• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The least respected genre of the Golden Age...
1 1

168 posts in this topic

I like to read western comics. Gene Autry, Champion, etc. are surprisingly entertaining. But, what's the point of buying a CGC photo cover? At that point you aren't collecting a comic, just a photo, and there are better photos to collect.

I like to read western comics. Gene Autry, Champion, etc. are surprisingly entertaining. But, what's the point of buying a CGC photo cover? At that point you aren't collecting a comic, just a photo, and there are better photos to collect.

I love the snide tone of your question, and since it is directed at me I can answer that! :grin:

I collect high grade comics. I like for books in my collection to look as close to newstand new as possible so that when I thumb through them I feel like I am experiencing them as originally intended. I buy CGC graded books because in most cases high grade examples are already slabbed...and also by buying slabbed books I know I am getting what I pay for. I scan them slabbed so I can keep a record of them for insurance purposes as well as conversationally, and if I ever decide to sell I at least have a photographic record to go with the label. I then crack them out and read them, not only so that I can enjoy them as they were originally intended, but so I can say Booyah Mofo! to snide turds who question the way I collect.

I love the snide tone of your question, and since it is directed at me I can answer that! :grin:

I collect high grade comics. I like for books in my collection to look as close to newstand new as possible so that when I thumb through them I feel like I am experiencing them as originally intended. I buy CGC graded books because in most cases high grade examples are already slabbed...and also by buying slabbed books I know I am getting what I pay for. I scan them slabbed so I can keep a record of them for insurance purposes as well as conversationally, and if I ever decide to sell I at least have a photographic record to go with the label. I then crack them out and read them, not only so that I can enjoy them as they were originally intended, but so I can say Booyah Mofo! to snide turds who question the way I collect.

Cracker.

An on-point answer. But, you protest too much! My comment was directed to the board, not you specifically (in fact, almost all of the 40 or so photo covers you posted weren't slabbed). Your answer is you crack them out of the slabs. I get that. As I said, "I like to read Western comics." I'm not a snob or snide against Western comics.

An on-point answer. But, you protest too much! My comment was directed to the board, not you specifically (in fact, almost all of the 40 or so photo covers you posted weren't slabbed). Your answer is you crack them out of the slabs. I get that. As I said, "I like to read Western comics." I'm not a snob or snide against Western comics.

Not protesting. I was the only person that posted a high grade slabbed Western Romance photo cover in the thread.

I know it might be difficult to believe, but when I was a kid the Saturday

Afternoon Cowboy stars were very popular and if you wanted a color picture

of one of them these comics were the only way you could get one.

<a  href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5332/9127654635_6a3d3f4dd4_z.jpg' alt='9127654635_6a3d3f4dd4_z.jpg'>IMG ROY ROGERS #137

mm

I'll give it to you, this is pretty smug, but you need to do more than wake up early to get on my level. :sumo:

I love to collect "well loved", ratty beaters that I can read on the can and then sell to you schmoos for big money...

Western genre was massive back in the day, TV, movies, etc., Jungle was pretty big as well, and you really don't see that much on TV or movies these days either (not that I'm educating anyone here). I suppose Jungle comics sell a little better because of the gga and sometimes Matt Baker is inside.

At any rate, Marty that is a great angle on the Western comic I never considered. Kids wanted to buy what they saw on TV and in color nonetheless.

If you're into GA for the history at all, you have to at least give a tip of the ole cowboy hat to the westerns.

<a  href=https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5332/9127654635_6a3d3f4dd4_z.jpg' alt='9127654635_6a3d3f4dd4_z.jpg'>IMG ROY ROGERS #137

mm

How about newspaper strip reprints? Does that count as a genre? If so, that group seems to be pretty dead (not dislike the fish wrap industry itself).

File651j-215x300.jpg

Aren't adventure strip reprint covers in demand (Tarzan, Prince Valiant, Flash Gordon, Terry, Canyon, etc.)?

mm

That is a really sharp observation, MM. We take for granted color printing, color TV, color everything today, but back then a big color picture was a thrill!

...I think I've come up with the least desirable type of golden age comic - Photo Cover Western Romance!

Thanks for posting this thread. Your appreciation of all kinds of comics makes you one of my comic book heroes. :applause:(worship):applause:

Here are a few to fill in the gaps...

With another Lily Munster appearance...

167603.jpg.aa70d0df96b351ef5d6dd7ec7df51f37.jpg

167604.jpg.44dce34dd84223487e1da0d123034f47.jpg

167605.jpg.c7f02b964c5e18f20d189b2c19af0290.jpg

167606.jpg.20f347a6682854dcda1a33d5d3e67728.jpg

167607.jpg.640aafb2e041b85819defb08154fc639.jpg

Rangeland%20Love%202%20Heath%20Splash%20Page_zps233fctsj.jpg

Rangeland%20Love%202%20Heath%20Page_zpssltukfnc.jpg

Beautiful! :applause:

OH for the love of god! I was hooked on the Purple Sage Story, but you just leave us hanging there when Vicky is profaning away about her sacred place that she and Jeff shared???? OMG, we need to know how this ends. My money is on Jeff as Larsen looks a bit of a weenie city slicker to me. Is he sitting on that horse a little crooked?

Rangeland%20Love%202%20Heath%20Splash%20Page_zps233fctsj.jpg

Rangeland%20Love%202%20Heath%20Page_zpssltukfnc.jpg

Beautiful! :applause:

OH for the love of god! I was hooked on the Purple Sage Story, but you just leave us hanging there when Vicky is profaning away about her sacred place that she and Jeff shared???? OMG, we need to know how this ends. My money is on Jeff as Larsen looks a bit of a weenie city slicker to me. Is he sitting on that horse a little crooked?

I think he is, and he walks with a lisp too... :o