• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I love these kind of DC sci fi covers
1 1

69 posts in this topic

I enjoyed reading these as a kid, back in the 70s, when I bought the reprint titles.

It wasn't until 1981 that I discovered EC science-fiction.

I love crazy DC scifi stuff. How could anyone not love stuff like this?...

001.jpg

#CallingOakman

I enjoyed reading these as a kid, back in the 70s, when I bought the reprint titles.

It wasn't until 1981 that I discovered EC science-fiction.

Same with me, I found several old DC sci fiction comics. They were beaters but I read the stories. I like the zany themes. I later discovered Charlon comics with same theme and I thought they were bit better.

But... until I found the EC reprints in early 80s. That stories blew my mind I to space! I thought the writers/artists were geniuses to think up such stories.

Still, I do like DC books for the fun.

Yea, most DC Sci Fi undervalued. I keep all I get. Great covers and stories

DC had Marvel beat hands down in the sci fi dept.

a4b209be978f905aecfc34a369f58d68.jpg

well thats a superhero book not a sci fi book also its mostly just photos I still stand by my statement.

What is the distinction? None of them were 'hard sci fi', they all probably fit better into the same category as Star Wars - FF included - over generic sci-fi.

+1

Science heroes, using advanced technology in their adventures. Reed Richards, Hank Pym, Tony Stark, as good examples.

Not all the books had Adam Strange. In fact overall, few did. And when he was in a book there were 2 other stories. They were all hard science fiction short stories. No heroes besides the occasional Atomic Knights.

For an example the first book I posted, 'The sky High Man' was about a space traveller who returns to Earth after a long voyage and discovers the part of the universe he was in was expanding faster than the part where Earth was so when he returned he was too big! This is hard sci fi.

This is typical of 90% of the DC sci fi stories and there is no science hero involved.

I have a different view of what makes something hard science fiction. Your example story isn't hard science fiction, it's mumbo jumbo when measured against everything we think we know about the observable universe. It's a Twilight Zone episode. Or akin to Reed Richards and the Ultimate Nullifier.

A kind of aside, but I've been watching a Twilight Zone marathon recently, and I'm amazed at how prescient many of the themes are with respect to today's era:

examples include:

AI

jobs being replaced by AI

genetic engineering and vanity

The original, and even some episodes from later, were really interesting... even if they weren't all well made, they were very watchable and at times thought provoking.

Yea, most DC Sci Fi undervalued. I keep all I get. Great covers and stories

DC had Marvel beat hands down in the sci fi dept.

a4b209be978f905aecfc34a369f58d68.jpg

well thats a superhero book not a sci fi book also its mostly just photos I still stand by my statement.

What is the distinction? None of them were 'hard sci fi', they all probably fit better into the same category as Star Wars - FF included - over generic sci-fi.

+1

Science heroes, using advanced technology in their adventures. Reed Richards, Hank Pym, Tony Stark, as good examples.

Not all the books had Adam Strange. In fact overall, few did. And when he was in a book there were 2 other stories. They were all hard science fiction short stories. No heroes besides the occasional Atomic Knights.

For an example the first book I posted, 'The sky High Man' was about a space traveller who returns to Earth after a long voyage and discovers the part of the universe he was in was expanding faster than the part where Earth was so when he returned he was too big! This is hard sci fi.

This is typical of 90% of the DC sci fi stories and there is no science hero involved.

I have a different view of what makes something hard science fiction. Your example story isn't hard science fiction, it's mumbo jumbo when measured against everything we think we know about the observable universe. It's a Twilight Zone episode. Or akin to Reed Richards and the Ultimate Nullifier.

These were comic books. You're not gonna find the Foundation Trilogy or anything here. For comic book stories these are hard sci fi and vastly superior to anything Marvel did.

From what i read DC polled kids and apes were top of the list thus the many DC ape covers. Jimmy Olsen books really went ape.

I've been reading a lot of Adam Strange stories-he should throw his ray gun away-it never has any effect whatsoever on any menace he ever faces. Maybe get something more effective like a pea-shooter.