• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MegaCon, May 25-28, 2017, Orlando Florida

95 posts in this topic

I did this con for 10+ years until they moved it from feb/march to may. I really wish it would move back. I miss the opp to have a show close to home in the early (cooler) spring

I did this con for 10+ years until they moved it from feb/march to may. I really wish it would move back. I miss the opp to have a show close to home in the early (cooler) spring

Maybe they could swap this with Dallas next year and we'd both see movement towards dates we like better. :wishluck:

Maybe they could swap this with Dallas next year and we'd both see movement towards dates we like better. :wishluck:

If only it were as simple as just wanting for it to be so, and it was so. You have to work with what is available to you.

If only it were as simple as just wanting for it to be so, and it was so. You have to work with what is available to you.

Of course, but that doesn't mean we can't hope.

so no feb, march or even early April dates available ? Even though they were always available prior? A call to the Orange County convention center would indicate otherwise?

Feb-Apr are peak season for the OCCC (run by the Orlando city government) since (a) it's peak time for people vacationing in Orlando, Florida (b) it's in high demand with event planners that want access to the second largest convention center in the US at that time.

With a slew of public events (you can see the list on their website) and a ton of private ones (you don't - like medical, dental, accounting, government) most days during those weeks have something going on.

So when MC was a smaller show, with fewer days, it would have been easier to fit it in around the various private and public events. As soon as it became a four day event (five+ with setup), the show was pushed back.

For the size of space we need (2 concourses), for the duration we need it for, Memorial Day weekend was the best option available.

Nothing to do with Orlando being the # 1 destination for Memorial Weekend travelers several years running, per AAA?

Orlando, # 1 Memorial Day destination

Listen, no one faults you guys for moving the show to that weekend...it makes perfect financial sense, especially as the show resembles less of a comic convention and more of a theme park attraction every year, but let's just call a spade a spade.