• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Buscema Conan 1 cover "recreation"

23 posts in this topic

It's back.

this was subject of a topic before, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post again - mebbe save some forumite from disappointment...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONAN-THE-BARBARIAN-1-ORIGINAL-COVER-ART-JOHN-BUSCEMA-VERY-RARE-RECREATION-/351945767935?hash=item51f19a3bff:g:bpAAAOSw5cNYKcZc

seller claims it's an authentic Buscema piece, but it looks wrong to my eyes.

s-l500_zpst0l9u1ar.jpg

s-l500%201_zpsflurdrdx.jpg

Is there even a signature anywhere?

I don't see signature, but even if there was and the (highly debatable) "story" was shown to be reasonably okay, there's a position I take on things like this that some others do also It may be instructive for me to mention it again for those newer collectors or those that may not have considered this angle before: If it's "ugly", even if "by Superstar X", why would you want it ("ugly") for your collection? Why would you pay anything more than salvage price, even for a quick flip?

Wanna collect signatures? There are much less-expensive ways to do that.

If Picasso coughed into a napkin and signed it...even with phenomenal provenance and video documentation of the act of creation (ugh), still...it's decaying organic matter (phlegm) on non-archival paper (napkin) with a dash of signatory-flourish. So maybe $25 tops. For a flip to $50. Ya know?

If Picasso coughed into a napkin and signed it...even with phenomenal provenance and video documentation of the act of creation (ugh), still...it's decaying organic matter (phlegm) on non-archival paper (napkin) with a dash of signatory-flourish. So maybe $25 tops. For a flip to $50. Ya know?

Oh, I dunno, canned artist turds did very well . . .

so he claims that it is a lightboxed piece that was done during the SDCC. Hmmm.

Look above and below the hand. There is both "Smith" and "JV" (hence the John Vuscema comment). Fan art, most likely . If it was intended to deceive it wouldn't have the JV signature

Look above and below the hand. There is both "Smith" and "JV" (hence the John Vuscema comment). Fan art, most likely . If it was intended to deceive it wouldn't have the JV signature

yeah, I saw the smith.. My questions was more to "why John Buscema?" but I was unclear. It doesn't matter actually and draws attention from the simple fact that this is bad art.

The JV is on the original cover. Verpoorten was the inker over Smith pencils on the cover.

yeah, I saw the smith.. My questions was more to "why John Buscema?" but I was unclear. It doesn't matter actually and draws attention from the simple fact that this is bad art.

My guess is that the seller doesn't know that Buscema didn't do the early books.

The seller references Buscema as "the series artist" and is likely unaware of the early contributions by Barry Smith.

This seller doesn't strike me as very knowledgeable about comic art, evidenced by this attempt to pass the art off as Buscema. (And I'm not inferring that he doesn't know this is a fake - given his made-up story).

My guess is that the seller doesn't know that Buscema didn't do the early books.

The seller references Buscema as "the series artist" and is likely unaware of the early contributions by Barry Smith.

This seller doesn't strike me as very knowledgeable about comic art, evidenced by this attempt to pass the art off as Buscema. (And I'm not inferring that he doesn't know this is a fake - given his made-up story).

He has been emailed many time that it was not drawn by Buscema and it a bad copy of BWS art. He is just trying to screw over some poor sap.

looks like a John Vuscema to me :eyeroll:

A few curly kneecaps and we could almost be in Fred Hembeck territory . . .

Terry, you've just provided me with my favorite online response in recent memory. Happy New Year!

looks like a John Vuscema to me :eyeroll:

Actually when you look at what a piece of garbage this piece is, Im pretty sure the "J.V." stands for Junior Varsity.