• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Neglect

71 posts in this topic

Always surprising how little Amazing Adventures #1 goes for these days.

It's a book that features the 1st Inhumans series by Kirby and the 1st Black Widow series. Early Bronze Age Marvel. The Black Widow had always been somewhat of a Villain/Hero type with this series being her 1st full fledged hero stint. All other Inhumans appearances have shot up in value, Black Widow is big time in the Marvel cinematic universe, yet you can still pick up VF/NMish raw copies of this book for 25-50 dollars if you wait around on ebay.

It's a book that features the 1st Inhumans series by Kirby and the 1st Black Widow series. Early Bronze Age Marvel. The Black Widow had always been somewhat of a Villain/Hero type with this series being her 1st full fledged hero stint. All other Inhumans appearances have shot up in value, Black Widow is big time in the Marvel cinematic universe, yet you can still pick up VF/NMish raw copies of this book for 25-50 dollars if you wait around on ebay.

I agree. I am convinced it is the split image cover that keeps this book and AT #1 at shockingly low prices. We are in the age of the cover image, and the split covers are big time fail.

I agree. I am convinced it is the split image cover that keeps this book and AT #1 at shockingly low prices. We are in the age of the cover image, and the split covers are big time fail.

I can understand with Astonishing Tales #1 (although I did prefer it during my childhood) as it never really had the hot characters. Amazing Adventures seems to be the one book that didn't rise with the tide of the Marvel Movie Explosion.

As a kid I loved the split covers, but yeah, when you think about it, even Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish & Strange Tales have very few keys with the split covers.

Omega The Unknown

Starlin's Warlock run

Price/value not withstanding there have been some great comics mentioned here.

Hard to pick just one comic. I maybe like FF #166, but don't know if it works without the other issues around it. Omega is one of my faves, btw. I read the series pretty much once a year.

No Master Of Kung Fu here? Again, difficult to nail down a single issue.

Weren't the first issues of Firestorm and Machine Man also super good?

Fast Willie Jackson.

Not cheap, but cheap for what they are. All fairly tough, especially the last one. The 1970's African-American answer to Archie comics. Same guy who did those Golden Legacy comics, I think. Apochrypha has it that they had an Archie artist doing it on the side and there was pressure applied to shut it down, or somesuch.

I was NEVER a fan of the split cover; the only thing worse was the onset of the barcode . . . :pullhair:

One of my favorite cover tricks though, was when the cover figure grabbed or broke the logo - what was it X-Men 56 that first did that? (the Adams cover) Later, it led to be a staple of the BA. :cloud9:

I was NEVER a fan of the split cover; the only thing worse was the onset of the barcode . . . :pullhair:

One of my favorite cover tricks though, was when the cover figure grabbed or broke the logo - what was it X-Men 56 that first did that? (the Adams cover) Later, it led to be a staple of the BA. :cloud9:

Isn't there a Batman or Tec cover with Blockbuster shattering the logo with a punch? Mid-silver either way. Great idea for a cross-era thread (thumbs u Post your broken logo covers!

Isn't there a Batman or Tec cover with Blockbuster shattering the logo with a punch? Mid-silver either way. Great idea for a cross-era thread (thumbs u Post your broken logo covers!

Run with it (thumbs u

Fast Willie Jackson.

Not cheap, but cheap for what they are. All fairly tough, especially the last one. The 1970's African-American answer to Archie comics. Same guy who did those Golden Legacy comics, I think. Apochrypha has it that they had an Archie artist doing it on the side and there was pressure applied to shut it down, or somesuch.

Yes, very tough. Had a very nice run a few years ago and only got triple Guide.

Fast Willie Jackson.

Any insight as to who Gus Lemoine was? The style is similar to Henry Scarpelli who was drawing/inking at DC during the period Gus Lemoine received art credits at Archie. Gus seemed to disappear following the Fast Willie title and a short time later Henry was at Archie.

An aside, one of the Fast Willie letter pages (which had to be fake) had a letter from "Geri Lemoine".

Fast Willie Jackson.

Any insight as to who Gus Lemoine was? The style is similar to Henry Scarpelli who was drawing/inking at DC during the period Gus Lemoine received art credits at Archie. Gus seemed to disappear following the Fast Willie title and a short time later Henry was at Archie.

An aside, one of the Fast Willie letter pages (which had to be fake) had a letter from "Geri Lemoine".

Sorry for the delay; I've been searching but I cannot find the blog I once read...at least not yet....anyway, rumor is Gus Lemoine was a pseudonym for the Archie artist (some claim Henry Scarpelli) who was moonlighting, but Lemoine is also credited with someArchie books, so I don't know for sure.

Without a doubt, it would be the Adams & Smith run of Avengers from issue #93 through #100 from my point of view. :cloud9:

I still remember back in the day when Avengers 93 used to be one of the most valuable BA books in the marketplace. Not so much anymore, as it seems to have fallen right off the radar for some reason. Not so sure why since it is part of a classic Kree/Skull Wars story line and coupled with 52 pages and cover artwork by Neal Adams. (shrug)

Without a doubt, it would be the Adams & Smith run of Avengers from issue #93 through #100 from my point of view. :cloud9:

I still remember back in the day when Avengers 93 used to be one of the most valuable BA books in the marketplace. Not so much anymore, as it seems to have fallen right off the radar for some reason. Not so sure why since it is part of a classic Kree/Skull Wars story line and coupled with 52 pages and cover artwork by Neal Adams. (shrug)

+1

Many books to love

+1

Many books to love

I'm so DC that thinking of Adams on Avengers just seems outlandish to me. Like picturing DiMaggio in a Red Sox uni, that bizarre. I have to admit, though, I am intrigued. Maybe I should look for a reprint of this run.

+1

Many books to love

I'm so DC that thinking of Adams on Avengers just seems outlandish to me. Like picturing DiMaggio in a Red Sox uni, that bizarre. I have to admit, though, I am intrigued. Maybe I should look for a reprint of this run.

It's beautiful and an awesome story. One of the Aeams issues has a splash of Triton climbing out of the water onto a dock that is absolutely stunning.