• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

God Country, Image, Cates, Shaw, Wordie, Hill
1 1

89 posts in this topic

Just got through reading issue #1 and it was very enjoyable. Completely different than what it appeared it might be. Nope, Rumble meets Wizard of Oz meets Thor, it is not. lol

Cover 1A

Cover 1B

Solid read but no idea whether or not this is a mini or an ongoing. Guessing that people have been sleeping on Image as Seven to Eternity is really taking off. This first issue was as good as that one imo. So this one might be something or they might come out with only 8 issues in 3 years. Time will tell.

PS: If you've watched Star Wars or read Pretty Deadly, you'll see some things that will remind you of both stories though the PD is only from one page of art.

Edit:the book starts off with a quote by Cormac McCarthy. I had no idea off of the top of my head who this was so I looked him up. He is the writer of No Country for Old Men. While I've never read the book, the movie of the same title would fall in the masterpiece category imo. Brilliant in every way.

Edit part 2: I also didn't realize that the writer and artist of God Country were also the team that did Buzzkill. Super story. My only complaint was that it was too short.

Edit part 3: The reviews are in.

Its great to enjoy a book but for some reason, it seems even better when others notice the same thing you do. (thumbs u

Edited by The Authority

This book went from something unfamiliar to super seller in less than 3 days. When I left for work this morning, there were 103 completed sales on ebay. By the time I got home a little over 11 hours later, there are now 134 completed sales on ebay. Pretty hot book.

God Country #1

Edited by The Authority

This book went from something unfamiliar to super seller in less than 3 days. When I left for work this morning, there were 103 completed sales on ebay. By the time I got home a little over 11 hours later, there are now 134 completed sales on ebay. Pretty hot book.

God Country #1

It has a lot of review buzz from what I understand, as I said in my previous comment, not seeing whatever it is people are seeing. Maybe more books should start with a Cormac McCarthy quote lol

lol

More books should be like No Country for Old Men for certain.

Really have no idea what this book will do long term on the secondary market. One book in, how could we ? Do you think this is a large print run book like north of 40,000 or a 10-20,000 distribution book ? I read and bought tons of back issues the last couple of months so this book came out of nowhere for me.

The book was featured in CSN and has a great poster So maybe a lot of people bet on it but stuff that comes out in the Late Fall/early Winter has better odds on the secondary market. I love the 1A cover. The more I look at it, the more the colors really stand out, especially in the tornado. Hope it gets better for you, if not, we still have East of West lol

Edited by The Authority

Yep, I'm dreading the end of East of West. Lots of stuff I like but few I view as things I'll read again in 10 years.

No idea what this book will end up being. I've heard both praise and complaints about the art. I personally liked it. The last page was just like " oh wow, I absolutely wasn't expecting that ! " lol

The cover to #2b looks awesome too.

For whatever it's worth, every single page of original art from issue #1 has sold:

http://www.felixcomicart.com/ArtistGalleryTitleDetails.asp?Details=1&ArtistId=579&Mag=GOD+COUNTRY

Took about a day. I just talked to Geoff and he's blown away by the response. He told me that the first issue is a sell-out, and they'll be doing a second printing with a new cover.

You can never predict these things. It's a surprise to me, too. Still too early to know where this is going, but for now, folks really seem to be taken by the book. I'm happy for Donny Cates (the writer) and Geoff, and hope this is the breakthrough they deserve. IMO, Donny's two previous efforts, GHOST FLEET and THE PAYBACKS were both solid books which were marketed poorly by Dark Horse and never found their audience. The only difference with GOD COUNTRY is Image. For Dark Horse's sake, hope they figure out what Image is doing right.