• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

R.I.P Raphael Loh, Captain America MegaCollector

50 posts in this topic

Just got a heartbreaking phone call from Torrey (Kevlar) saying Raphael Loh has passed earlier today.

For those who may not recognize the name or are newer to the boards, Oneasian/Raphael) was more than just a member here, he was THE Captain America collector, and one of the pioneers of collecting sketch covers. His passion for collecting helped a newbie collector (me) back in 2007 understand how to navigate the convention scene and get commissions done.

To say this hit me hard is an UNDERSTATEMENT.

I as well as Torrey have begun pulling items to auction off with all profits going to Raphs family. Torrey is going to be auctioning off a cast signed Aliens book and in honor of Raphs love of Captain America, I will be auction off some of my prized Fallen Son sketch covers and Captain America sketches.

-Dan

Edited by Par2ch

Thanks for posting this Dan - wasn't sure who would start this thread after I got the call from Torrey this evening.

I remember Raphael (board name Raphael, previous board name oneasian) hunting for all those Caps back in the day - didn't know how young he was at the time. I have to go back and look through all those PM convos, glad I don't remove myself from topic very often. Very sad day indeed. My condolences to his Family and his friends over at Gotham City.

RIP Raphael

Hello, everyone.

I am a cousin of Raphael, on his mother's side.

My father noticed the link to these forums from Raph's Facebook page. I never knew that my cousin even frequented comics forums. I am myself a regular poster on two forums, on GameFAQs boards and a now-retired moderator for NarutoForums boards (as Comic Book Guy). Small world. I never knew about these forums. Well, I've signed up here now to make a post.

Raphael was the first comic book guy of his family, and also of my family on either side. He was only a few years older than me, so I grew up reading his collection of Marvel superheroes and borrowed his videotape recordings of X-Men: The Animated Series to watch because I couldn't get home in time to watch the episodes. Two other cousins and myself, we four were regular comics readers but it was me and Raph that were leading the way. I accompanied him to his Fan Expo (Canada's equivalent of the San Diego Comic Con -- I had attended a year before him) when Jim Lee, Leonard Nimoy, and the late Carrie Fisher were the major attractions. I think it was also his first convention experience. He and I, along with his girlfriend now wife, were standing in line for Jim Lee's autograph. And it was a huge line, every day he was there. We were lucky to have most of our stuff signed by Jim and get free sketches from him too. I believe he asked Jim Lee to sketch Cap (I asked for The Question). I don't quite remember if he asked Jim Lee for another sketch for the next day (because of popularity and time, security limited it to EITHER get three/1 thing signed by Lee, or get a free head sketch. Third day, no more free sketches). Later on, we later had Jim Lee sign our exclusive All-Star Batman Fan Expo promo posters when we bumped into Lee just as he was leaving the convention. There was about 7 or so people just laying their posters on the ground and Jim Lee was kneeling and signing everyone. Just about we were to join him, Raph joked that, "Look at him. It's like fans are kneeling before a god." After that weekend, he asked for my poster and, later, surprised me that he had it framed for his GF and us family that were there.

That's Raph. Since that first Fan Expo, he has been a regular at Fan Expo as an attendee and a vendor along with his wife, developed his love for commissions and for custom sketch covers, and became one of the CGC members/adjudicators.

As we grew up, comics also began to influence us. He was Marvel, I was DC who later grew to love comics beyond the superhero. He collected singles and trades, I only bought the collected trades with the most extras for the behind-the-scenes stuff to better study as an aspiring comics writer. I'm a PhD student whose main topic of interest is in comics studies, Raph became an English teacher that would have loved to include comics in his teaching curricula. The times I met/talked to Raph, we'd talk a lot about the current stories in comics, how some current writers are screwing up characters, the upcoming cons of interest, and also things from my comics studies that would be applicable to him pitching comics to his highschool higher-ups to accept for his English curricula.

The last time we talked, I don't know if he succeeded or completed his pitch and make its case. I was going to give him "Teaching the Graphic Novel" edited by Stephen E. Tabachnick (2010) to contribute to his pitch.

That's Raph. He loved comics, and he wanted to contribute to others enjoying them as well, be it in school or at the conventions or at the store or, as I learned, in the forums. He was our family's first comic book guy.

Thank you for thinking of Raph. Well wishes to you all.

Edited by Comic_Book_Guy

I'm speechless. Raph was an amazing person. I had the pleasure of meeting him at NYCC several years back. Hell, he even took part in several sketch opps that I ran.

Sad news for me this morning.......

Hey everyone...so a short update. Raph's sister posted the following on FB:

It is with the heaviest of hearts that we announce the passing of our beloved, Raphael Justin Kum-Ming Loh. He died suddenly on Saturday January 14, 2017 at about 4:00 a.m.

