• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edgar Church Hits coming up on HA
1 1

321 posts in this topic

If you are at all insinuating that these may not be the best examples of each and every issue of HIt from 1 through 24 then you really are not very knowledgeable on the subject. You can certainly argue whether any individual book is graded off by a step (9.0 or 9.2 for example), but there is no doubt that each of the Church Hits is the best copy available of that particular book regardless of numerical grade.

If you was speaking in generality, then I would tend to agree with you.

Since you are saying that each and every one of these issues without any exception at all, must be the best copy of that issue simply because they are the Church copy, then I would disagree with you.

From my point of view, it's quite conceivable that another yet to be graded pedigree copy such as a San Francisco or a Pennsylvania or even a raw non-pedigree copy might just exist in better condition than the Church copy for a few of these Hit issues. hm

This Church run of Hit's are definitely a beautiful set of books, but I guess it's just a case of never say never if you are talking about each and every single issue in this Church run. (shrug)

........but I'll say this, after comparing scans of the Church books I'm reconsidering having several of my old CGC books regraded into clearer holders. Folks can read into that whatever they wish.

My focus, respective of the Church HITs, has been on two things, grade assigned and how that impacts prior graded books. I won't go into specifics here.

As all of us already know here, CGC is sometimes guilty of swinging between loose grading and tight grading time periods when it comes to grading their books. Whether intentional or unintentional is another question though. Unfortunately, this means that there is probably just a slight bit of luck in terms of timing when it comes to submitting your books into them for grading. :wishluck:

The other point is in terms of their unpublished grading standards. I personally believe that their grading standards have shifted over a period of time such that a particular defect(s) might have more or less importance in the determination of the final grade over time. Especially when you have different graders involved, and in particular, when there are changes to a head grader. After all, grading is still subjective and really a matter of opinion and not a matter of science. hm

As for having your books regraded hoping for a higher grade based upon what you are seeing in the Hit's here. You never know, the new grading team that's in place might conceivably regrade them lower as they might now be putting a much heavier hammer to near invisible defects which you cannot see from just a scan. :gossip:

:idea:

Maybe it's time that all CGC graded comics have a Best Before or expiry date attached to them in order to ensure more consistency for the books. Additional resub revenues for CGC. Of course, this would also cut down on the number of original submissions and certainly be a big help to the turnaround times. :devil:lol

Edited by lou_fine

My focus, respective of the Church HITs, has been on two things, grade assigned and how that impacts prior graded books in my showcase collection.

FTFY

Nice fix from someone living in a bubble rather than on it. gw.gif

So basically you want the Church Hits but you can't afford them.

If you're reading that into my comments you should cut down on your weekend alcohol intake. hm

Oh the irony...

That's a better effort, but the jury's still out on goldust40.

Cheers! oregonian_winesmiley.gif

I bet the old 9.2 notation is removed after this sells... I was surprised it took us this long to figure it out! You all really think a new to market early tec in 9.6 just showed up?!

The fact that the 9.2 was bumped to 9.6 was brought up by me shortly after it did.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9102311

So no, we didn't take long at all to figure it out. :makepoint:

The :o was for if it sold for 50K as a 9.2 (yeah, I know when and where it sold too), what price will it bring as a "9.6". It is currently in 3rd spot of HA auction result estimates only behind the Bat1 3.5 and AF15 8.5.

That is not a good 9.6 :makepoint: 9.2 ya but not 9.6 look at it.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-32-dc-1939-cgc-nm-96-off-white-pages/p/7158-130003.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

[clor:#FF0000]Looks better as 9.2 Look at top staple now at 9.6 ?

[/color]http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=549588

I just compared the scans. Sadly, I must agree with woowoo on this point.

Well, all I can say is that if you think this upgrade is bad, it's really nothing at all when compared to the Cole Schave books, as detailed in the following thread which has now been closed for obvious reasons:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6972017#Post6972017

No real need to read all 300+ pages of the thread as you should get the general idea after the first 10 or 20 pages of it. Besides the right page fanning, it also goes into Costanza or the facejobbing of books plus a discussion on indented staples as a result of improper pressing. hm(tsk)

It's rather funny how the page fanning was blamed on the poor print quality of the early Marvel books. Especially when they managed to survive just find for the first 50 years of their existence, but somehow this defect managed to manifest itself in the few short months that the books just happen to go from a 9.2 grade up to a 9.6 grade. :screwy:

Also funny how some of the board members went back into their own personal collection to identify only a tiny fraction of their entire collection to have this page fanning issue. And yet this Cole Schave collection somehow managed to have this same defect throughout the vast majority of their books. lol

What was that about CGC supposedly downgrading for defects associated with improperly pressed books. (shrug)

My focus, respective of the Church HITs, has been on two things, grade assigned and how that impacts prior graded books in my showcase collection.

FTFY

If you're reading that into my comments you should cut down on your weekend alcohol intake. hm

Oh the irony...

This from the guy who used to post pictures of himself raising a pint at every single bar he went to. :roflmao:

I saw the Hit run at jbcomicbox's place, back when it was still unslabbed. The books are spectacular in every way: colors, pages, ink reflectivity and structure. There is a small chance on a book or two that there will be a structurally nicer copy but, for my money, the chances of finding a more desirable one are about as good as the Astros winning the Superbowl.

I saw the Hit run at jbcomicbox's place, back when it was still unslabbed. The books are spectacular in every way: colors, pages, ink reflectivity and structure. There is a small chance on a book or two that there will be a structurally nicer copy but, for my money, the chances of finding a more desirable one are about as good as the Astros winning the Superbowl.

And there it is. As desirable a set of books as one is likely to see this year.

FTFY

Oh the irony...

This from the guy who used to post pictures of himself raising a pint at every single bar he went to. :roflmao:

True enough, I raise full pints. So, you prefer being associated with half pints?

No wonder you're so quick to misjudge the motivations of others, ...your glass is always half empty! lol

FTFY

Oh the irony...

True enough, I raise full pints. So, you prefer being associated with half pints?

No wonder you're so quick to misjudge the motivations of others, ...your glass is always half empty! lol

Magnificent comeback. So Swiftian in its rapier-like subtlety. :roflmao:

I'm sure that with a few possible exceptions, they're the best. My critique of the HA scans wasn't to demean the books, although some of the grades may deserve of a quibble or two. I'm glad that they're entering the market. The consignor should do quite well.

Wishing every bidder luck. (thumbs u

Wait, the Astros play hockey ?

:insane:

But they're not truly nice until they have a self-determined eponymous sticker placed on them.

FTFY

Oh the irony...

Love the Red Dwarf reference. Timeslides,one of me fave episodes from series three :cloud9:

But they're not truly nice until they have a self-determined eponymous sticker placed on them.

lol Thanks, I really needed a good laugh this morning.

FTFY

Oh the irony...

Single's bar?

FTFY

Oh the irony...

Love the Red Dwarf reference. Timeslides,one of me fave episodes from series three :cloud9:

Mine as well. At 6 AM CST (Texas) my rapier repartee isn't swift, much less Swiftian. Alas, Goldust40's closing shot lacked the equivalent impact of Lister's Cat taking a dump in the final scene of SDRAWKCAB.

Nice effort though. gw.gif

Edited by DavidMerryweather

FTFY

Oh the irony...

Mine as well. At 6 AM CST (Texas) my rapier repartee isn't swift, much less Swiftian. Alas, Goldust40's closing shot lacked the equivalent impact of Lester's Cat taking a dump in the final scene.

Nice effort though. gw.gif

I assume you mean Lister, and the scene you're referring to is from BACKWARDS, first episode, series three. :baiting: