• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

God Country, Image, Cates, Shaw, Wordie, Hill
1 1

89 posts in this topic

I'd be very happy to be in this thread raving about this book in four or five months :wishluck:

As a fan of Invincible, I don't know what I'll do when East of West finishes. I've already lost Manhattan Projects!

MP is coming back, I just talked to Nick about it. He and Hickman are doing a separate limited series, and then jumping back into MP.

I wish they would have just continued with MP, but I'm OK with the delay if it means they get a chance to recharge their creative batteries and the end product is better for it.

IMO, Donny's two previous efforts, GHOST FLEET and THE PAYBACKS were both solid books which were marketed poorly by Dark Horse and never found their audience. The only difference with GOD COUNTRY is Image. For Dark Horse's sake, hope they figure out what Image is doing right.

Image has built up a lot of good will after series like The Walking Dead and Saga. Because of that built-up reputation, I reckon readers are more likely to sample new titles from Image than from other small pubs.

I'd be very happy to be in this thread raving about this book in four or five months :wishluck:

As a fan of Invincible, I don't know what I'll do when East of West finishes. I've already lost Manhattan Projects!

MP is coming back, I just talked to Nick about it. He and Hickman are doing a separate limited series, and then jumping back into MP.

I wish they would have just continued with MP, but I'm OK with the delay if it means they get a chance to recharge their creative batteries and the end product is better for it.

I'm still salty about it going to a series of mini-series, but... yes please.

I wasn't a big fan of the art(the linework was ok but the colors were bugging the out of me) but the story seems ok. I wasn't too high on the premise to begin with so I'll probably wait until the first arc is collected to give it a real go.

Edited by Geaux

I know this is a spec gold mine; but how's the story/art in your guys opinion?

Reviews

The reason it is a spec goldmine, among other things, is that the reviews range from good to great. It isn't rare to see a highly rated book on Comic Book Roundup but it is quite uncommon to see a new book with nothing but positive reviews.

BTW, there is a lot of useful on that site. From critics to fan reviews, you'll find something that you like if you take the time to look. (thumbs u

By comparison, these were the reviews for THE current modern spec book, Seven to Eternity.

Reviews

There were some people not so enamored with it and the 1A for that book is $70 and up. Other factors such as the artist and writer being bigger names on Seven to Eternity count for some of it but the story usually matters most to people...with apologies to AH!, JSC, and Dell'Otto books. lol

I gotta be honest, I have no idea what the reviews are really based on here. It isn't a bad book, but honestly, so little happens in this first book that it's mostly just a perplexing final panel or two.

The writing isn't bad. The art isn't bad (it does not remind me of Scalped, though it shares a muted color palette with that book). Not a lot happens :shrug:

Reviews

The reason it is a spec goldmine, among other things, is that the reviews range from good to great. It isn't rare to see a highly rated book on Comic Book Roundup but it is quite uncommon to see a new book with nothing but positive reviews.

BTW, there is a lot of useful on that site. From critics to fan reviews, you'll find something that you like if you take the time to look. (thumbs u

Don't want to come off the wrong way, there's no heat at all, but just so you know I check Comic Book Roundup every week. Not trying to come off like a tool here; but I legitimately was asking what everyone here thought about it; as the majority of this thread has been about spec value and prices.

I do value the opinions of the people here on content of the books we invest in as well as the $ and cents. This is still comic book message board after all.

Thanks Square Chaos, I got a similar impression tbh.

Reviews

Don't want to come off the wrong way, there's no heat at all, but just so you know I check Comic Book Roundup every week. Not trying to come off like a tool here; but I legitimately was asking what everyone here thought about it; as the majority of this thread has been about spec value and prices.

I do value the opinions of the people here on content of the books we invest in as well as the $ and cents. This is still comic book message board after all.

I see. Not taken the wrong way. I was using comicbookroundup.com because they're comic readers just like you and me. They're also normally quite diverse in their opinions as I'm sure you already know.

I personally liked the art AND the muted colors because it sets up the last page very well. No idea if thats a good guy or bad guy there but he looks like a badass.

As for the story, its easy to relate to the hardship of older family members dealing with health issues and this particular health issue hits close to home for me. A close relative can make everyone else a stranger very quickly. My grandmother was dealing with this when she passed away. With over 5,000,000 people having Alzheimer's in the USA alone, you probably know more people than you think dealing with it but back to the book.

