• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can 9.8's have bindery tears?
1 1

57 posts in this topic

According to text of new Overstreet grading guide: absolutely NO bindery tears on 9.8

According to examples of new Overstreet grading guide: bindery tears are A-OK on 10.0

- yeahok.gif Bob

I'm not surprised with the confusion at Gemstone.

After the latest debacle with their less than helpful Grading Guide,

no wonder O'st was banished to Mississippi

to open up Gemstone's "new office"

I was wondering how long it would take before this book hit the market as a 9.8

I'd have to confirm with the previous owner, but I can almost guarantee that this book was a 9.6 previously.

How do I know? Because Matt bought the 9.6 from my booth in Toronto.

Shamolee! Some bimbo insufficiently_thoughtful_person bid over $1600 for it! What an empty coconut headed fool. makepoint.gif Dang that Matt made out like a bandit. yay.gif Run the math. He paid around $350 for it, pressed it for a few cents, paid new grading fees with shipping back and forth ($18), then some ebay fees ($25??). Subtract that from $1600 and shoowee! Think I'm gonna go buy one of them pressin' machines and do likewise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Daredevil-131-CGC-9-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Hy guys, I was googling for bindery tears and found this topic. I am from europe and here most comics are essentially paperbacks but recently I started collecting disney comics by IDW (disney comics and stories and such).

I got 15 of them so far and they are all perfect brand new in every way(no dents or anything) except every one of them has tiny couple of milimeters tear at the top and/or bottom of the spine corners.

Also most of them have couple of tiny white spots or lines along the spine,some have more, some less, some none at all.

My question is is this normal for american comics format (factory errors) or something due to storage and shipping to the other side of the world?

They are all sold as brand new, unread(which they are) and near mint and are all manufactured in last two years.

I gues this isnt something a regular person would even notice, just comic book freaks like me.

Edited by iggyk23

My understanding was that very small bindery tears were allowed in 9.8, but that would be the top grade that the book could get. Of course, I can't remember where I read that (I would assume somewhere on these very boards) and it's entirely possible that I was hallucinating.

My understanding was that very small bindery tears were allowed in 9.8, but that would be the top grade that the book could get. Of course, I can't remember where I read that (I would assume somewhere on these very boards) and it's entirely possible that I was hallucinating.

I posted it in this thread 11 years ago. :baiting:

To my knowledge they always were but I also know a few things have changed under the latest leadership so I'm not so sure all the same rules for 9.8 still apply.

To my knowledge they always were but I also know a few things have changed under the latest leadership so I'm not so sure all the same rules for 9.8 still apply.

So, I was right, and I didn't even have to do any research! :whee:

what a noob question by the OP. always fun to see a thread w/ JC

Do you have any examples of what may have changed in terms of grading with the latest CGC team in place? Especially now that Matt Nelson is apparently the Head Grader and his reputation was based primarily on his pressing services. hm

Hy guys, I was googling for bindery tears and found this topic. I am from europe and here most comics are essentially paperbacks but recently I started collecting disney comics by IDW (disney comics and stories and such).

I got 15 of them so far and they are all perfect brand new in every way(no dents or anything) except every one of them has tiny couple of milimeters tear at the top and/or bottom of the spine corners.

Also most of them have couple of tiny white spots or lines along the spine,some have more, some less, some none at all.

My question is is this normal for american comics format (factory errors) or something due to storage and shipping to the other side of the world?

They are all sold as brand new, unread(which they are) and near mint and are all manufactured in last two years.

I gues this isnt something a regular person would even notice, just comic book freaks like me.

You should post clear pics of the books to increase the chance that someone with experience or knowledge about that defect/wear will reply to you.

Good bump. : )

I think that's the exact kind of defect these guys are discussing in this thread.

I'm no expert, and weak at moderns because I have little experience with them.

But those tiny tears seem a common part of some production processes, or with some papers, or etc. (the etc. is all the stuff I have no idea about). The fact that they are common (a lot of the copies have it) or universal (all copies have it) can have a big difference than if most copies of the same issue DON'T have the defect. I.e. maybe a 9.8 is possible even with the tears if it's universal (all the copies made).

And, btw, Welcome !

Yes, you can still have bindery tears and get a 9.8. one example is Saga #1. It's a thick book with lots of pages.I believe every saga #1 has a bindery tear and is a manufacturing issue. Don't think any will be graded higher than 9.8 because of it.

Thank you very much. I think it is universal as I am yet to get a copy without those. Maybe someone else that collects modern IDW comics has different experiences.

I was just curious does this happen in factory or in shipping because if they are printed somewhere in asia then sent to US and from there to some shops in UK from which I order on the other side of europe...you get the picture, how mint can they remain.

For books with bindery tears (~1mm), is there a concern when pressing? Could pressing increase the tear?

I have 4 raw issues of asm 300 that I think could possibly be 9.8 after a press (have a few very light non color breaking spine creases). They also have a ~1mm bindery tear.

I guess I’m just curious which defects could actually become worse after pressing.

Edited by eddly

23 minutes ago, eddly said:

For books with bindery tears (~1mm), is there a concern when pressing? Could pressing increase the tear?

I have 4 raw issues of asm 300 that I think could possibly be 9.8 after a press (have a few very light non color breaking spine creases). They also have a ~1mm bindery tear.

I guess I’m just curious which defects could actually become worse after pressing.

Pressing CAN bring out things that you may not have seen before. Meaning, those non-color breaks may end up being color breaking after pressing. I would think the bindery tear could get bigger as well.