• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017 Collecting Goals

52 posts in this topic

I didn't see the usual annual collecting goals thread just some

results last month in the 2016 thread.

I felt last year was a little down but did spend a lot more than usual on my Tex Ghost Rider painting to start the year so that probably had a lot to do with it.

I went into this year looking to add about 3 to 5 pieces.

It took me less than 2 weeks to buy 2 new Jusko paintings and a Dan Brereton painting and basically spend more on just those than what I was expecting to spend for the whole year. :tonofbricks:

I didn't see the usual annual collecting goals thread just some

results last month in the 2016 thread.

I felt last year was a little down but did spend a lot more than usual on my Tex Ghost Rider painting to start the year so that probably had a lot to do with it.

I went into this year looking to add about 3 to 5 pieces.

It took me less than 2 weeks to buy 2 new Jusko paintings and a Dan Brereton painting and basically spend more on just those than what I was expecting to spend for the whole year. :tonofbricks:

Tex was the top Ghost Rider artist in my opinion

For 2017, I am looking to fill holes in my collection for particular artists and characters.

Harvey Kurtzman - Little Annie Fanny

Don Martin - Captain Klutz

Jack Kirby/Wally Wood - Sky Masters

D i c k Sprang - Batman

Joe Shuster - Superman

Gil Kane - Green Lantern oath page

Neal Adams - Batman/Deadman/Spectre

I hope to buy at least one piece of OA this year. Last year everything I was interested in went for quite a bit more than I was willing to pay. Specific goal would be one of the following

Marvel Silver Age splash, twice up.

Daredevil splash or even panel page from issue 33

Breyfogle Batman or Detective cover

Fantastic Four twice up by Kirby.

Oh yeah, and peace on earth.

Edited by batman_fan

My goals are simple this year:

Craig EC splash or end page (with VK)

Wrightson peak Warren page

Kaluta Shadow page

Chaykin Star Wars page

and either of my Weird War Tales cover grails if they happen to come up for sale. (The same holds true for the Ingels end page that got away from me twice (!) when the universe cruelly conspired against me, lol).

Of course, the issue is finding these beauties, but that's the thrill of the hunt.

Get another New Warriors Bagley cover/splash page. Purchase a splash featuring one of the New Warriors. The page has to ONLY feature the character. I have Night Thrasher (Night Thrasher #1 cover) and Speedball (Fear Itself: Homefrony splash from Mike Mayhew)

No goals. Pretty close to tip-toeing out the backdoor altogether.

My goals are very similar to last year:

1. Stay ultra-focused and try not to stray much from my very narrow want list

2. I hope to do better at not buying smaller pieces just to scratch the itch and feel like I'm actively participating in the hobby, because, duh, I'm actively involved anyway. Don't need it = don't buy it

3. My overriding goal will be, for a second consecutive year, to ensure that any OA purchases are fully offset by OA sales. In fact, in the absence of any bigger pieces from my want list turning up, I hope to take some chips off the table this year

I don't know that I would also characterize myself as tip-toeing out the back door, but I definitely don't feel the hunger to constantly acquire more art that I used to. Even to the extent that I still really want certain pieces, I'll pay high end of FMV or maybe a bit above, but there's nothing I want so badly anymore that I would pay insane money or let myself be held to ransom. I find myself routinely turning down, passing on, or, at best, bidding half-heartedly on pieces that I would have gone to the mat for 2-3 years ago.

I think that's largely due to (1) being very content - thrilled, even - with the collection I've assembled over the past 14+ years (more than I could ever have dreamed of acquiring when I started collecting) and (2) changing life priorities. At this point in my life, I feel that money put towards various other ends would be more productive than most art I could buy at this point. At some point, the incremental satisfaction of acquiring more art diminishes to the point where it's often simply no longer worth it, or you just have to spend more and more money to buy something that will give you the same jolt that a cheaper piece used to (or you have to get lucky and have something very nostalgic/meaningful yet affordable turn up). I've definitely reached that point in my collecting lifecycle.

I want to continue to diversify my collection in 2017. By that, I don't necessarily mean buying a ton of stuff. But last year I picked up a half dozen pieces that ranged from covers to commissions, and it felt immensely satisfying. Not just from the aesthetically pleasing nature of the pieces, but also financially.

In recent years, I'd largely been focused on making 1-2 big purchases per year (big being relative, since many other collectors have much deeper pockets than I do). But after adding a few nice panels and splash pages, I think i'm going to continue down that road, and save cover purchases for REALLY special opportunities.

