• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

14,941 posts in this topic

Merry Christmas everyone! You guys are the best. Here's your Christmas

presents for being good all year :)

ST-087-85.jpg

ST-098-94.jpg

Merry Christmas all !

Love the presents Rosland !

That ST98 is :cloud9:

Hope everyone grabs a grail in 2017 :)

-bc

Welcome to 2017 !

To start the new year, just grabbed this :

tos_16_zpsrflum3c0.jpg

It has the same numbering (104??) on the inside cover (above the CCA stamp) as a couple of other slabs I have.

Also grabbed a handful of raw books off Philreal and a TTA2 from Dale's recent sales thread. Missed that Colossus issue that Vintage sold yesterday.

Hope everyone had a great holidays !

-bc

Welcome to 2017 !

tos_16_zpsrflum3c0.jpg

It has the same numbering (104??) on the inside cover (above the CCA stamp) as a couple of other slabs I have.

Also grabbed a handful of raw books off Philreal and a TTA2 from Dale's recent sales thread. Missed that Colossus issue that Vintage sold yesterday.

-bc

Great book !!!!

I am of the school of thought that most PHM "prototype" claims are just wishful thinking. However, ToS #16 has a pretty solid argument! Nicely done!

I agree, just look at Metallo and compare it to early Iron Man. How can there be no reference on the CGC label at all ? Nice book, 8.5 is an amazing grade for this era.

Edited by bomber-bob

I am of the school of thought that most PHM "prototype" claims are just wishful thinking. However, ToS #16 has a pretty solid argument! Nicely done!

I agree (thumbs u

Think most of the "prototype" claims came from a comfortable stock of characters that the artists were able to crank out on a monthly basis. This meets both company deadlines and pays the bills.

As an example - kav's thread in CG about AAF14 having so many Spiderman related prototypes. Those were just characters Ditko utilized regularly in other stories.

It's still really cool to see the evolution/development of the characters (or character ideas) from one period to the next :)

-bc

Welcome to 2017 !

tos_16_zpsrflum3c0.jpg

-bc

Awesome book, congrats!!

Edited by RICK STARR

Merry Christmas everyone! You guys are the best. Here's your Christmas

presents for being good all year :)

ST-087-85.jpg

This is a fabulous thread, one of the very best on the board! And that Strange Tales 87 has one of the most spectacular covers of all the ones in this thread.

(thumbs u

Yeah, the ST 87 ranks right up there for best PH covers. Also, it one of the more difficult issues to find in high grades. So is this issue which I have yet to acquire in great condition. This copy looks great, but has a light sub crease.

STRANGE TALES 73 photo STRTALES73_zps800bcbcf.jpg

Grottu is indeed elusive in high grade!

Who has all the nice copies? I say it's..."Them!"

Great reference to a classic flick!

I'm also having trouble finding a high grade copy of both this and ST75....but the hunt continues !

-bc

Grottu is indeed elusive in high grade!

Who has all the nice copies? I say it's..."Them!"

Great reference to a classic flick!

I'm also having trouble finding a high grade copy of both this and ST75....but the hunt continues !

-bc

ST #75 is a toughie in anything approaching midgrade even.