• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PROBATION DISCUSSIONS
21 21

36,202 posts in this topic

I don't fear moderation retribution on this and if there is a problem mods feel free to PM me.

Boardie posted a Craigslist ad for vintage Star Wars figures in the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina area see who would respond. Lo and behold, Chip inquired about buying the collection.

How is it that a guy who lost his job, has no time, nor resources to ship out his sales, has the time and resources to buy vintage Star Wars collections ?

Chip needs to go.

I'm inclined to agree, but for the record, reading the for sale listing with an asking price for the toys of $150 (for 45 figures and 3 ships) with the implication that some are in their original boxes and never opened, can I ask just how tempting this ad would be? I do not know anything about vintage toys, so I am asking as temptations go if this is a potential lottery win, or just a decent potential flip, or pretty much all they would be worth?

For the record, the craigslist entrapment scenario doesn't sway me.

As I said earlier, Chip's lack of communication and lack of performance is enough to indict him.

When I joined this forum 12 years I was so broke I used to have to borrow money from Louise just to pay for gas to visit her some days. Thankfully, she saw a long term investment in me. :grin:

But if I saw a deal like that pop up somewhere online I'd have been all over it and figure out how to pay for it after the fact, thinking that I can make my money AND repay debts.

So it's a non-sequitur for me.

Maybe the fact that crassus, FineCollector and myself are all Canadian is the reason we agree? lol

I don't fear moderation retribution on this and if there is a problem mods feel free to PM me.

Boardie posted a Craigslist ad for vintage Star Wars figures in the Myrtle Beach, South Carolina area see who would respond. Lo and behold, Chip inquired about buying the collection.

How is it that a guy who lost his job, has no time, nor resources to ship out his sales, has the time and resources to buy vintage Star Wars collections ?

Chip needs to go.

I'm inclined to agree, but for the record, reading the for sale listing with an asking price for the toys of $150 (for 45 figures and 3 ships) with the implication that some are in their original boxes and never opened, can I ask just how tempting this ad would be? I do not know anything about vintage toys, so I am asking as temptations go if this is a potential lottery win, or just a decent potential flip, or pretty much all they would be worth?

When I joined this forum 12 years I was so broke I used to have to borrow money from Louise just to pay for gas to visit her some days. Thankfully, she saw a long term investment in me. :grin:

Roy, what the hell does that have to do with Chip? Nothing. Did you have a history of bad deals, and scamming for money on these boards? No.

I'm sure one of his enablers will be blasting you for this. If not here, then perhaps on wookiebuttplugs.net or whatever website they commiserate on.

Ricky lol

If you are referring to me, there is no enabling.

Coming from a history of mental illness, I thought the name calling and torch lighting was in poor taste.

I don't think anybody (including myself) denied that Chip should be held accountable for his actions.

I don't see any enabling. Do you?

I almost brought up that Canadian connection earlier but thought it would sound personal, lol Since you brought it up though, maybe that's the solution. He can stay up there with you guys for a while...and figure things out...

I almost brought up that Canadian connection earlier but thought it would sound personal, lol Since you brought it up though, maybe that's the solution. He can stay up there with you guys for a while...and figure things out...

(tsk)

Roy, what the hell does that have to do with Chip? Nothing. Did you have a history of bad deals, and scamming for money on these boards? No.

It has nothing to do with Chip. I'm just trying to show that the craiglist entrapment incident put on by Brock really doesn't prove anything (as I agree with crassus and FineCollector). And it shows a lot more about Brock than it does Chip IMO. doh!

As I have repeatedly said, Chip needs to be held accountable for his actions.

I just disagreed with the way it was initially handled.

It is pretty funny. lol

Chip needs to go.

As I said earlier, Chip's lack of communication and lack of performance is enough to indict him.

But if I saw a deal like that pop up somewhere online I'd have been all over it and figure out how to pay for it after the fact, thinking that I can make my money AND repay debts.

Maybe the fact that crassus, FineCollector and myself are all Canadian is the reason we agree? lol

You can be one of the lone descenting votes then. Keep sending him stuff for consignment. You make a long term investment in him then. Don't expect the boards to continue to do it.

This isn't kindergarten. We're all adults. He's an adult. He made his own bed. He can lay in it.

Chris,

Am I in the Twilight Zone?

Where did I say I was a dissenting vote?

I have repeatedly said that Chip needs to be held accountable for his actions.

Do you guys need me to roll up with my guillotine to make my point?

