• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody got any cool rarities re: Yummy Fur, Mr. X., Palookaville?

45 posts in this topic

I have most of the Vortex/Drawn & Quarterly issues of Yummy Fur in my collection, but no issues of Mr. X or Palookaville. I have been searching for the original Yummy Fur mini comics (sold under Chester Brown's "Tortured Canoe" name) to no avail. That stuff is pretty rare.

I do have a copy of "You're Short, Bald and Ugly Charlie Brown." It's credited to "Dr. Casey 'Sparky' Finnegan" (which is a fake name referencing "Mr. Dressup," an old Canadian kid's show) and takes old Peanuts strips and changes the words to make the stories offensive. It was published in 1991 with a print run of around 300 copies. I have seen copies with yellow covers too.

So, here''s the story on this one: Joe Matt, Chester Brown and Seth all did this together as a lark with each doing a third of the comic. Joe Matt spilled the beans on this a few years ago. It's a really fun one to own...if you can ever find one.

167307.jpg.11a5ee7e6416349a6b3f1ee82560bbc6.jpg

Edited by ecgt

I also have some of Julie Doucet's original Dirty Plotte minis, which are significant Canadiana and extremely rare. Here are Vol. 2 # 1 and Vol. 2 # 2 (Dead Plotte).

167308.jpg.492fe4e7e14f50ac175cf15054c720ff.jpg

167309.jpg.ba380a146ab16221411c288fb2d4b1f8.jpg

Edited by ecgt

No worries. If you can ever locate one it's worth picking up.

There are certainly other obscure comics that Chester Brown worked on, but to me the Tortured Canoe Yumy Fur minis are the hardest to find of all of his solo work.

I just sold the first two runs of Mr. X on ebay (27 comics), all in the NM range for a total of $50 with shipping, and it's not like they were snapped up right away. I loved the covers, and the early issues with art by the Hernandez Bros were a fun read, but the series went nowhere storywise, and they went in the sell pile when I decided to cull my collection. neat books, but not rare. Still have my Yummy Furs and Palookavilles, though I never owned any of the scarce YF minis.

Here's a link to an eBay listing for the first three Tortured Canoe Yummy Fur minis (all are later printings, but # 3 is signed). It's timely that they were listed for sale just as this thread started to pick up steam:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yummy-Fur-1-3-Independent-Published-Ashcans-1983-1984-1st-Ed-Clown-NM-NM-/142236890043?hash=item211dfab3bb:g:r4oAAOSwo4pYcGLE

Edited by ecgt

Well now that bosco is here...

IMG_9663.jpg

Also this is pretty cool and rarely comes up

IMG_9664.jpg

Pm me if you want to sell a hg vortex. I need one. I keep meaning to frame the poster with that multipack. I have 2 of those rare packs, 1 from the stands and 1 I found in a box.

What are those collector packs? Remember the 4 mini posters they sold before the mr x comic came out? Never able to find those. city of dreams, city of nightmares

Never opened it but I think its simply a re-package of issues 6-9 with a cool wrap-around poster

Like a multi-pack

What are those collector packs? Remember the 4 mini posters they sold before the mr x comic came out? Never able to find those. city of dreams, city of nightmares

I ned these posters. Please help!

that's when Mr. X started to get unreadable and I bailed