• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book missing one staple
1 1

30 posts in this topic

The top staple was not put on this book.

There are no holes so it was not removed.

Can this get a blue label or will it get a green?

k2zae8.jpg

169pwmh.jpg

Maybe they were cutting costs on this issue lol

m6HouWm.jpg

Very interesting that we already have 3 copies of issue 45 with just one staple.

Three of the same books with the same staple missing says bad QC after a print run. Either that or the printer didn't feel like eating the cost so shipped them anyway. I would think they would treat it the same as folds etc. (blue label)

Edited by comicquant

When the presses are moving quickly you can have a ton of books go through with a defect before someone notices, stops, reloads and restarts.

I'm guessing that missing one staple wasn't too big of a deal for a 'throw away' mag as technically it was still readable with one staple.

If it was missing both staples they'd probably run them through the run again to have the covers attached.

Manufactured with one staple is not that rare and does not affect grade. Book will always get a blue label if there is no other resto of course. Also, books with 4 staples also get a blue label. By this I mean there are 2 staples in the interior and then 2 staples putting the cover onto the book. These were remainder copies that the company needed copies to fill orders. They would take the best reject interiors/covers and "marry" them to make sure orders were filled.

When a book has one staple, you have to watch for tearing with that staple as its the only thing holding the cover to the interior and has a tendency of being a little unstable.

Edited by Philflound

Your description states your centerfold is detached. I'm assuming there are no staple holes for that one staple. Normally this would downgrade the book being detached, but may not be the case. Not sure how it would be handled as a manufacturing error, possibly getting a blue label without downgrading. That is as long as the graders believe it is original to the book. Maybe you should send an email to customer service asking the question.

On 1/22/2017 at 12:13 AM, Philflound said:

Manufactured with one staple is not that rare and does not affect grade. Book will always get a blue label if there is no other resto of course. Also, books with 4 staples also get a blue label. By this I mean there are 2 staples in the interior and then 2 staples putting the cover onto the book. These were remainder copies that the company needed copies to fill orders. They would take the best reject interiors/covers and "marry" them to make sure orders were filled.

When a book has one staple, you have to watch for tearing with that staple as its the only thing holding the cover to the interior and has a tendency of being a little unstable.

I think this thread just answered my question on another thread.