• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Nazi Cover
2 2

68 posts in this topic

Yes! That is the one I was remembering. Thanks.

Yeah, I started that thread thinking it was Amazing Man 9, but I think there's a very strong consensus that it's actually Top-Notch 2.

Yes! That is the one I was remembering. Thanks.

Yeah, I started that thread thinking it was Amazing Man 9, but I think there's a very strong consensus that it's actually Top-Notch 2.

I wonder. Amazing Man 9 is actually a story about Nazi Germany. The Other comics are about a fictitious country with a Swastika on their planes. hm

By the way, airplanes on the cover of Marvel Mystery 2 have the Balkenkreuz which is a symbol of the Wehrmacht and it was used in WWI as well as WWII. The Swastika was a symbol of the party and became the national flag from 1933-1945 more or less.

d727e345-b7b4-4433-8825-c2289e267c89_zpsgga4uwyr.jpg

c61b2592-1dc9-4c2e-8424-7af5d785ee4f_zps4j5eyqqu.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I think it was confirmed Top Notch 2 was the winner with Amazing Man 9 running a close second

I'm standing by Marvel Mystery #2 as being the first anti-nazi cover based on incontrovertible evidence of the Angel's text story. I'll concede that Top-Notch #2 has the first swastika cover.

The fact that the Charles Mazoujian failed to accurately depict a swastika on the blitz bombers was either an intentional misdirection or an editorial decision to sidestep controversy. Subtlety doesn't lessen the impact of the image or intent of the publisher to join the growing U.S. resistance to fascism threatening to overrun Europe. 2c

By the way, airplanes on the cover of Marvel Mystery 2 have the Balkenkreuz which is a symbol of the Wehrmacht and it was used in WWI as well as WWII. The Swastika was a symbol of the party and became the national flag from 1933-1945 more or less.

Thank you, BB-Gun, you're a scholar and a gentleman. (thumbs u

The art posted in the first thread shows that the plane did not have the Balkenkreuz on the wing. It is the same symbol that is on the tail on the plane. I was remembering these debates and it's why I wanted to find the thread.

I think it was confirmed Top Notch 2 was the winner with Amazing Man 9 running a close second

I'm standing by Marvel Mystery #2 as being the first anti-nazi cover based on incontrovertible evidence of the Angel's text story. I'll concede that Top-Notch #2 has the first swastika cover.

The fact that the Charles Mazoujian failed to accurately depict a swastika on the blitz bombers was either an intentional misdirection or an editorial decision to sidestep controversy. Subtlety doesn't lessen the impact of the image or intent of the publisher to join the growing U.S. resistance to fascism threatening to overrun Europe. 2c

Thank you, BB-Gun, you're a scholar and a gentleman. (thumbs u

Thanks DM (and sorry I forgot to mention that the scans I reposted were yours).

By the way, Amazing Man 8 (Dec 1939) is also a WWII cover. Amazing Man is trapped in a Nazi concentration camp in Poland. Arm bands and swastikas can be found in the story. Unfortunately, no symbols on the cover. The stories carry more impact based on real world events than the mythical characters used by MLJ and DC writers.

32000312016_d9bc538c1f_b.jpg

This story was published before Top-Notch 2 which was dated Jan 1940.

Edited by BB-Gun

The art posted in the first thread shows that the plane did not have the Balkenkreuz on the wing. It is the same symbol that is on the tail on the plane. I was remembering these debates and it's why I wanted to find the thread.

The text inside does not show a plane with the Balkenkreuz but the text talks about the attack in Poland and the pilots speak German. The cover still looks like a portion of the Balkenkreuz which you do not have to believe.

31922429881_de22c764a9_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

32001344486_f6cb297268_b.jpg

You can see Amazing Man catching a shell from German artillery and tanks with swastikas. More Gestapo with armbands pictured in early parts of the story. From Dec 1939 issue...

32000312016_d9bc538c1f.jpg

Note that the word Nazis is listed in the text of the A-Man story and the men on the battlefield are French and wearing French helmets.

