• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Peel and Stick! Show zome Zip!

27 posts in this topic

A poor inker is burning the midnight oil on deadline. He's jittery from caffeine and there's a baby crying somewhere. Or maybe that's just his inner child slowly fading away as he scratches out yet another panel of cross-hatching. There are presses ready to roll, delivery trucks sitting idle, and grocery spinners standing as vacant and empty as his soul. So what can he possibly do to get this ship into port on time? Get ready to cut and paste the old fashioned way, 'cause it's time for...

Zip-a-Tone!

Yes, our old yellowing, curling friend and every graphic artist's last refuge... It comes in many flavors and patterns. So let's see your Zip-a-Tone pages and panels!

IMG_8149.jpg

Great topic – love zipatone. I was entranced by zipatone when I started reading comics. I wanted to be a comic artist (as most of us probably) and always studied the art carefully. I had no idea about zipatone and thought that the artists were actually doing the shading by hand. It was both fascinating and demoralizing as I could obviously never duplicate the technique myself. Layton used it a lot in his early part of the Iron Man run with Romita Jr.

Great topic – love zipatone. I was entranced by zipatone when I started reading comics. I wanted to be a comic artist (as most of us probably) and always studied the art carefully. I had no idea about zipatone and thought that the artists were actually doing the shading by hand. It was both fascinating and demoralizing as I could obviously never duplicate the technique myself. Layton used it a lot in his early part of the Iron Man run with Romita Jr.

Plus one!

I think Eduardo Barreto uses it to great effect for the grip on a pistol's handle on this Batman page

John Severin use adds to the comedic effect on this Punisher satire

Four pages by Eduardo Barreto from Indiana Jones & the Sargasso Pirates. They work much better in black and white than in color (as they were published):

indy_pirates_2_p12.jpg

#2, page 2.

indy_pirates_3_p2.jpg

#3, page 2.

indy_pirates_4_p6.jpg

#4, page 6.

indy_pirates_4_p14.jpg

#4, page 14.

Click on the pictures to see them in my CAF gallery.

A more recent exemple is how Randy Reynaldo imitates "real" Zip-a-tone and Crafttint with Photoshop in his Rob Hanes Adventures comic. Unfortunately this means there isn't a trace of it on his OA-pages... :(