• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst modern covers ever
3 3

561 posts in this topic

I think Jim lee has gotten better over time, and was already very good

What I think is fascinating about Frank Miller's art is he is one of a handful of comic artists who has transcended what we've come to expect of comic book artwork. Clearly, Frank Miller can draw in a more commercial style (look at his work on Daredevil for example) and his art has transformed tremendously over the years. Most artists find a style that is commercial and sells comics and coast on that the remainder of their career. Miller is a true artist IMHO, pushing the boundaries and challenging his audience. It might not be pleasing to some, but if you've followed the man's career, his choices are bold and challenging.

He is up there with:

Bill Sienkiewicz

Mike Mignola

I'm sure there are others. These artists have admirers and detractors. Can anyone think of any others?

Sad to say, Neal Adams. There's often a similar comparison and criticism of his peak 70s work with his modern era art style. That said, he can still do some really brilliant commissions.

Has Neal Adams' art changed much over the years? I know his recent TFA cover is reminiscent of his work from the 70s:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2016/11/modern-marvel-star-wars-force-awakens-1.html

starwarstheforceawakens1i_zpspdjnahps.jpg

Any examples of current work showing his range?

I cant think of any artist's work that has improved after their success. You can throw Art Adams, Mike Golden in there as well..

Actually Adam Hughes is probably the only one I can think of... But he mainly just does covers now so cant really compare

Jae Lee?

Well, I dont think that he is as influential as some of the artists mentioned (Art, Adams, Golden, Miller). Def hasnt been around as long as them

Guess it depends on what you mean by success.

He isn't a legend.

Im surprised that no one has shared some Liefeld & Mcfarlane covers yet.. How can they not be in this thread??

Even Liefeld should have to struggle to make a 'worst ever' thread. But... I guess I'll post my favorite work of his that I always keep handy... even if it isn't a cover... never forget.

enchantress.jpg

What I think is fascinating about Frank Miller's art is he is one of a handful of comic artists who has transcended what we've come to expect of comic book artwork. Clearly, Frank Miller can draw in a more commercial style (look at his work on Daredevil for example) and his art has transformed tremendously over the years. Most artists find a style that is commercial and sells comics and coast on that the remainder of their career. Miller is a true artist IMHO, pushing the boundaries and challenging his audience. It might not be pleasing to some, but if you've followed the man's career, his choices are bold and challenging.

He is up there with:

Bill Sienkiewicz

Mike Mignola

I'm sure there are others. These artists have admirers and detractors. Can anyone think of any others?

Sad to say, Neal Adams. There's often a similar comparison and criticism of his peak 70s work with his modern era art style. That said, he can still do some really brilliant commissions.

Has Neal Adams' art changed much over the years? I know his recent TFA cover is reminiscent of his work from the 70s:

http://swcomiccollector.blogspot.com/2016/11/modern-marvel-star-wars-force-awakens-1.html

I cant think of any artist's work that has improved after their success. You can throw Art Adams, Mike Golden in there as well..

Actually Adam Hughes is probably the only one I can think of... But he mainly just does covers now so cant really compare

Jae Lee?

Was just getting ready to write the same name down. (thumbs u

He is up there with:

Bill Sienkiewicz

Mike Mignola

Jae Lee?

Well, I dont think that he is as influential as some of the artists mentioned (Art, Adams, Golden, Miller). Def hasnt been around as long as them

Jae Lee's work

He had some influence over how people draw the Inhumans now imo. His run with Jenkins was amazing. His Wolverine, Widowmaker, and especially the Sentry are pretty iconic too. 2c

He is up there with:

Bill Sienkiewicz

Mike Mignola

Jae Lee?

Jae Lee's work

He had some influence over how people draw the Inhumans now imo. His run with Jenkins was amazing. His Wolverine, Widowmaker, and especially the Sentry are pretty iconic too. 2c

He's done some really strong, relatively unnoticed work too - some of it in his Dark Tower stuff (which no one really reads) and some of it in his Before Watchmen work (which, as a fan of his, I'd rather he hadn't done).

Still... I was sad to have missed out on this page, still would like to find it one day.

ozymandias_04_15_pencils.jpg

He is up there with:

Bill Sienkiewicz

Mike Mignola

Fair enough, I certainly respect that point of view.

Wow ! That is a great piece. (worship)

I think so too, but I have to imagine pencils like that annoy an inker to some extent.

Haha ! He is almost always heavy on the contrast which is one of the things I love most about his art. Light, shadow, proportional anatomy are his things imo.

2 things.. First is that Miller is a major player in comic book history. Period.

Some would go as far as saying that he was the main inspiration behind Tim Burton's 1st batman movie. No one can undermine the man's talent and achievements as an artist and storyteller

and because of that...

Second, He can mess on a canvas and call it art.

Not to say that he does. but his credibility and influence allows him to express himself as he see fits

I certainly respect this point of view too---and thanks for attaching those earlier links to some of his SS work. While I certainly respect his accomplishments, influence and sheer talent, a lot of his work shown in this thread, just appears terrible to me. Just my own opinion of course...

Love Frank. Can't think of a better artist than him in his prime. As I look at his recent stuff, it seems that he is drawing all of the heroes as if they had aged a great deal compared to what we grew up with and maybe thats the point. (shrug)

I don't think it is an attempt to age the characters. I honestly think something has changed in his own perception.

For instance, take the Elektra piece I included and compare it to any of his renditions of Elektra that aren't relatively recent - the hands have ballooned, the shoulders have become very broad, the brow is pronounced... these aren't things that happen when a person, let alone a woman, ages.

Love Frank. Can't think of a better artist than him in his prime. As I look at his recent stuff, it seems that he is drawing all of the heroes as if they had aged a great deal compared to what we grew up with and maybe thats the point. (shrug)

I don't think it is an attempt to age the characters. I honestly think something has changed in his own perception.

For instance, take the Elektra piece I included and compare it to any of his renditions of Elektra that aren't relatively recent - the hands have ballooned, the shoulders have become very broad, the brow is pronounced... these aren't things that happen when a person, let alone a woman, ages.

Given his notoriety, I wonder if anyone has ever asked him WHY his artwork is so very different now. What influenced or influences him? It would be a fascinating interview.....

24 minutes ago, Aweandlorder said:

Was debating whether to post this on Books in the Wild thread or this one.

I think youd agree it belongs here

s-l1600 (2).jpg

5961298125845_2017-07-0819_52_40.png.9bc19ec742b560795a12d710ebdb2f76.png.6c5d08fbc607a0a8043a2d5f44310649.png