• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IRON MAN #55 CLUB
4 4

214 posts in this topic

I just got blown out of the water on this poorly wrapped 9.6:

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids%2Easp%3Fpg%3D3%26x%3D47%26y%3D14&id=1146603

It ended at $4k; last sale was $3.5k; 12-month GPA is $2.7k.

Any idea why HG IM55's suddenly exploding?

It is my understanding that GPA doesn't track Comic Link sales so the GPA averages will not go up because of this sale. Only one 9.6 book in GPA sold for over 3k in 2016. I do not think two high sales is necessarily a pattern.

Just because GPA's 12 month AVG is 2.7k doesn't make it true in the broader market. If for instance there were more sales through avenues that it doesn't track and any sales it may miss do to non-capture via eBay listings where CGC isn't listed in the heading then the AVG may be slightly more or less. GPA is a sample of data and is not exhaustive.

I don't see it "exploding" it very well be 3 or 4 people out there who currently are fighting over available copies.

I think if you stay the course you will be able to get one for $2700-$2900.

http://www.comiclink.com/Auctions/item.asp?back=%2FComicTrack%2FAuctions%2Fbids%2Easp%3Fpg%3D3%26x%3D47%26y%3D14&id=1146603

There was a plateau phase with this book because Thanos next appearance seemed so far away. But now that we are a year or so away, I think folks will be surging to pick up a copy. Once people see the prices rising they will join the herd in fear of being priced out.

When you realize IM 55 is cheaper than Moon Knight's 1st appearance than you know a correction has to happen. Get ready for some sparks before the first movie trailer when news starts to leak from the set.

There was a plateau phase with this book because Thanos next appearance seemed so far away. But now that we are a year or so away, I think folks will be surging to pick up a copy. Once people see the prices rising they will join the herd in fear of being priced out.

When you realize IM 55 is cheaper than Moon Knight's 1st appearance than you know a correction has to happen. Get ready for some sparks before the first movie trailer when news starts to leak from the set.

But if you wait until the actual movie comes out, then the prices will start dropping big time again, like all other movie related hype books have done repeatedly in the past. :gossip:

So, now is probably not the best time to be picking up a copy of the book right now if you want to acquire one for your long-term collection. hm

I've actually noticed that there has been a flurry of high sales of this book in most grades recently.

Maybe people trying to get their copies before the next Avengers movie ? (shrug)

-J.

That's exactly what it is. However, with these figures:

9.8 - 57

9.6 - 124

9.4 - 178

it really is a case of meh. Rare it ain't. As lou indicates, expect to see prices fall rapidly in the next 2-3 years.

Edited by World Devourer

Further to this, I purchased an IM #55 9.6 (with Cream pages no less) for $500 or so five years ago, and re-sold once the Mad Titan appeared for around $2,500. Simple cause and effect. I think that eventually that particular item will drop to around $1,200. Just a matter of time.

That said, I still don't understand the feeding frenzy around WBN #32 when the character has yet to appear on film or even TV (ie. Agents of Shield).

Fools and their money, I suppose. 2c

Edited by World Devourer

Further to this, I purchased an IM #55 9.6 (with Cream pages no less) for $500 or so three years ago, and re-sold once the Mad Titan appeared for around $2,500. Simple cause and effect. I think that eventually that particular item will drop to around $1,200. Just a matter of time.

That said, I still don't understand the feeding frenzy around WBN #32 when the character has yet to appear on film or even TV (ie. Agents of Shield).

Fools and their money, I suppose. 2c

Three years ago a 9.6 was already a $2-3K book so getting it for $500 is quite the great deal. Last time that was in that price range was before the movie announcement.

I expect this book to go higher and stay higher than most movie books for one reason....

......we expect Thanos to be in two movies in back to back years. And those 2 movies are expected to be blockbusters. Add that to his two cameo roles and this is not a bad comic to own.

I 100% agree with you on WBN #32. Love the Moon Knight character. But he is a 2nd rate Daredevil or 3rd rate Batman. At best I would expect him to be a guest on a Netlfix show and prices are way over the top. I would love to own a #32 but would never touch them at these prices. Would have to be a lucky pick in the wild.

Edited by Bronx

:shy::fear:

Revival Hoarder, I have always loved that lineup. :o You are the reason I had to change my collecting strategy on IM 55. hm There was no way I was going to be able to outdo that Wall of Excellence. One day I will post how I switched it up. :idea: