• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,111 posts in this topic

Seven years ago when I set out to put together a nice Weird Tales run I also decided to try for the sister publications, Oriental Stories and Magic Carpet.

Boy, are they a lot tougher.

For the first two years I couldn't find any. Then in 2013 I managed to find 4 of the 5 Magic Carpets and 1 of the 9 Oriental Stories. In 2014 I upgraded 2 of the Magic Carpets and added another Oriental Stories. 2015 saw the completion of the Magic Carpet set and the addition of 3 more Oriental Stories, bring the set to 5 out of 9. In 2016 I completed Oriental Stories and upgraded a few more issues.

And today, with the addition of a new collection I just acquired, I've upgraded several more, bringing them all into the high grade range. :banana:

So here they are, the complete high grade sets of Oriental Stories and Magic Carpet.

0otonYsl.jpgIra2B8Al.jpgP7VYDyvl.jpgMZYsRJOl.jpgUCb7TZul.jpg3FCpNncl.jpgZ7Rr7Njl.jpgVMkk7UPl.jpgk6ZCGh9l.jpg12JGLUTl.jpgs9Me9GNl.jpglgDQRx5l.jpgyT4gwwJl.jpgcOqK5HPl.jpg

Congrats Todd, beautiful sets!!!!

All America Sports Magazine, Jul-Aug 1936

I picked this up at a comic show over the weekend. It's got a nicely rendered Joe Dimaggio cover but I don't know who did it.

It's interesting how early this pulp came out in Dimaggio's career. Based on the cover date of Jul-Aug 1936, I think it was probably on the newsstands in May or June, and Dimaggio's major league debut was May 3.

The pulp is mostly baseball fiction, but the Dimaggio cover story is a 4 page preview of the heralded young phenom.

All in all, a cool book that I'm happy to have.

4OdJCZKh.jpg

Very cool cover, PK. Thanks for sharing. I like the Red Rajjah one the best.

Love the early stone litho printing on those. It allowed colors that were out of the four color spectrum.

Can you elaborate on this? I know nothing about it.

All America Sports Magazine, Jul-Aug 1936

I picked this up at a comic show over the weekend. It's got a nicely rendered Joe Dimaggio cover but I don't know who did it.

It's interesting how early this pulp came out in Dimaggio's career. Based on the cover date of Jul-Aug 1936, I think it was probably on the newsstands in May or June, and Dimaggio's major league debut was May 3.

The pulp is mostly baseball fiction, but the Dimaggio cover story is a 4 page preview of the heralded young phenom.

All in all, a cool book that I'm happy to have.

4OdJCZKh.jpg

All America Sports Magazine, June 1934

I liked the Dimaggio one so much I bought another baseball cover from this series. This is the June 1934 issue featuring NY Giants Hall of Fame pitcher Carl Hubbell on the cover. Inside, there's a 4 page autobiographical story ostensibly by Hubbell.

Hubbell had a great career (probably a top 20 pitcher all-time) and won the 1933 and 1936 NL MVP awards, but he's probably best known today for his feat at the 1934 All-Star Game. In succession, he struck out future Hall of Famers Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons, and Joe Cronin. That happened July 10, 1934, soon after this June 1934 issue was on the stands.

tVRnyKlh.jpg

Very cool cover, PK. Thanks for sharing. I like the Red Rajjah one the best.

Love the early stone litho printing on those. It allowed colors that were out of the four color spectrum.

Can you elaborate on this? I know nothing about it.

Thanks, RedFury. I'm awed by the rate you seem to be adding holy pulp grails like those Magic Carpets to your collection. Major congrats!

There are quite a few sites online that can explain the stone lithography process better than me, but here's a brief intro in the context of something I also collect - antique cigar labels (though I like the boxes themselves):

http://www.cigarlabeljunkie.com/Html/StoneLith.html

Any single color - or ink - that could be conjured was applied directly to the image, one after another, individually. Laborious, yes.

Four color printing involves cyan, magenta and yellow (along with black), and although a wide range of colors is obtainable, the quality of the old handwrought images seemed never again matched (funny, coming from a four color devourer like myself, I know!).