• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
70 70

63,755 posts in this topic

This is to Mr. Ween... didn't want to keep quoting the other chain since it's too long.

Fine, want me to give cbsi credit? Thank you for misinforming the public and allowing some of us to make hundreds of dollars on a book that's not the 1st appearance you claimed it to be.

There... there's credit. Because after all, that's exactly what happened. To be honest, I feel a bit guilty making a nice chunk of money off misinformed people. I still have some copies left of TEC850 and feel weird about listing them.

But you are still gonna list em' right :baiting:

Just list them as a key Sirens book that predates Sirens 1 but it's not a first appearance and then you can make that cash and still sleep at night!

Edited by MrWeen

Harley Quinn 3 - The trio is playing grab *spoon* on the cover. Who cares?

----

I come from the Howard Stern school of thought on these sorts of things, so some grab arse is really important.

I would like to say thank you for a healthy, heated but friendly debate. I have no ill will towards you, I just fail to see the logic behind your stance. I'm trying to do so, and I see a bit of where you are coming from in the sense of without Tec 850 there would be no GCS (although that can also be debated to the end of time as any number of villains and story lines could have been used), but just because Tec 850 exists doesnt mean there would be no GCS. That's not even the debate though....we are debating their 1st appearance as an official team with name in continuity which does not happen until GCS # 1. Saying without Tec 850 there would be no GCS isn't proving anything about their 1st appearance though. Tec 850 was the last time they worked together before GCS but that doesn't mean it's their 1st appearance. Also it wasn't just Ivy and Harley in Tec 850 working together, Oracle and Holly Robinson along with Slam are part of the revenge plan. Those 3 other people are not referenced in GCS # 1 by Catwoman when suggesting they band together as a team.

Not grasping at straws here. Brave and the Bold 54 is the first Teen Titans. This despite the fact that the team is not named in the title of the book nor anywhere in the text. The team is also without one of their founding members, Wonder Girl, in Brave and the Bold 54. Look up the prices on that book for me one time.

Despite decades of misinformation, BB54 is not the first Teen Titans, but a tryout of a teen sidekick team-up. BB60 has the name, organization, the idea that the characters will actually ever see each other again, etc. that BB54 does not have.

BA 12 - The Sirens aren't on the cover and do not function as a team in the book. They fight with each other in the book. Outside of being the 1st Harley, it's not the first appearance of anything.

You realize that people were joking about this issue because of the ridiculous, pathetic attempts to connect unrelated books to current/recent ideas (ie. Swamp Thing 49/50).

Harley Quinn 3 - The trio is playing grab on the cover. Who cares? They are not named Gotham City Sirens in the book and do not team up. In fact they specifically state they are not a team. Also the story is about a meeting of numerous female characters, not just the trio of Sirens.

Yes, because characters can be together and even work together without being a team.

Catwoman 89 - First appearance of the trio as a team. Each member is introduced, nobody else. They specifically mention that they are a team and appear in more than one panel together as a team. None of the other books in contention can claim that.

It's a story told by Harley Quinn. But whether she wishes they were a team or not is irrelevant.

Tec 850 - Sirens not named. Sirens not on cover. Sirens do not appear together in same panel. Additional characters, like Oracle (not a Siren), are involved the scheme against Hush. This book gives a little back story to the Sirens current situation that is explored in Gotham City Sirens 1, that's it.

This isn't the Avengers or Justice League, the Sirens is not some official team name with membership applications and dues. Harley, Ivy, and Catwoman are informally known as the Sirens. Nobody in the entire Sirens run refers to the team as the Sirens, nor do the team members use that label for themselves.

Right, it's not a team, it's just a series title. There are no "Gotham City Sirens" as an entity. So the "first appearance" of GCS is GCS1.

Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy have a long history together. Catwoman's involvement was a temporary alliance that suited her at the time, just like basically everything else she does.

All this attention to a series that barely lasted 2 years and ended over 5 years ago, just because of a :censored: movie. :facepalm:

is it ok that I see the merits of both answers? and actually gave away my copy of TEC 850, and have sold two copies of GCS 1 in the past year before the announcement?

