead re-work them tighter, but that's no an option and fans seem to like it, otherwise they'd not buy it.

Great points, all around; the bolded part was more what I was getting at. As some of the covers admittedly look like unfinished sketch book cover ideas, or something done as a commission on a blank or at a con.

The only evidence I could present would be:

http://www.aspenstore.com/assets/images/holidayharley.jpg

This is an abomination, Turner would've NEVER agreed to a rework of a recently released variant. All they did was: rip tge harley image, added a snowman, and a holiday banner. Finally limited the print run to instantly make it "valuable"

What a joke, quit perverting his OA!