Edited by BB-Gun

I guess it seems like a subtle difference between some of these books. MM 2 and Amazing Man 8 and 9 have stories about the war in Poland but no swastikas on the cover. Top Notch 2 has a story about the war in Alaska (Sybernian attack). "De Vizard" didn't deal with the Mosconians (who had swastikas on their planes) until a story in Top Notch 6. (The language may sound like German but isn't.)

OK, is it really a Nazi plane if it has a swastika on it?

After I purchased Captain America 15, someone said it wasn't a robot cover because the story says that they were men in robot uniforms.

Edited by BB-Gun

The art posted in the first thread shows that the plane did not have the Balkenkreuz on the wing. It is the same symbol that is on the tail on the plane.

Correct - clearly the cover to Marvel Mystery 2 is not a candidate.

The art posted in the first thread shows that the plane did not have the Balkenkreuz on the wing. It is the same symbol that is on the tail on the plane.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> hm

The point is that whether by editorial intent or mistake, the unspecified symbols on planes blitz bombing the city still make this an anti-Axis war cover, ...swastika or Balkenkreuz notwithstanding. The Angel text story, also illustrated by Charles Mazoujian, bears this out. MM #2 came out prior to Top Notch, that's also indisputable. That keeps Marvel Mystery in the running for first WWII cover sweepstakes. Of course, that's just my opinion informed by the evidence so far presented, other's mileage, etc., etc.

If he seeks the first swastika cover, the Jan. '40 Top Notch appears to be at the head of the class, but the first anti-Axis war cover featuring a costumed hero would appear to be MM #2. For the first super-powered warrior combating Axis soldiers, that's apparently Amazing Man #9. The latter two are dated from Dec. '39 (statistically a tie). If there are other anti-Axis war covers or swastika covers that've been overlooked, I'm sure someone will alert us.

Side note: Amazing Man #8 (Oct.) features a large hand gripping a submarine of unspecific nationality. That could be considered a war cover, but the lack of any defining elements presents a gray area.

PS: I have no dog in this hunt as I'm not trying to sell my MM #2.

The point is that whether by editorial intent or mistake, the unspecified symbols on planes blitz bombing the city still make this an anti-Axis war cover, ...swastika or Balkenkreuz notwithstanding. The Angel text story, also illustrated by Charles Mazoujian, bears this out. MM #2 came out prior to Top Notch, that's also indisputable. That keeps Marvel Mystery in the running for first WWII cover sweepstakes. Of course, that's just my opinion informed by the evidence so far presented, other's mileage, etc., etc.

If he seeks the first swastika cover, the Jan. '40 Top Notch appears to be at the head of the class, but the first anti-Axis war cover featuring a costumed hero would appear to be MM #2. For the first super-powered warrior combating Axis soldiers, that's apparently Amazing Man #9. The latter two are dated from Dec. '39 (statistically a tie). If there are other anti-Axis war covers or swastika covers that've been overlooked, I'm sure someone will alert us.

Side note: Amazing Man #8 (Oct.) features a large hand gripping a submarine of unspecific nationality. That could be considered a war cover, but the lack of any defining elements presents a gray area.

Generally agree with this, but some of the Amazing Man #s you mention got mixed up!

The October issue with the hand/sub is #6 (not #8), and the Dec issue with the war story is #8 (not #9, which also has a war cover/story continuing from #8). (thumbs u

Generally agree with this, but some of the Amazing Man #s you mention got mixed up!

The October issue with the hand/sub is #6 (not #8), and the Dec issue with the war story is #8 (not #9, which also has a war cover/story continuing from #8). (thumbs u

Correct you are!

Somehow messed up typing in the numbers on those two AM's after examining both books. doh!

I love this subject! So for discussion's sake, the first Timely comic to have a swastica on the cover is Marvel Mystery Comics #4. It hit the stands December 20th 1939. One of my favorite books!

32026652566_61fd90955d_b.jpg

The point is that whether by editorial intent or mistake, the unspecified symbols on planes blitz bombing the city still make this an anti-Axis war cover, ...swastika or Balkenkreuz notwithstanding.

No - not sure how many times this has to be re-hashed, but intent is irrelevant. Speculation is irrelevant. What actually is remains the salient factor.

Is a woman pregnant or is she not pregnant? Is MMC 2 an Axis cover or is it not an Axis cover?

MMC 2 is not an Axis cover.