• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS - THE RANKINGS
18 18

2,250 posts in this topic

Bummer. I will say this about Paypal Credit. Their computer system just automates your credit limit. You can't call an agent and ask them for a credit increase, I've tried. Instead, all they tell you is 'go try and spend that much and see what happens!' It sucks, I know I hate it and I haven't tried to increase my paypal credit in years because of it, there's no way of knowing what I'd get approved for.

Not defending the guy at all, you are totally right, he should have is ducks in a row for purchases like this, but just posting a possibility. I'm sure you'll find a buyer soon enough tho.

Jerome

I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people are buying these things on credit, but damn. Come on.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people think they can buy on credit, relist and sell it to pay the debt off and keep some cash.

I mean, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that some people are buying these things on credit, but damn. Come on.

I wouldn't be surprised if some people think they can buy on credit, relist and sell it to pay the debt off and keep some cash.

Buying comics on margins...... hm

-J.

Yep that's how the stock market crashed in the 30s with the same mentality.

Paypal acts more and more like a bank, but works like hell to keep out of having being regulated like a bank.

Hello again everyone! :hi:

Just put the finishing touches on the list, with updated copy. Biggest mover this time around was ASM #700 Ditko.

Here it is...

:news: ***MOST VALUABLE MODERN VARIANTS 2017, Q1 EDITION*** :news:

#12- Captain Marvel #14, 1:30 variant (2013)- This book boasts the first cameo appearance of Kamala Khan before she would become the new Ms. Marvel and an overnight sensation. Featuring a majestic take of her idol, Captain Marvel, standing atop a jet, it is certainly an apt introduction to what would become Marvel's next superstar. This book has proven to have legs and therefore is still holding on at #12.

CaptainMarvel14-1in30.jpg

#11- X-23 #1, Dell'Otto (2010)- Another great and hot artist lodges his first cover here. Combined with the fact that X-23 may be Marvel's hottest female character right now, a confirmed movie appearance, and a breath-taking cover that may be one of her best depictions to date, and you have a book that has now fetched $1600+ in a 9.8, $1000 in a 9.6, and $800+ raw.

X-23cover.jpg

#10- Walking Dead #100, Lucille/Red Foil Editions (2012)- The introduction of the iconic Negan in these crazy- rare issues had some people paying as much as $1800 for a 9.8 since word first leaked that he would (finally) be making his appearance in the show. While prices for 9.8's have since settled into the $1500 range, the rarity of these and the continuing popularity of both the book, the show, and the character, should keep this on the list for the foreseeable future and beyond.

WalkingDead100RedFoil.jpg

#9- Black Panther #1, Partial Sketch, J. Scott Campbell (2009)- Like a (female) panther leaping from the forest, this new entrant claws its way all the way up to #8 in its debut on the list. Actually released 7 years ago, this book only recently got discovered by JSC fans and became an instantly hot item. The first 9.8 copy to hit the market went for a whopping $3700! While a subsequent 9.8 copy sold for $2400 the fact that copies continue to pop up only intermittently should keep this one in good stead, and especially for those who grabbed one before the price explosion.

hwjxir.jpg

#8- Amazing Spider-Man #700, Ditko (2013)- Guess who's back.. back again. Ditko's back. Tell a friend. In a remarkable reversal, this 1:200 book makes the biggest leap this time around, from not being on the list at all, to #8! A pair of 9.8's selling between $2500-$2800, strong 9.6 sales, and a raw copy going for over $900 is what's to thank. By the looks of things it seems these are drying up on ebay and into personal collections, causing a resurgence in realized prices.

AmazingSpider-Man700Birthday.jpg

#7- Spawn #185, Sketch (2008)- Has anyone seen a single copy of this book for sale since I first started this list? I haven't. Talk about ridiculously rare? Geesh! One of Image's original and longest running titles checks in here with its most valuable RI variant to date. Clocking in at $2750 the last time a 9.8 copy came up for sale publicly, the scant census numbers should keep rare variant chasers on their heels and this book in high value and esteem for the foreseeable future.

Spawn185SketchCover.jpg

#6- Siege #3, J. Scott Campbell (2010)- This bizarre retailer incentive that involved destroying other comic books, a super hot artist, and one of Marvel's most trendy characters flossing on the cover are the perfect recipe to catapult this book to $2300+ in a 9.8, and extremely strong figures in all down grades on the rare occasion one comes up for sale..

Siege3DeadpoolCGC96.jpg

#5- Uncanny X-Men #510 Partial Sketch, J. Scott Campbell (2009)- Without a doubt the most valuable and hard to find convention book out there, 9.6 copies of these have sold for $2800, and only proves once again that Campbell + crazy rarity + beautiful pin-up art = salivating fans and $$$. With a raw copy of this also cracking $2000 recently, all things considered, it wouldn't take much for this book to jump up higher on this list.