Do your best and decide for yourself. And be excellent to one another. And if possible, vote against Tyrese Gibson being in the Green Lantern movie. Call your congressman, write letters to Geoff Johns, tell Jim Lee at the next comic con, do whatever you gotta do. That is all

I would like to say thank you for a healthy, heated but friendly debate. I have no ill will towards you, I just fail to see the logic behind your stance. I'm trying to do so, and I see a bit of where you are coming from in the sense of without Tec 850 there would be no GCS (although that can also be debated to the end of time as any number of villains and story lines could have been used), but just because Tec 850 exists doesnt mean there would be no GCS. That's not even the debate though....we are debating their 1st appearance as an official team with name in continuity which does not happen until GCS # 1. Saying without Tec 850 there would be no GCS isn't proving anything about their 1st appearance though. Tec 850 was the last time they worked together before GCS but that doesn't mean it's their 1st appearance. Also it wasn't just Ivy and Harley in Tec 850 working together, Oracle and Holly Robinson along with Slam are part of the revenge plan. Those 3 other people are not referenced in GCS # 1 by Catwoman when suggesting they band together as a team.

All good

points my friend.

This isn't the Avengers or Justice League, the Sirens is not some official team name with membership applications and dues. Harley, Ivy, and Catwoman are informally known as the Sirens. Nobody in the entire Sirens run refers to the team as the Sirens, nor do the team members use that label for themselves.

Great analysis DS. (thumbs u

-d

So if the Siren's name doesn't matter then that makes their formation within the context of a story all that more important. Seems like a pretty good argument for Tec850 to me. (shrug)

Im surprised you usually pick the obscure book and champion it as a 1st app.

Have you turned over a new leaf?

Yes, because characters can be together and even work together without being a team.

Which is irrelevant to this discussion, since the scope of said discussion is to identify the first appearance of a team. You have no team in HQ 3, so you have no appearance of the Sirens.

It's a story told by Harley Quinn. But whether she wishes they were a team or not is irrelevant.

Except it's factual. Everything mentioned by Harley is true. The mention of Catwoman's family and the details regarding her parents and sister are revisited and play a role in the GCS run when her sister returns for a story arc. The part where Harley and Catwoman escape confinement and take Gordon hostage is true as well.

That book depicts sequential art introducing the three members of the Sirens with one of those members explicitly stating that they are a team. That is a first appearance.

Differing opinions are fine, the market is large enough to embrace them. That book has a legitimate claim to being the first appearance for the reasons I mentioned and as such there exists a possibility that a significant portion of the market will see it that way.

When a speculation site pushes the wrong book do you think they feel bad? Do they even do research to make sure they got it right before their followers spend money on the recommendations?

For years all I have heard about around here is how important story is concerning a first appearance. Well where are the CGC forum stalwarts when a book like tec850 shows up to defend such an argument? If story is sooooo important for a book to be considered a first then please explain to me why tec850 is NOT the GCS first appearance.

People here are confusing the appearance of the three chicks in a book or on a cover for the first appearance of them AS the Sirens. Again the money Catwoman stole from hush is essential to the formation of the team. Am I wrong? Please I am waiting for a valid argument against.

:makepoint: Dude you argue for preview catalog 1st appearances. Detective comics # 850 was a chump hump bro ! screw hush and the money ! There are too many variables to claim this the IT GCS BOOK ! It was pumped and picked up steam. Anyone that bought this book over 25 bucks got hosed, you included or did you get in early on the flip, Ween? Like I said earlier I like their site and find it fun. I think they should fully research recommendations a little better AKA have a discussion like this one before claiming the Top spec. That book was definitely championed over there. Nine ( 9) out of ten (10) Ebay listings say it's the "first appearance"... ITS NOT THE FIRST APPEARANCE ! THOSE EBAY SELLERS ARE DISHONEST !

Edited by paul747

Which is irrelevant to this discussion, since the scope of said discussion is to identify the first appearance of a team. You have no team in HQ 3, so you have no appearance of the Sirens.

Except it's factual. Everything mentioned by Harley is true. The mention of Catwoman's family and the details regarding her parents and sister are revisited and play a role in the GCS run when her sister returns for a story arc. The part where Harley and Catwoman escape confinement and take Gordon hostage is true as well.

That book depicts sequential art introducing the three members of the Sirens with one of those members explicitly stating that they are a team. That is a first appearance.

Differing opinions are fine, the market is large enough to embrace them. That book has a legitimate claim to being the first appearance for the reasons I mentioned and as such there exists a possibility that a significant portion of the market will see it that way.

