• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Aspen Comics Michael Turner Variants
1 1

27 posts in this topic

I see there are two Darth Maul #1 variant covers (a color version and a black/white version) being solicited by Aspen Comics. They have cover art by Michael Turner who died back in 2008. Are these variant covers legitimate? Has the ethics of this already been discussed on these boards?

It looks like it being advertised as a cover by Michael Turner and Peter Steigerwald. I'm guessing the ink and color is done by Steigerwald. Does Aspen have a bunch of Turner artwork they are sitting on waiting to be turned into variant covers?

I knew Aspen Comics released variant covers from time to time using Turner's art, but I've never given it any thought because I wasn't interested in those comics before this one. Do proceeds from these covers go to his family?

Edited by rjrjr

Yes Aspen has tons of his un-published art work, and as they did w/ the Rebirth Variants I believe they simply have them colored by Peter then released.

I'm a huge turner fan, so I"ve bought most of these variants; but I do feel weird about them profiting off of his work after he's past, without him having any idea of the projects they are being used on.

Edited by 50/50

I remember them being discussed for Batman DC Universe Rebirth 1

I do believe that they are sitting on plenty of Turner sketches, now whether they're complete or how complete they are idk, as someone is always sharing credit for the color edition as compared to the black and white---with the batman rebirth anyway

Do funds go to the family, don't know, but suredly unless Turner was paid for them before he passed :blush:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I remember them being discussed for Batman DC Universe Rebirth 1

I do believe that they are sitting on plenty of Turner sketches, now whether they're complete or how complete they are idk, as someone is always sharing credit for the color edition as compared to the black and white---with the batman rebirth anyway

Do funds go to the family, don't know, but suredly unless Turner was paid for them before he passed :blush:

THIS! I would hope with all the money Aspen is pulling in off his work, that they would give some to help his loved ones.

I only buy pre-death turner covers. I don't like the idea of them phoning in variants based on his unfinished sketches. I love Turners art, and the legacy he established as an artist.

They aren't necessarily unfinished. I believe the Harley was a commissioned sketch that belonged to someone.

Marvel did the same thing with the Hughes Spider-Gwen #1 1:100.

Michael Turner was the founder or Aspen. I'm sure his family is still part owners and get royalties. Steigerwald is also a co-owner.

I don't know one way or another, but the Turner family might still be a part owner

Peter Steigerwald Co-Owner

Frank Mastromauro Co-Owner, President

The family probably has some type of profit agreement. At least I would hope so.

I'm not sure if a profit agreement is/was best, its possible they were bought out of their share, hopefully in a very generous way so as not to have to deal with further paperwork, accounting, etc.

For example, in some cases, it might have been easier at the time of passing for the other owners to buy the ownership interest from Turner's estate for a certain amount of money, which ultimately went to Turner's family, presumably tax free, unless he had more than $5M in his estate going to any one individual person. But to pay out royalties or profit share on a case-by-case basis going forward would require taxes being paid on income to the Turner family. Especially since the money might have been 'needed' more around the time of death.

Like would you rather get $1M right now tax free in a time of crisis? or $100-150K per year in taxable income per year for the next 10 years?

Especially since there's no guarantee of continued success as Turner's art is/was their best asset, there's no guarantee you keep getting paid 10 years out.

As I said, I don't know what the arrangement is if any, but just saying that profit sharing isn't necessarily the only fair arrangement.

... Michael Turner who died back in 2008. Are these variant covers legitimate?

Michael Turner is like 2Pac... There's a vault of material that Aspen will keep on remixing and releasing, whether rough pencils, prelims, sketches, commissions, sketchbook material, etc. It's all legitimate when it comes to published pieces by Aspen, Marvel or DC with the Michael Turner name on it.

I'm sure Turners heirs, and the company he built, Aspen, garners financial benefits, as they're the ones who are controlling releasing the images and putting out these variants.

It's in one breath, nice to see Turner's name continue to thrive but hopefully the quality of what's put out there is maintained and also rough sketches don't turn into new material with so little of Turners work that may be over-colored or inked that it becomes less him and more other artist's work.

Besides the money factor; there's also the fact that you never know would Turner have agreed to do these variants if he was still with us? Probably yes, but as running an artist's work w/ the Big 2 without their consent is kind of icky to me.

Besides the money factor; there's also the fact that you never know would Turner have agreed to do these variants if he was still with us? Probably yes, but as running an artist's work w/ the Big 2 without their consent is kind of icky to me.

so when someone dies and you own the rights to something they created, you Don't think they should be able to make money on it anymore? Take that sentiment through to what that really means in its totality for all art or inventions and see if you still feel that way.

so when someone dies and you own the rights to something they created, you Don't think they should be able to make money on it anymore? Take that sentiment through to what that really means in its totality for all art or inventions and see if you still feel that way.

...and Apple would cease to release any new iPhones, or related products :)

As for celebrities... Prince, Michael Jackson, Elvis, 2Pac, Marilyn Monroe, etc. all still live as cultural icons exploited through their estates licensing their images.

So long as it's not done in bad taste, it's not such a horrible situation. It's probably true that half the stuff being released, Turner would reject seeing the light of day and instead re-work them tighter, but that's no an option and fans seem to like it, otherwise they'd not buy it.

touché, point well taken. I don't ever mind being convinced to see a new way of thinking and you lads are right. I'm just a huge Turner fan and it's colored my perception of things admittedly.