• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Trek, which series was the best?

69 posts in this topic

Finally finished watching the last of "Enterprise"

I like all of them for different reasons.

The original was just that, the original - it launched one of the greatest (if not THE greatest) franchises in Sci-Fi history

Next generation had by far the best captain, no one topped Picard in my book, and the Data character is definitely one of the best.

Deep space nine took Star Trek in a whole different direction with the long Dominion storyline that went most of 3 seasons. And there was one of my favorite episodes of all time "Take me out to the Holosuite"

Voyager had the most suspense with a single ship constantly searching for supplies and surrounded by enemies. The idea of being marooned in the middle of the Borg space was great suspense at every turn. I think this series did the "Borg" the best.

I like Enterprise as it filled in the gaps of how things wound up the way they were in the other series. I hated the whole Xindi storyline. The rest was really well done and tied up lose ends nicely.

I doubt anyone would pick Voyager, but if there were one series I would want to see re-done it would Voyager with a better crew facing down the Borg.

Voyager should've been back home as soon as they found that shifting wormhole that had a stable exit point in the Alpha quadrant (as first seen in TNG). But no, Captain Janeway had to go all Sally Jesse Raphael once again because those two Ferengi who got trapped in the Delta quadrant did what Ferengi do. And no one else in the crew could pipe up and state that they should just go home because the Ferengi would either:

1. Get waxed by one or more of the native inhabitants who finally got sick of their mess.

or

2. FREAKIN' DIE EVENTUALLY!

So no, Voyager doesn't get my vote.

Goes like this:

TNG

Enterprise

DS9

TOS

Voyager

....done!

Oh yea, there was a question...I think Voyager is the only one that could be re-done possibly better and I wouldn't miss any of the old version. I think DS9 could have been the best series with a better commander/captain than Sisko. His acting was just plain laughable at times. Yes he did get a biiiiit better with the beard, but not very much....still silly as hell!

Can't touch TNG...that is my childhood moral compass!

Edited by Mystafo

I have been watching the original series on Netflix. Up to season 2 episode 23. I liked the Next Generation series, too. If I had to pick a favorite, I would go with the original.

I have been watching the original series on Netflix. Up to season 2 episode 23. I liked the Next Generation series, too. If I had to pick a favorite, I would go with the original.

Season 3 is where the original show starts to get quite patchy.

Season 3 is where the original show starts to get quite patchy.

I think the second season is better than the first one.

My favorites are

1 - Original series

2 - TNG

and then there's the rest. Never got into DS9 but I kinda want to revisit it.

I'm right now going through Voyager as I only watched it sporadically when it was originally on. It's kind of frustrating yet enjoyable at the same time. I see zero re-watch value though. I've wanted to punch Neelix several times. He can be incredibly annoying.

Enterprise? Only saw a few episodes when it first ran so I'm ambivalent towards it

TNG

DSN

TOS

Voyager

Enterprise

I was into Voyager initially and then it got repetitive. Only saw the first few episodes of Enterprise, couldn't get into it.

I reallly grew to love each character in TNG for what they brought to the success of the ongoing mission. Even Wesley Crusher had a few moments towards the end, ?. Really miss this show.

Hands down DS9 to me. Easily the best written, best acted, and best ensemble cast IMHO. I also think the best Trek episode ever is from DS9, In The Pale Moonlight. It's one of my favorite shows ever even though I feel the ending was a huge disservice. With any shows with this many episodes there are going to be lows but by in large I loved it.

I'm not old enough to care about the original series, it has not aged well, and while maybe for its day it was as good as contemporaries were in terms of acting, but I think minus a couple of exceptions the acting is awful. I will say that the films are vastly better than the episodes too, though in saying that I don't love them either. they are just watchable. That said, I don't get what people see in Wrath of Khan minus that I find it hilarious in small bits where some I guess find it great, serious, and complex. I view the original series in the way I view something like Batman '66, which I understand holds a special place in people's heart, mostly perhaps due to a lack of options, but that show is unwatchable to me. Context needs to be given to older material but it does not effect what I actually like sitting down and watching.

I like Next Generation well enough. I think this had an advantage of being on all the time during a time where still, there wasn't a whole lot out there if you were into SF, and then had enough episodes where they could run these almost constantly. Stewart is such a steady actor he makes everything at least almost watchable in the way Shatner does not for me. I also think it had both pronounced highs and lows, and a lot of the stuff with Wesley Crusher was awful. Still, all in all, a show that was pretty damn good, loved the cast, and had very high highs. It's very easy for me to see why people may love this iteration and I, for the most part, do too. I think Next Gen nails the finish in a way the others do not.

Voyager just never interested me. There's certain elements that just fundamentally I railed against. One being I really disliked the Maquis from DS9. Don't get me wrong, I liked some of the episodes that revolved around them just because the cast of DS9 was so strong and it was so well written but they weren't my favorites and the dynamic of the mix was something that didn't appeal to me. I would have pushed them out of a hatch. I think the characters are weaker, I don't think it gets better, even though many friends of mine who cover SF point to many episodes in Voyager being among the strongest in Trek. I know Seven of Nine got a huge push later and seemed to be on a ton of magazines at the time because Jeri Ryan had it going on but it just never clicked with me.

Enterprise has one of the worst intro songs ever. For a long time I took my first impression of the series and disliked it quite strongly but not too long ago I binged it, and I have to say this thing starts moving in its second season. As an aside, good lord, Jolene Blaylock is ridiculously good looking. Trek has had a number of attractive women in their shows but Blaylock oozes sexuality in this role in a way that contrasts with her role as a Vulcan. Again, by the time it ended, I felt like the finale was a disservice to the turn around the show made in quality, and by then, I was wanting more. I like Bakula a lot but I have to admit his casting was a but of a turnoff to me. I loved Quantum Leap to me, but he still looked exactly like the Quantum Leap guy and his performance didn't disassociate that from me.

This new Trek they are working on. I was very excited for, but then it was announced as a prequel (meh), and lost Fuller as a showrunner (who is doing American Gods now). Lots of delays on this one and on an untested platform.

So in short:

DS9 one of the best SF shows ever for me and clearly the best Trek

Next Gen a quality show that merits anyone's love for it.

Enterprise gets better but could have lived without.

Voyager I just don't get.

Original series: pretty awful.