Pretty much sums it up with being snarky either.

OK so it's not the first appearance but it is central to the formation of the team and all the team members are represented? Oh and then there's the market deciding thing. But wait Trey convinced the whole market to buy this book with a few posts in a group consisting of a few thousand and a podcast? If that's true I might be inclined to thing some here are a bit envious and not so concerned with facts.

Look man, I don't want to go back and forth with you but I really think you need to be careful when you make baseless accusations. If you at least can't see that tec850 is a Sirens key and deserves the value placed upon it I would be very surprised. No matter what you believe about CBSI's intentions they discovered a key book before anyone else did. That seems like sound research to me.

Detective Comics was a book found on ebay for $1-4 plus shipping before and immediately after Topher's post on December 14th. I know because I bought 9 copies on ebay immediately following his post. I also found stacks of TEC850 in the wild. So when you said earlier I have an "agenda", you were dead wrong. If I had an agenda wouldn't you think I'd be talking up TEC850? Come on now.

So, yes, Topher/Trey/cbsi were actually responsible for starting the craze on this that immediately turned it into a 30 dollar book a few days later. Don't believe me? Use[b] ebay sold listings[/b] and look at the sales starting on December 14th (and even before the 14th) immediately after Topher made the post. Look how all copies before and immediately after his announcement were cover price or less. Then look at the sales a few days later up through today.

This isn't my opinion.

Please look at the listings for before and after.... 'FIRST APPEARANCE OF THE GCS" If you cant agree that the pump was on then ....... whatever. Ween I am usually entertained by your passion for speculation but your defense on this one is WEAK !

As you stated above "they were actually responsible for starting the craze" "turned it into a 30 dollar book"

"I know because I bought 9 copies on ebay immediately following his post. I also found stacks of TEC850 in the wild. So when you said earlier I have an "agenda", you were dead wrong"

----REALLY? whats the profit on that flip?

Can I ask, Did you sell any with the listing 1st appearance of GSC?

Edited by paul747

OK so it's not the first appearance but it is central to the formation of the team and all the team members are represented? Oh and then there's the market deciding thing. But wait Trey convinced the whole market to buy this book with a few posts in a group consisting of a few thousand and a podcast? If that's true I might be inclined to thing some here are a bit envious and not so concerned with facts.

Look man, I don't want to go back and forth with you but I really think you need to be careful when you make baseless accusations. If you at least can't see that tec850 is a Sirens key and deserves the value placed upon it I would be very surprised. No matter what you believe about CBSI's intentions they discovered a key book before anyone else did. That seems like sound research to me.

Detective Comics was a book found on ebay for $1-4 plus shipping before and immediately after Topher's post on December 14th. I know because I bought 9 copies on ebay immediately following his post. I also found stacks of TEC850 in the wild. So when you said earlier I have an "agenda", you were dead wrong. If I had an agenda wouldn't you think I'd be talking up TEC850? Come on now.

So, yes, Topher/Trey/cbsi were actually responsible for starting the craze on this that immediately turned it into a 30 dollar book a few days later. Don't believe me? Use[b] ebay sold listings[/b] and look at the sales starting on December 14th (and even before the 14th) immediately after Topher made the post. Look how all copies before and immediately after his announcement were cover price or less. Then look at the sales a few days later up through today.

This isn't my opinion.

Please look at the listings for before and after.... 'FIRST APPEARANCE OF THE GCS" If you cant agree that the pump was on then ....... whatever. Ween I am usually entertained by your passion for speculation but your defense on this one is WEAK !

No one really argued against tec850 until today. It was mentioned here some time ago. No one hear seemed to dispute ( to my recollection ).

The pump and dump thing just comes off poorly without proof that that's their game and to really pump this up you would have to post a lot.

All I'm trying to say is read the book and then read GCS 1. It's a straight up next step in the story. It's basically the freakin' origin of the team! I'll let the first appearance thing get argued by others, I've made my point on it. I don't know if the market will change but I hope it continues to get the love, if not as a first then as a pretty darn important Sirens key. I'm going to have to buy one sometime thanks to the sneaky Harley appearance anyway!

Edited by MrWeen

The amount of mental power that has gone into this analysis might have been enough to develop a warp drive engine or cure cancer.

When you're trying to pump and dump, you have to fabricate a good story.

Edited by ygogolak