UncannyX-Men510Sketch.jpg

#4- Wolverine #1, J. Scott Campbell (2010)- Yet another JSC cover, this one his best, lands at #3. Featuring a stocky Wolverine bulging out of Deadpool's costume, this book easily commands $3k+ in a 9.8 and is very strong in all down grades, as well as raw. It was another "destroy comics" incentive to retailers, an incentive that was so derided in the industry that it has yet to be repeated, but resulted in a book with a very low print run and insatiable demand. It was the uber-high sales prices of this book a couple of years ago that really got the JSC train going at 100 miles per hour, and if it ever stops chugging along, people will still be paying big money for this book, and this one will likely be the one book for which he is most remembered in the years to come.

Wolverine1DeadpoolCGC9.8.jpg

#3- Amazing Spider-Man #678 (2012)- This now classic and oft-reprinted and homaged cover features Mary Jane in mid-possession by the alien symbiote known as Venom. Its character mash-up and spoof elements made it an instant hit right out of the gate and it never looked back. A 1:50 variant released when ASM sales were barely cracking 50,000, this book has gone for $3500 in a 9.8 (on the rare occasion they're offered), and as much as $1000 for an 8.5! So strong is the pull of this book that it raised to prominence (and value) most, if not all of the other "Venom Variants" that were released outside of the ASM title that same month, which has now led to a brand new batch of Venom-themed variants coming in 2017. A raw copy has now also broken $2100, and its scarcity on the market, its "modern grail" status, and presence in the ASM run should keep it at the top of this list for a very long time.

AmazingSpider-Man678MaryJaneVenom.jpg

#2- Batman #608 RRP (2002)- The granddaddy of the RRP's (and possibly all modern variants) continues to hold on to the #2 spot. And why not? It's Batman, a first appearance of a new villain, and Part One of a story line that put the Batman title back on top. Oh yeah, and it has Jim Lee art. With prices now at $4,800 (and counting) for 9.8's, over $2,300 for 9.6's, and $2100 raw, and copies seeming to have all but disappeared into personal collections, don't expect to get this one on the cheap ever again (if you can even find one).

Batman608RRPCover.jpg

#1- Amazing Spider-Man #667, Dell'Otto (2011)- Still #1 with a bullet, It was a year and a half ago back in September, 2015 when a VF/NM-ish raw copy of this sold for over $2000 that, in retrospect, seems to have kicked off this "next-level" of prices that people are now willing to pay for even raw copies of some of these truly rare books. At the time, such a high price paid for a raw modern book, no matter how rare, raised more than a few eyebrows, but since then we have seen similar stratospheric prices paid for multiple other books, including this one, which beat its own record when another, VF-looking raw copy sold for $2500 six months later, and a 9.6 copy hit $4k in June, 2016. As a side bonus, the multiple blockbuster sales of this one book officially put the name "Dell'otto" on the map, and raised his profile to the A-lister status shared by other hot and talented artists with names like Campbell, Hughes, and Lee. Possibly one of the rarest books of all in the entire ASM run, this book is a completionist's nightmare, and a rare variant hunter's wet dream. Hardly ever offered for sale, in any condition, there are reports of just 225 of these being produced. Whether this is true or not, however few copies there are seem to have already disappeared into permanent collections, and it is a veritable feeding frenzy when a copy does find its way to market. If there is such a thing as "Golden Age rarity" in the Modern Age (whether that rarity is "manufactured" or not), the ASM 667 Dell'Otto has it, and at this rate, there could easily come a time when years go by without a copy seeing the light of day.

AmazingSpider-Man667DellOtto.jpg

***Fell Off The List For Now, But Clawing at #12*** :(

Amazing Spider-Man #688, Campbell (2012)

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

That's amazing. Big time congrats.

Dude, you just blew up GPA for a 9.4 by $500. :headbang:

-J.

Hello again everyone! :hi:

Just put the finishing touches on the list, with updated copy. Biggest mover this time around was ASM #700 Ditko.

#8- Amazing Spider-Man #700, Ditko (2013)- Guess who's back.. back again. Ditko's back. Tell a friend. In a remarkable reversal, this 1:200 book makes the biggest leap this time around, from not being on the list at all, to #8! A pair of 9.8's selling between $2500-$2800, strong 9.6 sales, and a raw copy going for over $900 is what's to thank. By the looks of things it seems these are drying up on ebay and into personal collections, causing a resurgence in realized prices.

AmazingSpider-Man700Birthday.jpg

-J.

Hi Jay :hi:

Still no payment on the only one I could find in e-bay's sold listings? (shrug)

This seller seems to give every paying buyer feedback when they pay - looks like someone was trying to pump the price up and probably just bid on it but didn't pay.

Bad Astronaut Feedback left for others

ASM 700 NOT "sold" for $2799

:(