All that aside, I guess my specific collecting goals (aside from my usual interests) would be:

1. A 70s Kirby cover

2. Bronze Age Spidey splash

3. Bronze Age Wonder Woman art -- really looking for a nice display piece for my daughter's room. a Garcia-Lopez merchandising example would be great, or a splash. Something that really captures the family-friendly look that defined WW for me as a kid.

I find myself in the same position as Gene, but likely with a much tighter budget and different interests.

Like Gene, I want focus and restraint/will power. For me this means not excitedly pulling the trigger every time there is what I consider a "deal" to be had, on a piece or pieces I don't really want anyway. I just end up with a bunch of stuff that clutters the collection that I don't really care about and I end up putting up for auction a year or less later. So this mainly means staying away from Malvin's for sale gallery (but man, some of Malvin's deals are hard to resist as we have very similar taste)

Then, it means taking stock of my current collection and really zero in on why I own the piece and decide whether I really want it or not. Over the years I have bought sold and traded 100's and 100's of pieces and I am not sure I ever truly regretted selling off a piece (okay, well maybe one or two) outside of the fact that I could have possibly gotten significantly more than what I sold them for if I held onto them longer, which to me is a different kind of regret than the kind you experience by no longer having a piece in your collection you truly loved. Any piece I did let go of that may have had a twinge of that, I replaced with an "equal or better" version of the piece (except maybe a Mignola Cosmic Odyssey page).

Some of this, is because, like Gene, I am fairly happy with my collection. I perhaps have a couple specific "want list" pieces here and there and then there is always room for a couple pieces I don't realize I want badly until I see them and then a couple pieces you thought would never become available and then they do, but overall, I'm good. And like Gene, I want to start putting that money towards other things. Not necessarily "smarter" or more responsible things or investments (though a house purchase is on the horizon and at least some of that money will go towards that), but I have a few personal creative projects I have always wanted to do and I really should be putting the money towards those.

SO basically, I need to take each piece from my collection and if there isn't a personal story attached to it outside of, "I saw it and I liked it", I want to let it go.

So that's the "I need to slow down" section.

In the "who am I kidding, I love this stuff and will never be completely out of buying no matter how satisfied I am with my collection" section. For this year:

Well, I got on Gerhard's commission list last year and just reached the top at the beginning of this year. I am not a commission collector at all, but have a pencil piece I always wanted inked and realized he's be perfect since it mostly detailed architecture.

And in other commission news (I said I wasn't a commission guy, right?), I am somewhere in reaching distance on Raphael Grampa's commission list I think (though maybe not), so I need to have money aside if that comes up, because I will not just let that one slide. Been waiting a couple years now.

Other than that, nothing specific that I am hunting down. A couple specific want list pieces that I have never seen before and a couple lower priced items should they surface. A piece or two in other collections I am waiting for them to let go of and I will likely get a couple modern pieces this year from artists I have a personal relationship with (Though question... How many pieces from a single artist is too many? Not including complete issues.)

There. Well that was a long, convoluted typing session about this simple question, but I think it helped. Thanks for the couch session.

Duane

Edited by Dumur

It is interesting hearing people talk about cutting back to put the money towards other stuff in their life. I actually took about 2 years off buying anything and actually sold some stuff to fund something else I wanted to do. Fortunately life's circumstances changed in a positive direction and I sold off only a few items and was able to pursue another passion, making alcohol :cloud9:

null_zpsb2f85bb0.jpg

1. Reduce the hoard by moving out some smaller pieces.

2. Commission only a few primo quality pieces rather than multiple small pieces

3. Pick up 1 or 2 key pieces that fit my collection (Mary Jane, Batgirl, Batman, X-Men)

Stay focused on favorite artists (S Buscema, Keown, Pelletier, Ed McG, Pagulayan, Trimpe, Weeks, Deodato, McFarlane, etc.)

Pick up a couple/few new pieces for my Larkin homage gallery

Would love to track down a nice silver age twice up page

1) Sell off all the "smaller" ancillary items in my collection. I have a tendency to thrill buy at conventions. Need to stop doing that. This year, I plan to keep it to my main themes/characters.

2) Been wanting a nice Arthur Adams piece for a few years. Will use the proceeds from the sales of the above mentioned pieces to help offset the costs. This is my only real goal for the year. Until I accomplish this, most everything is on the back burner.

3) Once I acquired a nice Adams piece, plan to move on to the next items on the want list - a nice Jim Lee piece, and an Anacleto.

4) Keep all new purchases to a minimum, while hopefully locating a few choice Valkyrie pieces over the year.