• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiantman's slabdata.com (because you love those charts...)

21 posts in this topic

Since 2002, I've attempted to bore as many of you as possible with my data, tables, and charts for CGC census information through my posts on the CGC message board.

Realizing that 15 years of scattered text confetti around the board means that I have no idea where most of my old chartvomit is... so I decided to start putting them in one place.

slabdata.com for all slab data nerds needs.

Warning: It has words. Scroll quickly and look for the pictures if you're lexiconphobic.

If for some reason you're not already aware of the endless fun that can be had with my older website for CGC census data (current and historical), you'll also want to visit CGCdata.com to look up your favorite CGC 1.8 Qualified Whatiswrongwithme-Man #1 census numbers. (thumbs u

Enjoy! (Nerd.)

This is great stuff! I would bet you have quite a bit more knowledge of statistical analysis and perhaps a fair amount of time on your hands to have compiled all of this terrific information. CGC data provides only a limited number of variables (date of the book, signature, variant, universal v. restored/conserved, grade, page quality, certification number, title). I wonder if you have considered running some correlation or regression analyses to see how certain variables relate to each other, e.g. whether restoration was detected in a bigger part of the submissions in the early years, how page quality might correlate with grade in certain eras, etc. I suspect the possible information you could develop is only as limited as your imagination. Can you access the registry data and perhaps use the point assignments as proxies for value? I'd love to know what the trends have been with superhero v. crime v. PCH v. other genres, but that would require far more data input than anyone would likely want or be able to undertake. Thank you for the effort you have put into this. Please keep educating us.

The data that I have comes from the CGC census, so I don't have anything about page quality or certification numbers (if you mean the serial number).

I haven't considered "data mining" the registry, but that's a possibility. hm

Do you have any of the earlier data for your Popular Submissions by Decade as it seems to have only gone as far back as the 1960's? hm

If I remember correctly, those took a long time to code and calculate, so I would guess that I did 1990s back through the 1960s and stopped because I got tired. lol

1950s posted:

http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2017/01/23/1950s-comics-popular-submissions-to-cgc-from-2000-2015/

1940s posted:

http://www.slabdata.com/blog/2017/01/23/1940s-comics-popular-submissions-to-cgc-from-2000-to-2015/

The counts are too small per year to make any sense of the 1930s for this kind of report layout.

hey, how about added the # of copies slabbed too! Im wondering how those Playboys made the top 10 in 2013, whether it was 20 copies or only say 3 ... but actual numbers (which you must have in order to populate the charts would be an interesting missing piece of info, no?

hey, how about added the # of copies slabbed too! Im wondering how those Playboys made the top 10 in 2013, whether it was 20 copies or only say 3 ... but actual numbers (which you must have in order to populate the charts would be an interesting missing piece of info, no?

Playboy #1 made the 2013 list because of 83 submissions, and Playboy #6 (in the 10th position) was 35 submissions.

Adding those counts to the tables would really make a mess. lol