He had been complaining about a blockage that he tried home remedies to deal with. He attended a doctor on Friday and was given a prescription that seemed to work. He was happy and smiling and he told us he loved us.

The next morning he complained of abdominal pain and then he collapsed.

He died instantly.

We don't have a coroner's report yet but we suspect based on what we saw that there was a rupture, or a disconnection. There was no way we could have foreseen it and nothing we could have done to prevent it.

Funeral arrangements will be announced after we get an answer from the coroner.

Raphael, or as we as a family called him, Kum-Ming (pronounced "Gum-Ming"') was my parents' only son.

He was Leena Chan's one and only.

He was our whole world.

He leaves behind his grieving wife, Leena Chan and his parents, Joachim Loh and Jenny Loh. And me.

We are nothing short of absolutely devastated. And even if it seems like we dont want to talk to you, we do. We don't want to feel alone in our tremendous grief and from what it seems like, there are many of you out there who are also in shock and are grieving.

Please tell us a story about how our boy and the light of our world touched your life.

If anyone would like to either make a donation to go to Raph's wife or would like to donate an item(s) to be auctioned off, please PM me.

Raph told me he was a huge fan of Aliens so I will have a cast signed Aliens variant that I will be auctioning on ebay and all proceeds will go to his family. Will post the link on Tuesday when the book is here and posted online.

Hello, everyone.

I am a cousin of Raphael, on his mother's side.

My father noticed the link to these forums from Raph's Facebook page. I never knew that my cousin even frequented comics forums. I am myself a regular poster on two forums, on GameFAQs boards and a now-retired moderator for NarutoForums boards (as Comic Book Guy). Small world. I never knew about these forums. Well, I've signed up here now to make a post.

Raphael was the first comic book guy of his family, and also of my family on either side. He was only a few years older than me, so I grew up reading his collection of Marvel superheroes and borrowed his videotape recordings of X-Men: The Animated Series to watch because I couldn't get home in time to watch the episodes. Two other cousins and myself, we four were regular comics readers but it was me and Raph that were leading the way. I accompanied him to his Fan Expo (Canada's equivalent of the San Diego Comic Con -- I had attended a year before him) when Jim Lee, Leonard Nimoy, and the late Carrie Fisher were the major attractions. I think it was also his first convention experience. He and I, along with his girlfriend now wife, were standing in line for Jim Lee's autograph. And it was a huge line, every day he was there. We were lucky to have most of our stuff signed by Jim and get free sketches from him too. I believe he asked Jim Lee to sketch Cap (I asked for The Question). I don't quite remember if he asked Jim Lee for another sketch for the next day (because of popularity and time, security limited it to EITHER get three/1 thing signed by Lee, or get a free head sketch. Third day, no more free sketches). Later on, we later had Jim Lee sign our exclusive All-Star Batman Fan Expo promo posters when we bumped into Lee just as he was leaving the convention. There was about 7 or so people just laying their posters on the ground and Jim Lee was kneeling and signing everyone. Just about we were to join him, Raph joked that, "Look at him. It's like fans are kneeling before a god." After that weekend, he asked for my poster and, later, surprised me that he had it framed for his GF and us family that were there.

That's Raph. Since that first Fan Expo, he has been a regular at Fan Expo as an attendee and a vendor along with his wife, developed his love for commissions and for custom sketch covers, and became one of the CGC members/adjudicators.

As we grew up, comics also began to influence us. He was Marvel, I was DC who later grew to love comics beyond the superhero. He collected singles and trades, I only bought the collected trades with the most extras for the behind-the-scenes stuff to better study as an aspiring comics writer. I'm a PhD student whose main topic of interest is in comics studies, Raph became an English teacher that would have loved to include comics in his teaching curricula. The times I met/talked to Raph, we'd talk a lot about the current stories in comics, how some current writers are screwing up characters, the upcoming cons of interest, and also things from my comics studies that would be applicable to him pitching comics to his highschool higher-ups to accept for his English curricula.

The last time we talked, I don't know if he succeeded or completed his pitch and make its case. I was going to give him "Teaching the Graphic Novel" edited by Stephen E. Tabachnick (2010) to contribute to his pitch.

That's Raph. He loved comics, and he wanted to contribute to others enjoying them as well, be it in school or at the conventions or at the store or, as I learned, in the forums. He was our family's first comic book guy.

Thank you for thinking of Raph. Well wishes to you all.

My condolences to you and your family. :sorry:

Also welcome to the Boards :foryou:

I met Raph when I was getting my Sig Series start back in 2008-2009. Very sad to hear this. My condolences.

Very sad news, Raph was a great person in our community. One of the great joys of collecting comics is meeting wonderful people who have a like interest. Raph is one who I will never forget. My condolences to his family for this terrible loss.

Edited by Triston Pence