• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John G. Fantucchio pedigree
3 3

284 posts in this topic

Good point, time = money and estate sales are usually very anxious for the quick turnaround.

Without naming names, I remember a prominent dealer bringing a newly slabbed collection to a convention, all unpressed, but priced at full Market. The feeding frenzy from other dealers was so great they drew numbers for rights to pick first in a box of their choice. Everyone was happy. The dealer got his money up front, before the convention even opened, and the dealers were resubbing onsite !

Why not name names? It wasn't a secret when it happened and was talked about quite a bit here (shrug)

It was Dave Kapelka.

North Coast Nostalgia ? ................ yeah, an Auction house's cut could fund quite a few cash advances for more consignments.....their share could double or triple during the time a large collection of books made it through the pressing pipeline. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You're too quick :D

(thumbs u

Good point, time = money and estate sales are usually very anxious for the quick turnaround.

Without naming names, I remember a prominent dealer bringing a newly slabbed collection to a convention, all unpressed, but priced at full Market. The feeding frenzy from other dealers was so great they drew numbers for rights to pick first in a box of their choice. Everyone was happy. The dealer got his money up front, before the convention even opened, and the dealers were resubbing onsite !

Why not name names? It wasn't a secret when it happened and was talked about quite a bit here (shrug)

You know, you are right, but lately I feel like I am walking on eggshells around here. There is so much trolling going on with the Boards lately, lots of nastiness too. Just playing it cautious. BTW, Dave Kapelka is a great guy ! (thumbs u

You know, you are right, but lately I feel like I am walking on eggshells around here. There is so much trolling going on with the Boards lately, lots of nastiness too. Just playing it cautious. BTW, Dave Kapelka is a great guy ! (thumbs u

He's one of the true gentlemen of the hobby, that's for sure.

He's one of the true gentlemen of the hobby, that's for sure.

Very true. And Dave seems to do a great job finding sweet collections and has for as long as I've been paying attention.

When I've been lucky enough to make it into conventions before the general public, I've seen other dealers swarming around his booth many times. It can get pretty messy from what I understand.

Since we have the majority of books shown so far not really displaying shrunken cover syndrome, it's unfair IMO to cherry pick certain books to suit your point, especially when it's possible that there are other possible reasons for the differences.

These are enlargements of the upper right corners of the books you showed, with the template at the far left.

167128.jpg.2147d096b3aa92670ea78d048b14e5d5.jpg

My guess is that any books from this pedigree that had pressable defects were pressed, the others perhaps left alone -- but I probably couldn't tell you which were which given the scans alone. Now that pressing is an "accepted" and encouraged form of restoration, why wouldn't books with pressable defects in a collection like this get the once-over? It makes no sense that they wouldn't since there's zero disincentive to pressing unless you fear that a bad press job would somehow damage the book or its QP.

Dan

:applause:

Well said. CLINK would be doing the sellers a huge disservice by not recommending going that route.

Not necessarily. See my post above. IMO, you press the high end stuff and leave the 'ordinary' stuff with potential. Leaving some potential will increase prices. It's really the smarter play.

I am not sure I agree. You maximize the grade on everything that is over a certain dollar amount which could mean you press or not depending on the assessment of the potential to increase the grade. The PT crowd will still swarm as they don't know what has been done to what book and at some level it doesn't matter because a book can and does get pressed multiple times.

A good auction house should set as a goal to get the maximum return for its clients in the shortest amount of time which means press what can be potentially improved.

Since we have the majority of books shown so far not really displaying shrunken cover syndrome, it's unfair IMO to cherry pick certain books to suit your point, especially when it's possible that there are other possible reasons for the differences.

These are enlargements of the upper right corners of the books you showed, with the template at the far left.

I wish I knew what goes on that causes that effect. In the early days of pressing, I didn't see it. Now, it's like all the time. (shrug)

My guess is that any books from this pedigree that had pressable defects were pressed, the others perhaps left alone -- but I probably couldn't tell you which were which given the scans alone. Now that pressing is an "accepted" and encouraged form of restoration, why wouldn't books with pressable defects in a collection like this get the once-over? It makes no sense that they wouldn't since there's zero disincentive to pressing unless you fear that a bad press job would somehow damage the book or its QP.

Dan

Well said. CLINK would be doing the sellers a huge disservice by not recommending going that route.

Not necessarily. See my post above. IMO, you press the high end stuff and leave the 'ordinary' stuff with potential. Leaving some potential will increase prices. It's really the smarter play.

I am not sure I agree. You maximize the grade on everything that is over a certain dollar amount which could mean you press or not depending on the assessment of the potential to increase the grade.

I think you are actually agreeing with me. I said press the high end stuff, you said press everything over a certain dollar amount, same thing. (shrug)

Dan

I am not sure I agree. You maximize the grade on everything that is over a certain dollar amount which could mean you press or not depending on the assessment of the potential to increase the grade.

I think you are actually agreeing with me. I said press the high end stuff, you said press everything over a certain dollar amount, same thing. (shrug)

I would go down to stuff that would sell for $200 or so myself. Not sure if that maps to your definition of high end.

edited: I also imagine there would be some stuff they won't get graded but just a guess.

Edited by batman_fan

I read somewhere that there were something like 20,000 comics in the collection (although the pre-SA books were bought second-hand). There are 50 books listed for auction so far. So it's safe to say 'yes'.

Dan

Maybe, but I'm not sure I would rely on bidders being able to detect pressable defects from CLink's scans.

Think there will be any humor/ oddball titles or just super-heroes?

If so, I would guess we will have to wait awhile before we see them.

I asked Josh that very same question. He said "yes". I didn't ask when we might see them. Based on how ComicLink rolled out the Rocky Mountain collection, I suspect it might take some time.

It seems pressing is still a hot topic :) nice to see familiar names on the board. Hi Bob, Roy, Greggy and the rest of the gang! Happy new year to all. It's nice to see another new pedigree coming into the hobby. Hope all is well with your collection.

Benz

Don't have a dog in this fight as I'm unlikely to win any of these pedigree books however I was surfing ebay and randomly came across the book below. It is being sold as a raw VF, doubtful this goes much over $50. Funny thing is it looks exactly like what is being represented in this thread as a pressed book. Anyone really think this FF is pressed? hm

ff57_zpssbb6kad6.jpg

I read somewhere that there were something like 20,000 comics in the collection (although the pre-SA books were bought second-hand). There are 50 books listed for auction so far. So it's safe to say 'yes'.

Hmm wonder if the GA books will still get the pedigree tag...