Seeing someone frail becoming someone powerful ( Shazam/Captain America ? ) and waiting to see what the ramifications of a son/husband/father making a no win choice interested me too. I want to know where the sword, tornado, and creatures came from and why did they only effect the old man. Or did that storm touch more people that we just don't know about to this point. What were the black and purple creatures that came out of the tornado ? I'm interested in seeing if we're reading Wizard of Oz or Rising Stars. (shrug)

I like when books are told in the Star Wars way..." long time ago, out in West Texas, there was a storm...". I also enjoyed "No Country for Old Men" and after reading the intro by Cormac McCarthy ( wasn't sure who this was until I googled it ), I read the book using the same kind of twang in my head was used in that movie. Weird as it sounds, I have a voice I use for every character I read. I'm almost ALWAYS disappointed when a movie or TV show changes them. lol

I don't know how much more story they could have put in issue #1 but I get that it wasn't going to wow everybody. I went through these same questions 4 years ago with East of West. Loved it then and still do. Hopefully this thing picks up for you and hopefully this is worth reading 4 years from now. Hope that helps with what the answers you were looking for. (thumbs u

Reviews

I see. Not taken the wrong way. I was using comicbookroundup.com because they're comic readers just like you and me. They're also normally quite diverse in their opinions as I'm sure you already know.

I personally liked the art AND the muted colors because it sets up the last page very well. No idea if thats a good guy or bad guy there but he looks like a badass.

As for the story, its easy to relate to the hardship of older family members dealing with health issues and this particular health issue hits close to home for me. A close relative can make everyone else a stranger very quickly. My grandmother was dealing with this when she passed away. With over 5,000,000 people having Alzheimer's in the USA alone, you probably know more people than you think dealing with it but back to the book.

Seeing someone frail becoming someone powerful ( Shazam/Captain America ? ) and waiting to see what the ramifications of a son/husband/father making a no win choice interested me too. I want to know where the sword, tornado, and creatures came from and why did they only effect the old man. Or did that storm touch more people that we just don't know about to this point. What were the black and purple creatures that came out of the tornado ? I'm interested in seeing if we're reading Wizard of Oz or Rising Stars. (shrug)

I like when books are told in the Star Wars way..." long time ago, out in West Texas, there was a storm...". I also enjoyed "No Country for Old Men" and after reading the intro by Cormac McCarthy ( wasn't sure who this was until I googled it ), I read the book using the same kind of twang in my head was used in that movie. Weird as it sounds, I have a voice I use for every character I read. I'm almost ALWAYS disappointed when a movie or TV show changes them. lol

I don't know how much more story they could have put in issue #1 but I get that it wasn't going to wow everybody. I went through these same questions 4 years ago with East of West. Loved it then and still do. Hopefully this thing picks up for you and hopefully this is worth reading 4 years from now. Hope that helps with what the answers you were looking for. (thumbs u

All good buddy, no hard feelings whatsoever. I've just been unable to pick up a copy myself (due to its rocketing prices) so was curious if the book was hitting the right notes for ppl here.

This issue #1 has been a steady $10-$15 seller since the first day. It appeared for a moment that the A cover was bringing more than the B cover but looking a few moments ago, the B seems to be picking back up. From a spec point of view, there have been no lots larger than 3 books sold since day one. That means lots of people getting their hands on these as there have been over 440 different sales in just over 3 weeks.

Issue 1 sales on ebay

From a story point of view, the covers and story descriptions are pretty exciting, especially the cover 2B and the plot synopsis for issue #4.

2B

3B

4B

The tale seems to be quite a bit larger than the state of Texas can handle but we'll see what happens in the future. Donny Cates twitter account is a good place to get updates. (thumbs u

On a side note. Cover 1A is beautiful depiction of what happens at some point inside the book. For issues 2, 3, and 4, the B covers are all considerably better imo.

:hi:

Dude !!! Where've you been ?

Dealing with the baby trying to keep up with you guy's i just ran through the thread excited to be back on with my bad grammar and run on sentences lol

Debating on weather i should jump in late on Seven to eternity it sold out before i could get one and every week i get more and more disappointed. lol

Not sure about Seven to Eternity. Good story and $80 or so for a 4 month old book. I sold mine. Maybe it goes higher but it was high enough for me. lol

This is another story with a little southern flavor. Kind of like another one of our favorites. ;)