• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monthly Sales Figures

665 posts in this topic

The recent marketing meeting at Marvel Comics led to an idea...

this is how to increase distribution... javascript:quickReply(9738839,1,0)

Actually, this is nice for retailers too. Taking care of the people who take care of you is always a sound philosophy. :applause:

Assuming customers are actually still buying Marvel books......

I don't buy many from month to month but I do buy them cheap in bulk and have read some good ones recently. I liked The Ultimates, Moon Knight ( Lemire is extraordinary ), Spider-man/Deadpool ( fun book for old school fans ), and Star Wars are all worth reading. (thumbs u

The recent marketing meeting at Marvel Comics led to an idea...

this is how to increase distribution...

Actually, this is nice for retailers too. Taking care of the people who take care of you is always a sound philosophy. :applause:

And the devaluation of standard comics continues. All the money is in variants now, who cares about worthless standard comics anymore?

So.....stores will end up with 10% more new Marvel drek that they can't unload even in cheap bins? That sounds like a winner plan.

Maybe they should do something totally off the board and crazy like retaining writers and artists that can put out quality comics?

So.....stores will end up with 10% more new Marvel drek that they can't unload even in cheap bins? That sounds like a winner plan.

Maybe they should do something totally off the board and crazy like retaining writers and artists that can put out quality comics?

This. (thumbs u

Is this news related to why Marvel is giving away 10% more comics for free to retailers?

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/01/06/fans-retailers-react-marvel-dropping-buy-physical-get-digital-comics-deal/

That wasn't great was it ? Always knew numbers were rough estimates but that makes one company's books even rougher. 2c

Black Hammer is holding strong. It has a somewhat limited market but I'd absolutely love if this were a TV show. I just can't get enough of it.

Briggs Land keeps dropping month by month. Disappointing to say the least. Very cool story that is exactly like anything else on the shelves.

December 2016

Yearly sales were flat for 2016 versus 2015. A 0% change surprises me, especially with DC's Rebirth hitting hard this year. Looking forward to a great 2017 !

Followed by Marvel tanking. (shrug)

In any case, thanks to Marvel's asinine change to the Bonus Digital Edition program, I'm cutting down the Marvel pull list and will stop sampling their new series. That gives me more funds available for smaller pubs and trades. Already added Black Eyed Kids to the pull list.

(thumbs u

To the BEK. It will make you look at kids after dark a little differently than normal. :roflmao:

As for Marvel, they've had some enjoyable books but not a lot of them imo. It still seems they do best with natural vs forced developments. Hopefully they fix your digital deal. I read a lot of stuff digitally now though it isn't as kind on the billfold being the final user. Haha !

December 2016

Yearly sales were flat for 2016 versus 2015. A 0% change surprises me, especially with DC's Rebirth hitting hard this year. Looking forward to a great 2017 !

Yikes, Rebirth did big numbers too. Marvel, another reboot always helps except that they had Star Wars in 2015.

Trades up at all?

Black Hammer is holding strong. It has a somewhat limited market but I'd absolutely love if this were a TV show. I just can't get enough of it.

Briggs Land keeps dropping month by month. Disappointing to say the least. Very cool story that is exactly like anything else on the shelves.

Briggs Land seems like it could be the new Sons of Anarchy if it moves forward.

(thumbs u

To the BEK. It will make you look at kids after dark a little differently than normal. :roflmao:

As for Marvel, they've had some enjoyable books but not a lot of them imo. It still seems they do best with natural vs forced developments. Hopefully they fix your digital deal. I read a lot of stuff digitally now though it isn't as kind on the billfold being the final user. Haha !

Heh, I never sell anyway.

Good thing with digital is I don't have to buy multiple copies (one reader, one to keep pristine) to feed my OCD. No separate variants thus far, too. Bonus, DC includes both regular cover and variants when you purchase digital comics.

(thumbs u

Also, I don't have to keep track of digital purchases - Comixology does that automatically. I have 3+ print copies of certain issues because sometimes I forget I already have it. I recently started cataloging my meager collection via CLZ Comics for iOS to prevent future purchase of unwanted dupes.

Physical comic storage has also been becoming a problem for my print collection. Thinking of donating the dupes to Comics4Kids or something. I make backups of my digital comics on multiple hard drives but storage is easy. One portable 4TB HDD (~$100) can hold probably around 30,000-60,000 issues in just a few cubic inches and even three of those would still use less space than a stack of, say, 20 single issues.

December 2016

Yikes, Rebirth did big numbers too. Marvel, another reboot always helps except that they had Star Wars in 2015.

Trades up at all?

Briggs Land seems like it could be the new Sons of Anarchy if it moves forward.

Miss SOA immensely though the last season was a bit over the top. Opie was always my favorite. He reminded me a lot of a biker buddy of mine.

(thumbs u

Heh, I never sell anyway.

Good thing with digital is I don't have to buy multiple copies (one reader, one to keep pristine) to feed my OCD. No separate variants thus far, too. Bonus, DC includes both regular cover and variants when you purchase digital comics.

(thumbs u

Also, I don't have to keep track of digital purchases - Comixology does that automatically. I have 3+ print copies of certain issues because sometimes I forget I already have it. I recently started cataloging my meager collection via CLZ Comics for iOS to prevent future purchase of unwanted dupes.

Physical comic storage has also been becoming a problem for my print collection. Thinking of donating the dupes to Comics4Kids or something. I make backups of my digital comics on multiple hard drives but storage is easy. One portable 4TB HDD (~$100) can hold probably around 30,000-60,000 issues in just a few cubic inches and even three of those would still use less space than a stack of, say, 20 single issues.

There is a lot to be said for convenience and a lack of clutter. The wife and I have discussed downsizing as we get a little older. No way to do that at the moment though I'm working on it. lol

December 2016

Another way of saying this would be that we'd have a negative number in sales if not for Rebirth. Marvel is close to becoming a black hole.

December 2016

Another way of saying this would be that we'd have a negative number in sales if not for Rebirth. Marvel is close to becoming a black hole.

Agreed. Take away the #1 issues, and Marvel is nothing.

Why are they still trying to force Miles Morales down our throats. His title sinks lower and lower every month. Not even in the Top 50. Time to send him back to this other Universe.

Hmm, curious, do the DC comics Loot Crate go through Diamond? Because January Loot Crate is an Action Comics #1 reprint and it would be pretty darned cool to see that as number 1 on sales charts. :grin:

Edited by aerischan

I finished my analysis of the Star Wars title numbers in November and December:

Darth Vader's Absence Sinks Star Wars in November

Yoda Lifts Star Wars Out of the Bog in December

For December 2016 sales, I think Marvel probably did either deep discounting or free overships of Star Wars #26.

If those are all actual sales, it doesn't make sense that Batman #13 ($2.99, 108K est. units) is at #9 in dollar rankings while Star Wars #26 ($3.99, 104K est. units) is only at #10.