• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What ONE piece of art would you be willing to give up your entire collection for

94 posts in this topic

So this question popped in my mind tonight as I was looking at CAF and saw this awesome painting posted by Eric Roberts. He has one of the truly premium collections on CAF.

The image he posted is below. Now I Like Elvgren, but after looking a this piece tonight I started to ask myself - would I trade my collection to have one awesome painting like this? And if I did such a thing - could I be happy?

For the sake of discussion - would you consider (hypothetically) trading in your collection for one big piece? and if so, what might that piece of art be? To keep the fantasy portion of this what would you do game in check - the art you would get couldn't be worth more than the art you own. so if your collection is worth X, the item couldn't be worth 2x.

Certainly some folks on the boards have huge collections (Talking to you Mr. Peck), but the idea is the same. You can imagine you sell everything, buy the one piece to enjoy and if there's left over money -use it for other stuff. Again -basically giving up your collection and finding happiness in one piece of art.

The art doesn't have to be available for sale -but conceptually its value would have to be estimated as if it were for sale. In other words, could be the cover to Action #1.

U3t5fP3V_1511161740381gpadd.jpg

See the rest of Eric's amazing collection here.

Edited by Panelfan1

Well for me the answer is easier. I wouldn't do it, there isn't art out there that I would trade my entire collection for and still be equally happy as I am today (with my current collection)

Malvin

Edited by malvin

Well for me the answer is easier. I wouldn't do it, there isn't art out there that I would trade my entire collection for and still be equally happy as I am today (with my current collection)

Malvin

totally valid. Not sure I could do it either, but it's fun to consider.

Perhaps part of the reason I was on this train of thought tonight is a friend was talking about the minimalists (check them out on ted talks - youtube). so the idea was to narrow down art collecting to an 'essence'.

I want to agree, except he didn't limit it to comic art, so yeah I'd trade my collection for the Mona Lisa :insane:

Ah wait, he put an FMV limiter in. In that case, I wouldn't do it and it wouldn't be a hard decision

I want to agree, except he didn't limit it to comic art, so yeah I'd trade my collection for the Mona Lisa :insane:

the mona lisa is valid as long as you honestly believe that the selling price of it would be equal or less than what your collection is worth.

for the sake of these boards however, it might be more appropriate to choose comic/genre art as opposed to fine art in general. but that's not a hard n fast rule.

Ah wait, he put an FMV limiter in. In that case, I wouldn't do it and it wouldn't be a hard decision

I didn't even see the part about fair market value in a one for one swap before I made my decision. Even if value was not equally weighted, I still wouldn't do it.

Scott

Edited by stinkininkin

Couldn't do it, even if there WERE one piece that would satisfy me. My collection is made up of a series of memories and past and current relationships. Friendships, experiences and so on. I see it as a living breathing whole in a way, and No single piece of art could ever encompass and replace all of the intangibles.

The splash page to X-men 1.

If it existed? The cover to Amazing Fantasy 15.

My collection wouldn't be enough lol

make an offer to Josh ;)

There is nothing I would trade my whole collection for sorry.

I would trade a carefully put together collection for a single piece. Whats the point?

A collection is more than the sum of its parts...I recently had a collector look at all my stuff and he pointed out the themes that were there common to all pieces but not even recognized by me

Couldn't do it, even if there WERE one piece that would satisfy me. My collection is made up of a series of memories and past and current relationships. Friendships, experiences and so on. I see it as a living breathing whole in a way, and No single piece of art could ever encompass and replace all of the intangibles.

indeed

There is no one piece of comic art that I would trade my whole collection for, even if you took off the FMV limitation. I mean, even if the Action 1 or AF 15 covers existed, those would of course be cool to own, but they wouldn't elicit the kind of personal nostalgia, memories, appreciation, etc. as the pieces that I already own, each of which I curated myself through my own lens of nostalgia, aesthetic appreciation, etc.

I mean, it's cool to see iconic trophy pieces surface/trade hands (e.g., GL #76, SS #4, etc.), but those are not the books and images that thrilled me as a 13-year old (confession: I've never even read SS #4). I've always said that my favorite comic art collection is my own. There may be larger and more valuable collections out there, as well as individual pieces in other collections that I like more than some of mine, but only my collection had every piece chosen by me for a specific reason. Even some of the 3-figure type pages I own have panels and images that are seared into my brain from my early days of reading/collecting and elicit more joy & nostalgia than most 6-figure trophy pieces would.