Chip needs to go.

The part that's missing is ignoring everyone he owed, for almost two months, and then making excuses of no job, no time to ship, no money to ship, plague, locusts, a flat tire, a terrible flood...it's not his fault...he swears to God!!!...and then still swooping in on a craigslist deal, even though he's got no time and no money to ship the items he's already been paid for.

Compare his lack of communication and excuses for it towards the people he already got money from with how quickly and eagerly he communicated when he thought he had a score for himself. That's about as bright a line as to how honest he's been as anything we've seen.

You probable shouldn't project what you'd do and how you'd handle this situation being that you're coming from this from a perspective of honesty and the craigslist situation demonstrates chip clearly is not. His motivations and reasons clearly aren't the same as yours.

I get your point. He needs to be in the HOS but just don't do personal attacks. I think many are just stating facts. The personal attacks are very few.

Chris,

Am I in the Twilight Zone?

Where did I say I was a dissenting vote?

I have repeatedly said that Chip needs to be held accountable for his actions.

Do you guys need me to roll up with my guillotine to make my point?

Your posts in this discussion have come across (to me) as continuing to defend Chip. Based on how others have responded, I don't think I'm alone. Maybe I am misinterpreting yours and others responses.

You are right, though, that you have said he should be accountable.

(And I knew I spelled dissenting wrong initially. Can't believe I did that! :tonofbricks:)

POV not sure if you're around but how does it work when the user themself asks to be added? Can we skip the process and just add him with the language "Chip Cataldo, added to HoS at his own request when it came about that he had defaulted on multiple deals after asking for a bailout by the boards."

POV not sure if you're around but how does it work when the user themself asks to be added? Can we skip the process and just add him with the language "Chip Cataldo, added to HoS at his own request when it came about that he had defaulted on multiple deals after asking for a bailout by the boards."

I'd be reluctant to go that route only because he might decide to take himself out of the HOS.

I just don't remember if the poll was supposed to go into CG or stay here. I remember we spoke about it going in CG for more views, but I'm not sure that ever actually happened before.

Polls were at one time for 3 days.

I'm packing to get back on a plane, so I'd prefer not posting it, since I won't be able to monitor it, but since Justin is writing something up, I'm sure he's got that covered.

The reason you need someone monitoring it, is I believe, that we agreed to keep it a blind poll as to not influence anyone.

If there are newer rules, feel free to correct me anyone.

I'm sure one of his enablers will be blasting you for this. If not here, then perhaps on wookiebuttplugs.net or whatever website they commiserate on.

Ricky lol

If you are referring to me, there is no enabling.

Coming from a history of mental illness, I thought the name calling and torch lighting was in poor taste.

I don't think anybody (including myself) denied that Chip should be held accountable for his actions.

I don't see any enabling. Do you?

Yes, I do think you're enabling his actions, both by sending him comics to sell at a time when he should be looking for a real job, and by defending his behavior. And by saying "I think he's wrong, but..." You most definitely are defending his actions.

I respect the fact that he's your friend, and that you choose to see the good in any situation, but how can you defend him looking to buy toys at a time when he's claiming that he's destitute? He should be looking for work, signing up for a class to learn some skills...Not looking to buy the limited edition Leia with camel toe action figure.

I guess the people that sent him checks should sit and spin while he uses their money to buy another bandaid for the bullet hole that is his life, because who could possibly pass up a deal like that?! Yuck. :facepalm:

As for his "mental illness", did he show you medical records? Or are you taking his word for it? Because speaking only for myself, his word means mess. I also have people in my life that suffer from mental illness, and I think it's disgusting that someone would toss that out there as an excuse to swindle people. I see what they go through, and what the people around them go through. You know as well as I do, there's a difference between clinical depression and "feeling depressed".

Poll at the bottom

:news: Chip Cataldo is hereby nominated for the Hall of Shame :news:

From his time here, as well as on other forums, Chip has shown a long history of preying on the sympathies of good-hearted people to either obtain something he wants or to avoid being called out and criticized for not fulfilling his obligations. He repeatedly posts statements of despair and all hope being lost to garner support and encouragement from people, while his actions show that in actuality his motive is purely for personal gain.

The following list are several examples that each go to basic honesty or trust issues and that, although some may seem irrelevant on their own, each is a layer to the tapestry of shame that is Chip Cataldo.

