• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,172 posts in this topic

Wow, just noticed this sale of a logo-stripped Weird Comics #1 in November. Somebody sure wanted this one!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/weird-comics-1-fox-features-syndicate-1940-condition-pr/a/121647-13667.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Wow, just noticed this sale of a logo-stripped Weird Comics #1 in November. Somebody sure wanted this one!

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/weird-comics-1-fox-features-syndicate-1940-condition-pr/a/121647-13667.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

That book should have been destroyed in 1940! :sumo:

Someone somewhere mentioned that Fox books were doing pretty well at auction.

Yes, if I remember correctly, I believe a couple of the Wonderworlds (#11 & #12) sold for something like $2,700 in raw VG condtion on eBay this past summer. :o

I guess we will get to see if the 2016 summer heat on the Fox books is still burning strong into 2017, as CC has 2 of the early Fantastic books on the block in their upcoming Event Auction scheduled for this March. hm

Nothing much from the two big Fox boys, however, since there is only a raw G- copy of Wonderworld 17. Not sure if this is one of those mid to later Fox books that are supposedly tough to track down? (shrug)

WonderworldComics011_zpsleli6k92.jpg

I seemed to have missed this one!! Very nice!!

+1

And surprisingly, it's still the highest graded copy on the CGC census, even 12 long years after it was graded. :o:cloud9:

Yes, that's a sweet book. It really shows off the line work and amazing anatomical rendering of Lou Fine.

According to Murphy Anderson's book (c. 2003), George Tuska and Murphy (a comic book newbie at this point) sat next to each other at Fiction House (~1943), and George watched Murphy do some drawings. George said, "Oh, you like Lou Fine, huh?" Evidently George was not too impressed. George went on: "Now, Lou Fine doesn't draw like that. He constructs everything. He constructs the figures, often drawing them nude, and then he'll put the clothes on them." This observation had a large impact on Murphy's subsequent style.

And this Wonderworld 11 is a great example illustrating George's comments.

Great pick up, Rick! I almost bid on that, but I couldn't get past the tape.

You know, sometimes you get a better presenting book with a major defect like that. I once had a lower grade Reform School Girls with detached cover but it looked like a 6.0. I think this book looks nicer than a 1.5 because of the tape.