• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Two-In-One #50 "Thing VS Thing" by John Byrne w/ George Perez Cover

21 posts in this topic

This was an interesting incident. I went to the Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention this past weekend, where George Perez was attending, signing autographs.

I was looking for a comic book to get signed, and always like the cover of Marvel Two-In-One #50.

It's not an expensive book, you can find them on eBay right now, depending on the grade, some as low as $1.00, with most completed sales under $3 and at best around $10.

So, I approach a dealer and he asks what I'm looking for and I tell him "Marvel Two In One #50" and he starts to hum and haw a bit, and then pays me a fake compliment of sort and comments "That's a key book, in fact the entire title run is worthless except for that book, which is about $40" and then proceeds to flip through his inventory to produce that book.

Knowing what I know, luckily, I just told him, "at $40, it's out my price range" and left.

That sort of left a bad taste in my mouth that a dealer would basically ask what someone wants, then proceed to gouge the price, by 10x, in hopes of selling it.

It did make me curious after the incident to look up values in case I was missing something, and it still remains a book worth less than $5, and is not a key book, it's a cute book at best.

To me, the copy looks like it has a spine roll.

Actually quite a good comic, and Byrne draws the character well, particularly his earlier look.

prices instantly go up 1000-2000% once you tell some dealers you are looking for a specific low demand book. they will yank it out of their dollar box and offer it to you for $15. they figure if someone is interested in something it must be because it got hot last night or something.

That one on eBay is anything but in incredible condition. lol

Always loved this cover.

This series deserves more love. :cloud9: But not $50 worth. :makepoint:

Yeah I loved this series and Marvel Team up back in the day, I searched so hard for the early issues only to later find out that they were ND ( not distributed ) in the UK :tonofbricks:

prices instantly go up 1000-2000% once you tell some dealers you are looking for a specific low demand book. they will yank it out of their dollar box and offer it to you for $15. they figure if someone is interested in something it must be because it got hot last night or something.

at a $15 price, the OP may have been able to negotiate and say "how about $10?", instead the dealer at the show offered it at $40 and the buyer and seller are just far to far apart on price.

As a seller I would have been ecstatic to have that book sell at 5 bucks at a show.

I see it a lot at shows, a dealer thinks he has someone who doesn't quite know what things are worth.. like when someone at NYCC a couple of years ago asked a dealer I know if he had a Spawn 1 (Mcfarlane was signing I think) and he pulls it off the wall and says it's $20....

I bought this book off the stands back in the day. It was a great issue, but I agree it's no where near a key. The follow-up story back in the late '80s or early '90s pretty much sucked, but issue #50 was great.

This is the one where Ben comes to term towards the end of the story that he's really not as bad as the "other guy", right? I recall a typical Ben Grimm line of "Compared to him, I look like Robert Redford" or something similar.

I see it a lot at shows, a dealer thinks he has someone who doesn't quite know what things are worth.. like when someone at NYCC a couple of years ago asked a dealer I know if he had a Spawn 1 (Mcfarlane was signing I think) and he pulls it off the wall and says it's $20....

Not surprised to see a dealer jack up the price of a book because the artist is in attendance. MTIO 50, though? I don't see anyone buying MTIO anymore, he should be happy to get something for it. At $40, I'd make a scene.

I just passed on a MTIU for $3 at a local shop...at first I was going to grab it because of this thread (which is dumb because I have at least one copy at home) and then I realized the whole point of this thread is that its probably a $3 book...

I just passed on a MTIU for $3 at a local shop...at first I was going to grab it because of this thread (which is dumb because I have at least one copy at home) and then I realized the whole point of this thread is that its probably a $3 book...

100% Yes, not the typical "artificial power of suggestion" type of self-serving post to try to create false demand.

More of the story of how a comic dealer lost a sale and a potential customer by their over zealous antics to create false hype, erroneous information, and over inflated pricing (I'd say gauging since it was 10x over true fair market value).

The book is nice, but can be found for under $5 most of the times, and is often in many dollar bins in decent shape.

Yeah, I'm sure a high grade or signature series by Byrne or Perez might be worth a lot more, but in general it's just a fun do-nothing uneventful book that's entertaining to read.

Heh. Just got back from the LCS just now. Found this one in the $1 bin. Didn't even have a bag. Figured I play the game and asked the clerk "Hey, isn't this a key?". Basically the response I got back was "Nah, only if a customer was trying to sell to him" :roflmao: .

167693.jpg.8f8f29e1032e3e2895a2a6e13adfbbcd.jpg