• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archie Q&A + Showoff Thread across all eras
2 2

61 posts in this topic

Thought it'd be swell to have a hub for all Archie lovers. Q's on collecting, trivia, technical stuff, opinions... and just plain showing off, all welcome ! :whee:

To start: Who's your fave character in the Archie universe, besides Archiekins himself?

For me, has to be Veronica in the SA books for being generally adorable. Zombie Jughead in MA (Afterlife) for being iconic + gut-wrenching in a poignant way.

IMG_20170107_112254_zps4wlwvyth.jpg

Afterlife01.jpg.cf.jpg

archie+002.jpg.cf.jpg

archie1francavilla_zps5bvgiy0c.png

Well I think it's important to call out Steve's thread and its 153 pages of Archie goodness...

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=317865

But I do love any Archie thread so, I'll add some stuff.

No doubt love it, I've posted there too; let this be the companion multi-purpose thread :hehe:

302-0914-1011a_zpse3b168d4.jpg

Here's one. The trivia is it's supposedly very difficult to find in high grade due to shoddy spine construction. So bad in fact that a subtle recall was issued at the bottom of the cover of Archie #56 which gave kids in the 50's a solid financial incentive to return their copies.

My top Archie books

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

One of my favorite variants from the new series

3076772.jpg

I got a sketch cover of the last one drawn by a freelance artist, I will post it when I have it uploaded where I can link to it.

I'm a big fan of Archie, and especially Steve's thread, but beyond the great cover art is timeless storytelling and humour.

I love Montana and DeCarlo art like the nex guy, but I also really enjoy Samm Schwartz and Stan Goldberg's art, especially the stories they drew throughout their careers as artists.

I'm slowly getting around to scanning my Archie OA and uploading it on CAF (see sig), but here's a 6-page story from Jughead #122 (1965) which is as good an example as any of what I'm trying to describe:

o0mfmD6j_1612161204071gpadd.jpg

OhRGi8J5_1612161204551gpadd.jpg

DkfQHaVC_1612161206421gpadd.jpg

GGH0MrA8_1612161207241gpadd.jpg

VlnShlyb_1612161208071gpadd.jpg

jv82EKN3_1612161208591gpadd.jpg

Always liked that Jughead cover. Jughead #132 is another (I have, but this is from GCD)

Hot damn, the Shield returns !! A crossover with Cap would've been amazing.

And that ghost story lol There's definitely a sweet spot with the stories. Sometimes the corny factor gets a bit thick, but more often there's a perfect blend of campy, hokey, and hilarious...