• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next HA Auction !
4 4

386 posts in this topic

The Tales to Astonish 46 page 9 Ant-Man story page is attributed to Don Heck. I checked Marvel Wiki and it says Don Heck pencils & inks.

Sure looks like Kirby to me. I'd have to pull the book out of a long box to be 1000% sure, but it really seems like Kirby.

with mebbe Heck inks? (although I think it's more like Kirby/Ayers)

Am I missing something?

edit: this is the second time in 2 auctions I've found stuff like this. I know Heritage is busy, but I'd think they should be experts when it comes to things like this.

Unless I'm wrong and it's all Heck aping Kirby, but I really doubt it

167431.jpg.583f079eaa5855b85bf9d85ad2678a36.jpg

Edited by Unca Ben

The Tales to Astonish 46 page 9 Ant-Man story page is attributed to Don Heck. I checked Marvel Wiki and it says Don Heck pencils & inks.

Sure looks like Kirby to me. I'd have to pull the book out of a long box to be 1000% sure, but it really seems like Kirby.

with mebbe Heck inks? (although I think it's more like Kirby/Ayers)

Am I missing something?

edit: this is the second time in 2 auctions I've found stuff like this. I know Heritage is busy, but I'd think they should be experts when it comes to things like this.

Unless I'm wrong and it's all Heck aping Kirby, but I really doubt it

Its all Heck

sddDONHECKDONTalesAstonish46splashAntman.jpg

We are looking at two different pages.

Can you see my attachment? It clearly doesn't look like Heck. :)

I'm going by what I see, not what it says.

edit

The page I'm referencing is labelled TTA 46 pg 9 in the auction title, but it (looking again) says TTA 40 in red ink on the scan of the actual page .

That would be a Kirby / Goldberg page. And the page looks like a story page from that issue, based on the cover art.

Edited by Unca Ben

Sadly, longtime collector Ethan Roberts died at the very early age of 70. Most of the new items in Heritage, including both Flash Gordons,, come from his collection. He always said he would die with his collection...and he did. He lived very frugally. He was a good man and a very passionate lover of comic and strip art.

The 1936 Flash is notable because it contains the most egregious drawing mistake that Alex Raymond ever drew. In the bottom left panel, Zarkov's right leg is completely detached from his body. Yes, the page was printed that way...no paste-ups, no art editor corrections. Raymond was just too lazy to correct it. I was offered it many times and passed. My eye kept going to that mistake. I am very curious to see if the aesthetic sensibility of the newer generations of collectors will be bothered by this. I imagine it will go to a european collector for a substantial price. Most of the great Flash pages are in europe.

RIP ETHAN.

DocDave

Is there any evidence that Raymond was "too lazy" to correct the error or was it a case that everyone missed it - artist, editor, proof reader etc and it was printed as submitted before anyone realized the mistake?

I don't think that the leg issue would bother me in the least - too many positives throughout that make up for it. Besides, after everyone finishes admiring it on the new winner's wall, the leg issue could open up a whole new line of discussion...

We are looking at two different pages.

Can you see my attachment? It clearly doesn't look like Heck. :)

I'm going by what I see, not what it says.

edit

The page I'm referencing is labelled TTA 46 pg 9 in the auction title, but it (looking again) says TTA 40 in red ink on the scan of the actual page .

That would be a Kirby / Goldberg page. And the page looks like a story page from that issue, based on the cover art.

You are correct. Title of the lot does NOT match the page shown.

The page shown (TTA 40) is Kirby pencils/Brodsky inks.

Edited by pemart1966

Sadly, longtime collector Ethan Roberts died at the very early age of 70. Most of the new items in Heritage, including both Flash Gordons,, come from his collection. He always said he would die with his collection...and he did. He lived very frugally. He was a good man and a very passionate lover of comic and strip art.

The 1936 Flash is notable because it contains the most egregious drawing mistake that Alex Raymond ever drew. In the bottom left panel, Zarkov's right leg is completely detached from his body. Yes, the page was printed that way...no paste-ups, no art editor corrections. Raymond was just too lazy to correct it. I was offered it many times and passed. My eye kept going to that mistake. I am very curious to see if the aesthetic sensibility of the newer generations of collectors will be bothered by this. I imagine it will go to a european collector for a substantial price. Most of the great Flash pages are in europe.

RIP ETHAN.

DocDave

Is there any evidence that Raymond was "too lazy" to correct the error or was it a case that everyone missed it - artist, editor, proof reader etc and it was printed as submitted before anyone realized the mistake?

I don't think that the leg issue would bother me in the least - too many positives throughout that make up for it. Besides, after everyone finishes admiring it on the new winner's wall, the leg issue could open up a whole new line of discussion...

The artist didn't miss it, when he was drawing the waist/belt area he clearly drags the area over to find the hip/leg. he just was too far along I would guess.

also keep in mind the deadline nature of the work. Turnaround on these had to be tight, given the level of skill/finish involved here.

Which isn't to say it wouldn't bug the bejeezus out of me if it was on my wall. If this was my second Raymond, then maybe I'd be more OK with it as a cool conversaion piece, but as I have none, it wouldn't be something I'd spring for. Not sure where my cave-in point would be as a "steal" and worth spending the funds, because I can think of a lot of other work that isn't jacked up, that I could by from other artists with the same scratch.

A head scratcher for sure.

There is such an overload of fantastic GA and SA art that I wonder (and hope!) that people's wallets will be thinned out and I can take advantage on something. But I have singled it down to one main piece to go after hard (and several others to at least attempt).

Hasn't happened yet with some of the loaded HA auctions that has been going down, and I have a feeling it won't this time(but I hope too!)

Nothing I have to have yet, but a few things I would really like to have.