• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The official J Scott Campbell Appreciation/Discussion Thread
12 12

4,765 posts in this topic

No remark for me either.

Also, looks like the black panther sketch is still chugging along. $1500 sold price for a 9.6 a few days ago.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-PANTHER-1-CGC-9-6-NM-J-SCOTT-CAMPBELL-PARTIAL-SKETCH-VARIANT-2009-/361755858275?hash=item543a545563%3Ag%3AxiIAAOSw4shX8om3&_trkparms=pageci%253A90c71fe7-dce1-11e6-a684-74dbd1808fc4%257Cparentrq%253Aada8468e1590a2a21500552fffb9c0df%257Ciid%253A1

If anyone has any Campbell sketches on blanks. I'll be willing trade my 9.8 for a few hm . :baiting:

:gossip: $1,100

Also, that's the buyer who RMA mentioned a while back in this thread I believe. I think maybe RMA sold him that?

No remark for me either.

Also, looks like the black panther sketch is still chugging along. $1500 sold price for a 9.6 a few days ago.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/BLACK-PANTHER-1-CGC-9-6-NM-J-SCOTT-CAMPBELL-PARTIAL-SKETCH-VARIANT-2009-/361755858275?hash=item543a545563%3Ag%3AxiIAAOSw4shX8om3&_trkparms=pageci%253A90c71fe7-dce1-11e6-a684-74dbd1808fc4%257Cparentrq%253Aada8468e1590a2a21500552fffb9c0df%257Ciid%253A1

If anyone has any Campbell sketches on blanks. I'll be willing trade my 9.8 for a few hm . :baiting:

What up 'reezy. (:

That was actually a "best offer" accepted for $1100. (thumbs u

*Edit- Yes that was the copy RMA sold to that guy four months ago (for $1150).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

No remark for me either.

What up 'reezy. (:

That was actually a "best offer" accepted for $1100. (thumbs u

*Edit- Yes that was the copy RMA sold to that guy four months ago (for $1150).

-J.

:hi:

Thanks jay! I always have issues when looking up through Watch count. lol

Got an email from campbell website, Venom 3 variant can be ordered- signed on January 21st 9 am mountain time, only comes signed -- $175

I don't think that a lot of people liked it but heads up anyway in case no one has talked about it nor checked their email yet :)

anybody thought about asking Campbell through instagram or facebook, whichever he responds to most often, if he would consider offering a service to get the books SS'd with CGC?? like neal adams and perhaps other artists do... I mean a COA is okay and all but idk

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Got an email from campbell website, Venom 3 variant can be ordered- signed on January 21st 9 am mountain time, only comes signed -- $175

I don't think that a lot of people liked it but heads up anyway in case no one has talked about it nor checked their email yet :)

anybody thought about asking Campbell through instagram or facebook, whichever he responds to most often, if he would consider offering a service to get the books SS'd with CGC?? like neal adams and perhaps other artists do... I mean a COA is okay and all but idk

I doubt he'd go for it, simply because its so much easier for him to simply sign a bunch of books he has lying around; versus setting things up with a facilitator. Not sure he'd be able to make enough more money if he's weighing it against his time.

I doubt he'd go for it, simply because its so much easier for him to simply sign a bunch of books he has lying around; versus setting things up with a facilitator. Not sure he'd be able to make enough more money if he's weighing it against his time.

Good point, no incentive for him to do this.

I think it would be a good idea. He would charge a premium and make a little more money. It would depend on relationship with facilitator yes, but I know personally, I would buy signed items from his site if he would CGC them. I do not now. I would pay a little more too. So, he loses some business on signed items due to it.

Maybe DScott, Rich or someone could ask him about it.

Edited by kevhtx

I thought that they could just fill out a CGC form? So instead of a "person witness"...I (think that is what you mean by "facilitator") instead of going through the process of printing out a COA etc. that had to be a hassle when he first started that...and he has to "print" a new one for every different book, I always thought that the reason that he didn't do CGC was because he "didn't want to ahem sell out and make it expensive" or that is what I heard somewhere, probably heresay but just a thought, I wouldn't have the guts to ask him in person at a con lol so I don't blame anyone else not wanting to ask ....

On second thought CGC'ing may be a pain because how would he garauntee grades, or get the exclusives back from CGC soon enough before everyone's forgotten the specific comic and then they don't sell, losing him money

Maybe this is why he would need a facilitator?

I guess he could wait until they're ordered and then send with the form to CGC, but it would be a long time getting them back and may have some order cancellations etc. idk

js wish there was some way, instead of signing and COA...

Ah, I didn't realize that. I didn't know they could send them in themselves. That would be even easier. He could even ask us to fill out the form on his website.

That is what Neal Adams does, just fills out a form. You can order a signed comic and then add an option for $20 that he'll fill out a form and send it to CGC to give you a yellow label, but you have to pay CGC on your account for them to grade etc.

