• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AF15 CGC 9.2 Sells for all time high price @ $460K

147 posts in this topic

Shouldn't AF15 be worth more?

lolll yes maybe in a year from now it will!!

Maybe the spiderman / star wars crossover treasury with the aunt may slapping darth vader panel! :kidaround:

lollll I still prefer TEC 27 over AF15 but was to late in the game to buy myself a TEC 27. Batman will always be my favorite superhero.

If AF15 was the same age as Tec27 or Action 1, it might be the most valuable book there is.

If it was the first superhero.

Was really surprised it did not go for more. The eye appeal is much better than what the grade implies.

Heritage just sold a 9.4 at auction for $450K a few months ago.

You really think a 9.2 should sell for more?

Shouldn't AF15 be worth more?

lolll yes maybe in a year from now it will!!

Maybe the spiderman / star wars crossover treasury with the aunt may slapping darth vader panel! :kidaround:

lollll I still prefer TEC 27 over AF15 but was to late in the game to buy myself a TEC 27. Batman will always be my favorite superhero.

If AF15 was the same age as Tec27 or Action 1, it might be the most valuable book there is.

If it was the first superhero.

I think we should weigh rarity into this equation.

Was really surprised it did not go for more. The eye appeal is much better than what the grade implies.

With all those spine ticks, and whatever is going on above the G, I didn't see it that way at all, but that's why we as a species learned to converse in the first place.

Jim

I said that I do not think the ASM 667 variant is worth $10,000.

I do not think that AF15 deserves the price it commands across all grades. The money being thrown around is eyebrow raising.

Heritage just sold a 9.4 at auction for $450K a few months ago.

You really think a 9.2 should sell for more?

Nothing surprises me anymore. I think this 9.2 was worthy of a 9.4 price. I think originality

deserves to be recognized. I'd rather have an original 9.2 than a manipulated 9.4 .

Yes, definite eye appeal there if you are talking about the strong and deep colors on the book. (thumbs u

But is nobody else seeing the multiple small color breaking spine ticks which is running throughout a large part of the spine? (shrug)

Interesting to note that this book was graded back in the early part of 2005 which is probably before the general collecting public was even aware of pressing . With the seeming shift in grading over the years, it makes me wonder if this particular copy with its many spine ticks would still grade out the same today? Especially since the high-end grading focus seems to be so much more about creases and spine stresses nowadays and straight visual eye appeal seems to be less important as compared to before. hm

Yes, definite eye appeal there if you are talking about the strong and deep colors on the book. (thumbs u

But is nobody else seeing the multiple small color breaking spine ticks which is running throughout a large part of the spine? (shrug)

Lou...see three posts up...I totally agree with you. :thumbsup:

Jim

Lou...see three posts up...I totally agree with you. :thumbsup:

Jim

My bad.....sometimes I post my response as I am going along without reading the rest of the entire thread first. Good to know that somebody is seeing the same thing that I am, as it seem that most boardies were saying that the book appears to actually be undergraded as a 9.2 copy. (thumbs u

Thought my eyes might have been going on me. lol

Okay, so would you rather have an original 9.2 with some spine ticks or a pancaked 9.4 with flattened spine ticks. I'm glad it got a '9.4 price', it deserved it. However, I am sad a nice book like this will now probably be worked on.

Okay, so would you rather have an original 9.2 with some spine ticks or a pancaked 9.4 with flattened spine ticks. I'm glad it got a '9.4 price', it deserved it. However, I am sad a nice book like this will now probably be worked on.

There's no chance this book hasn't been thoroughly worked on already.

But if it's got color breaking spine ticks on the book, I thought that pressing would not help to enhance the grade of the book as it would simply be left with flattened color breaking white spots or breaks on the book? ???

But if it's got color breaking spine ticks on the book, I thought that pressing would not help to enhance the grade of the book as it would simply be left with flattened color breaking white spots or breaks on the book? ???

...that looks like a high contrast scan. I'd bet, in hand, the book's spine issues are much less dramatic..... pretty book I'd imagine..... and while people talk about AF 15 as if it were common, 9.2 and above definitely doesn't have enough supply to meet demand. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Edited by jimjum12

I guess we'll soon see. I predict coming soon to auction as a 9.4 .

...that looks like a high contrast scan. I'd bet, in hand, the book's spine issues are much less dramatic..... pretty book I'd imagine.

If it's a high contrast scan, would this not account in part for the strong deep colors and make the cover image "pop"? (shrug)

Irrespective of the spine issues, are you implying that the book might not be quite as visually appealing in terms of its color saturation in real life, as compared to this apparent high contrast scan? ???

Nevertheless, it still looks like a pretty nice copy of the most important SA key there is. (thumbs u

Agreed.

...that looks like a high contrast scan. I'd bet, in hand, the book's spine issues are much less dramatic..... pretty book I'd imagine.

If it's a high contrast scan, would this not account in part for the strong deep colors and make the cover image "pop"? (shrug)

Irrespective of the spine issues, are you implying that the book might not be quite as visually appealing in terms of its color saturation in real life, as compared to this apparent high contrast scan? ???

Nevertheless, it still looks like a pretty nice copy of the most important SA key there is. (thumbs u

...yes.

GOD BLESS...

...this is just me, but I would never buy a 500K book without examining it in person.... scans just don't deliver enough information.... but if I could spend that kind of money, an AF 15 in this range would certainly be a book I would consider...

Edited by jimjum12

Agreed.

So, are both of you saying that the potential has most likely already been maximized on this book? It's hopefully quite possible that this particular copy may have been lucky enough to have missed the flattening machines as it was graded back in the beginning of 2005 which was probably before pressing became common knowledge by the collecting public. :wishluck:(shrug)

If so, do you believe this book would have a shot at being upgraded to a CGC 9.4 on a straight resub only, since many of the boardies here seem to be implying that it appears to be undergraded in its current 9.2 slab?

Especially since we would now also have to factor in the new grading team that is currently in place and any changes to grading which they may have put in place. hm

Edited by lou_fine