• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man #25 1:1000 Variant
1 1

138 posts in this topic

Just putting this out here to show the scumbag move Marvel is doing with ASM 25. Not only is there a 1:1000 variant but they raised the price from 3.99 to 9.99. As a shop owner myself, this is laughable and it seems Marvel has learned nothing from the past mistakes. Good luck to those who attempt to grab this....

Hmmm...a 1:1000 variant on a $10 cover price book. That is what, around a $5000 order for most shops? So, this will be a Del'Otto, Hughes, Campbell collaboration of all the spidey ladies in what would likely need to be a inappropriate situation? Or have Ditko sketch a spidey face on a blank for anyone who makes that order? Perhaps a Stan Lee sketch, drawing a $ and a couple "HA HA HA."

Not sure what I would rather have...

Hmmm...a 1:1000 variant on a $10 cover price book. That is what, around a $5000 order for most shops? So, this will be a Del'Otto, Hughes, Campbell collaboration of all the spidey ladies in what would likely need to be a inappropriate situation? Or have Ditko sketch a spidey face on a blank for anyone who makes that order? Perhaps a Stan Lee sketch, drawing a $ and a couple "HA HA HA."

Not sure what I would rather have...

:wishluck:

The variant game is past old by now. I wish it would stop...but the only way is to quit buying them, which is not an option for most obsessed collectors.

I quit collecting Spawn because the variant game is RIDICULOUS with that title. In fact, I think I'm done with moderns altogether.

The variant game is past old by now. I wish it would stop...but the only way is to quit buying them, which is not an option for most obsessed collectors.

I quit collecting Spawn because the variant game is RIDICULOUS with that title. In fact, I think I'm done with moderns altogether.

Sadly, variants wont stop until publishers stop producing them. You're right, the game is getting pretty old by now.

Do any shops even buy 1000 copies of any issue (other than midtown or maybe TFAW)?

Or does it even matter because typically these super variants are sold at the break even price?

Do any shops even buy 1000 copies of any issue (other than midtown or maybe TFAW)?

Or does it even matter because typically these super variants are sold at the break even price?

Even if it was possible to break even by selling the 1:1000 variant, those 1,000 books still have to be sold to make a profit.

Even if it was possible to break even by selling the 1:1000 variant, those 1,000 books still have to be sold to make a profit.

If it is possible to sell the 1:1000 variant to break even, then 1 of the remaining 1000 books needs to be sold to make a profit.

If it is possible to sell the 1:1000 variant to break even, then 1 of the remaining 1000 books needs to be sold to make a profit.

Ha...so the other 999 sit there and depreciate....?

I am one of those people that focuses solely on the ASM title and who has invested a lot of time and money to get a near-complete collection: newsstands, direct editions, variants, even the insane number of 140+ variants of ASM666. When the 1:1000 variants started to appear, I worried that eventually there would be one of these ratio-variants for ASM. Now I ask myself the question: do I want to spend such a lot of money on this book instead of a upgrade of one of my Silver Age books? And if I do, will I be able to find one? And if I find one and spend all this money, what will be next? Another relaunch with 50+ variants? A 1:2000 variant which will cost even more? And if I don't find this variant or I am not willing to pay this money, is there any reason to continue my collection or should I break it off at ASM328, ASM441, ASM700, SS31, ASM18 or ASMRYV5? Or should I stop collecting variants, get rid of all variants I have and just continue with the regulars?

I really don't understand why Marvel does this. The ratio is such that it will not gain them a lot of extra orders. On the contrary, it makes completists like me start to think whether it is better to stop collecting variants or the series altogether. That can't hardly be the intention of Marvel, can it?

I guess you could sell the 1st book for $5000

then maybe sell 200-300 for $10 each in the first month, assuming you're a big store (and hopefully the reg cover looks good and has a hot artist). Then after a month put the rest in a box for $5 per. Hopefully you can sell another 200 issues over the next year. Then at the end of the year you can lower the price even more for a big 'special' sale. Then a few months after that you can blow out the rest at $1 per or donate them. Maybe you can get $8000-$9000 of value out of the $5000 investment. Not awful, but I think you've gotta be a big store to front that much cash and profit that much.

I guess you could sell the 1st book for $5000

then maybe sell 200-300 for $10 each in the first month, assuming you're a big store (and hopefully the reg cover looks good and has a hot artist). Then after a month put the rest in a box for $5 per. Hopefully you can sell another 200 issues over the next year. Then at the end of the year you can lower the price even more for a big 'special' sale. Then a few months after that you can blow out the rest at $1 per or donate them. Maybe you can get $8000-$9000 of value out of the $5000 investment. Not awful, but I think you've gotta be a big store to front that much cash and profit that much.

Who in the is paying $5k for a variant off the shelf?! I guess we will see how rabid those collectors are. Oh, they will sell for that too.

I feel like we just had this conversation. Oh wait, we did!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2380246&fpart=3890

Difference is walking dead 163 is a 25 cents book and this is a $9.99 book.

The similarity is what are you going to do with all of those issues that you can't sell? Thus, how is a shop profiting off of the initial investment?

Edited by ygogolak

I am one of those people that focuses solely on the ASM title and who has invested a lot of time and money to get a near-complete collection: newsstands, direct editions, variants, even the insane number of 140+ variants of ASM666. When the 1:1000 variants started to appear, I worried that eventually there would be one of these ratio-variants for ASM. Now I ask myself the question: do I want to spend such a lot of money on this book instead of a upgrade of one of my Silver Age books? And if I do, will I be able to find one? And if I find one and spend all this money, what will be next? Another relaunch with 50+ variants? A 1:2000 variant which will cost even more? And if I don't find this variant or I am not willing to pay this money, is there any reason to continue my collection or should I break it off at ASM328, ASM441, ASM700, SS31, ASM18 or ASMRYV5? Or should I stop collecting variants, get rid of all variants I have and just continue with the regulars?

I really don't understand why Marvel does this. The ratio is such that it will not gain them a lot of extra orders. On the contrary, it makes completists like me start to think whether it is better to stop collecting variants or the series altogether. That can't hardly be the intention of Marvel, can it?

I started off like you, trying to get a near complete collection with all the editions and variants, then when I saw how many variants there was for the reboot of ASM, I decided to just get the regular covers of every issue. Then, I decided to just stop at 700 because of all the reboots Marvel had started. Then the recent clone conspiracy storyline reminded me of the dumb sins past storyline and decided to stop at 500 instead, to avoid that. And now, I just stopped trying to complete a run to 500 because I wanted to downsize from having so many boxes. So if you head down this route that I took, it actually feels like a big relief trying not to get everything ASM.

I don't know if this is Marvel's intention, but it helped me save more money :D