• Chip has had almost identical issues in the past on other forums.
    http://megomuseum.com/community/archive/index.php/t-2791.html
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1040006
    http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60460
    In this specific discussion specific discussion on the Mego Forum, it is discussed that this similar behavior has occurred over the past decade in Google Groups
    Google Groups Discussion revealing that Chip has had issues in online transactions dating as far back as 1998.
  • Chip claimed an offering in the Giving Tree thread. He offered up a follow up offer which wasn't up to par. Several members objected and Chip defiantly changed up the offer and claimed "I'm not changing it up again. This is good enough." It was brought up that in another thread he was boasting about a 2,300 book collection he had just acquired. Chip explained that those books were for financial gain and what he was offering was for the Boards. Chip was clearly looking out for his own personal gain while declaring he didn't have much to offer. Secretly, he had a lot more to offer than he let on. This is one small example of Chip's pattern of dishonesty and deception.
  • Chip then started a GoFundMe page eliciting donations for $15,000 originally claiming that this amount was needed to keep from being evicted. Additionally, he was able to get a Board Charity Thread created based on the sympathy he created. In reality, it was revealed that only approximately $3,000 was being used to pay off debts and the other $12,000 was going to be used to support him for several months and pay off a PayPal loan which he accrued by purchasing comics.
  • Recently, Chip was nominated for the Probation List after running a sales thread, obtaining the funds from several Board members, and then either declaring items would be shipped soon or ignoring request from buyers altogether. There were at least six individuals who paid and hadn't received anything. Upon his nomination, only then did Chip respond to buyers and attempt to avoid being added to the Probation List while ignoring the public nomination.
  • In that response he offered to be placed on the PL and / or HOS list. claiming he understood why.
  • Finally, when Chip publicly responded, he declared that he lost his job, suggesting that he had neither the money nor the time to ship items. However, he was simultaneously responding to a fake Craigslist ad attempting to purchase a Star Wars toy collection.

It occurred to me that no matter what transpires in the Chip Cataldo fiasco, there would always be those who would defend him. He has this issue or that issue and that's ok because we have to be kind and caring and exhibit all the political correctness one can handle.

It also occurred to me that his behavior isn't going to stop: a pattern that has emerged over many years and many internet forums. A pattern of someone, through their own poor choices, consistently find themselves in dire straits only to seek out the assistance from others. But the interesting part of this is that the pattern continues: wash, rinse, repeat. No knowledge that would benefit said party is used when he finds himself in the same situation. It's like "Hey...you guys bailed me out the last 15 times, what's another time, right?"

Knowing this and also realizing that the truth would never come out, I decided to conduct an experiment with the following hypothesis:

Chip's situation isn't nearly as bad as he lets on. He knows exactly what he's doing; he's actively on the boards/Facebook, etc and he's going to continue to bilk money and sympathy from anyone who's willing to enable him.

After consulting Buzzetta (for the record, we are good friends), I decided to dangle a carrot:

http://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/tag/5939743811.html

Some may say its deceitful; others that it was wrong. But I know how much he loves Star Wars toys. BUT...and here's the kicker: if his situation is so bad (no job, getting evicted for the second time, no way to support his dependents), then there's no way he would possibly be buying collections. If you take him at his word, he shouldn't have ANY extra money, right?

Well....as expected, I was wrong.

At 8:31 pm, I received the following:

iKIl9AM.png

YES Chip has time AND money to buy Star Wars collections. Not only that, it's the money that people here sent him for items that HAVE NOT been delivered. Items that were purchased in November. I believe etanick said his check was cashed on 11/15 and his PM from 12/6 was just read. JUST READ! That's over 45 days.

It's my opinion that Mr. Cataldo should be in the HoS. Like many, I was shocked that his gofundme attempt wasn't enough to push him into the Hall. I mean, he was literally asking the community to pay off his debts (which he accumulated) and pay his living expenses for a few months so he could "get his life together." Will someone do this for me?

Between the gofundme, the more recent lack of shipping/responding/basically stealing others money, his history on various Star Wars forums, I believe a HoS vote is in order.

If he has the means and ability to go out and buy toy collections, then he has the means and ability to settle all prior affairs.

The difference is: he doesn't want to and has repeatedly shown his true self and true colors.

We are the farmers. Chip is the snake. How many times must we be bitten to understand?!?!

Chip has proven the adage "actions speak louder than words". While he declares one thing publicly to garner sympathy from kind-hearted people, his actual ulterior motive is solely for personal gain. At this time, Chip is being nominated to the Hall of Shame.

Edited by Buzzetta