I guess all I'm saying is it can be done...

Also in the signature room it was posted that Todd Mcfarlane's (son?) relative sells on ebay Todd's sigs and sketch's that appear to be raw and CGC just posted it graded.....yellow label.....and rumor has it that Todd just sent from him straight to CGC and filled a form out :)

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Ah, I didn't realize that. I didn't know they could send them in themselves. That would be even easier. He could even ask us to fill out the form on his website.

I think its possible, but what grade are you paying for? Does he know how to grade, do his people? Does he have to pay someone to screen? What if you don't get the grade you pay for? What if its two grades lower? What if its higher? How careful does he and his staff have to be if you're sending them off for grading? How much more time does it take being that careful in terms of handling the comics AND packing the comics? How much more paperwork is there to fill out? IS it really worth it?

Would you want to deal with it all if you were an artist or even a rep? I'd rather sell unsigned copies and have fans come talk to me at shows or have dscott put a stack in front of me for $10-$20 per sig (and I don't have to do anymore paperwork).

On second thought CGC'ing may be a pain because how would he garauntee grades, or get the exclusives back from CGC soon enough before everyone's forgotten the specific comic and then they don't sell, losing him money

Maybe this is why he would need a facilitator?

I guess he could wait until they're ordered and then send with the form to CGC, but it would be a long time getting them back and may have some order cancellations etc. idk

js wish there was some way, instead of signing and COA...

Good points. The grading results alone would be a problem. What happens when a book, somewhere in the submission process, gets banged up and gets a 7.5 ? The first finger pointing would be to his store. As stated, the site seems to do a pretty good job of delivering 9.8 candidates. Why mess with it ?

I think its possible, but what grade are you paying for? Does he know how to grade, do his people? Does he have to pay someone to screen? What if you don't get the grade you pay for? What if its two grades lower? What if its higher? How careful does he and his staff have to be if you're sending them off for grading? How much more time does it take being that careful in terms of handling the comics AND packing the comics? How much more paperwork is there to fill out? IS it really worth it?

Would you want to deal with it all if you were an artist or even a rep? I'd rather sell unsigned copies and have fans come talk to me at shows or have dscott put a stack in front of me for $10-$20 per sig (and I don't have to do anymore paperwork).

But he doesn't have to guarantee a grade. If I order from him and I get a grade, then I won't order again. It would all come down to the premium. In my case, I don't pay him more for his signature because its not graded. IF he did it, then I would pay his signature fee and also a premium to have it graded.

But you aren't buying a grade. You are buying his signature and getting the book graded. Hopefully you get something good. If not, market will take care of itself and people won't get that option and word will get around. Same problem exists for non-graded books he does now. We could get mess books that wouldn't grade well just as easy.

I can understand a facilitator guaranteeing a grade. We are paying them to look for a great book for us, get it signed and submit. Thats what we are paying for. For him, we would be paying for his autograph and for him to submit that book to CGC.

Edited by kevhtx

But he doesn't have to guarantee a grade. If I order from him and I get a grade, then I won't order again. It would all come down to the premium. In my case, I don't pay him more for his signature because its not graded. IF he did it, then I would pay his signature fee and also a premium to have it graded.

If he's not guaranteeing grades, then how much premium are people going to be willing to pay? and will that be enough to cover the extra trouble of subbing to CGC? It would almost be better if he just allowed you to buy a signature voucher you can redeem at a later date when you want to get it CGC SS. The voucher code would immediately be emailed to you, and you can use the code at shows or give the voucher to your facilitator for the signature.

But you aren't buying a grade. You are buying his signature and getting the book graded. Hopefully you get something good. If not, market will take care of itself and people won't get that option and word will get around. Same problem exists for non-graded books he does now. We could get mess books that wouldn't grade well just as easy.

I can understand a facilitator guaranteeing a grade. We are paying them to look for a great book for us, get it signed and submit. Thats what we are paying for. For him, we would be paying for his autograph and for him to submit that book to CGC.

Acknowledging your points that you are not specifically paying for a grade, I still think most would contact his site directly with complaints. With your logic, no one should ever complain to CGC about their grades either. After all, you are only paying for their opinion.

He could at least give an option for CGC like some artists do...for those that can't make it to cons...because then your not paying for a "grade", your taking just as much a chance as anyone else that orders a nonsigned and then taking it to a con, but some of you have thought this through and have great points :)

If he wanted to make it easier does "he" even have a good option to provide it? perhaps not...

some would say they were "cherry picked" for the sigs instead of unsigned, none of us here, I don't think, are going to come up with a "perfect" solution.....

But it'd be nice to hear "his" thoughts is all....and surely the thought has crossed his mind, so I don't know, I'm not complaining, might as well buy the unsigned and go to a con....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Good point, no incentive for him to do this.

JTC does it. I'm sure it's not out of the kindness of his heart.