Page 92 of 93 « First<8990919293>
Topic Options
#9478595 - 07/27/16 01:05 PM Re: Conan Comics [Re: Brian48]
SuperBird Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Call me nuts but my favorite Conan is from Isherwood/ Semeiks.

WTB : Action Comics 23, 29, 31, 37, 38, 44, 46, 49, 50, 51, 52, 57 mid to low grade unrestored CGC

#9478596 - 07/27/16 01:05 PM Re: Conan Comics [Re: Brian48]
Unca Ben Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: California
 Originally Posted By: Brian48
BWS's stuff was best when he did his own inking (and coloring when needed), where as I don't recall Buscema ever inking his own artwork. This obviously made Big John's art very dependent on whomever was his collaborator.

When paired with an able inker like Ernie Chan or Alfredo Alcala, Buscema's work was great. Anyone else, it was just serviceable in my opinion.

By the way, if no one has ever read it, I think this is Buscema's finest work on Conan (with help from Alcala and Marie Severin). "Black Vulmea's Vengeance (Revenge of the Barbarian)" which appeared in Marvel Super Special #2 (a key Conan book in my opinion).

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2008/12/stocking-stuffer-marvel-super-special-2.html

The entire issue is posted online if you want read it or just look at the artwork.

John Buscema did ink his own work in some issues of the Avengers, Conan the Barbarian & Savage Sword.

edit: & Tarzan.

Edited by Unca Ben (07/27/16 01:08 PM)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
"Before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself."
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
"It's not okay to hate anybody."
"Bad language is a stage all children go through, and it dies with time when they learn they're not attracting attention with it."
-Atticus Finch

#9478607 - 07/27/16 01:11 PM Re: Conan Comics [Re: Unca Ben]
Logan510 Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Chicago, IL
I think my favorite Marvel Conan artist is Neal Adams. He didn't do much, but what he did was awesome.

#9478653 - 07/27/16 01:33 PM Re: Conan Comics [Re: Logan510]
Brian48 Offline
If you have a dream about out-posting me, you better wake up and apologize.

Loc: People's Republic of Boston, M...
Well, for me, Adams does hold the title of best cover in both Savage Tales and SSOC in my opinion. This would be issue 4 and 2 respectively. His inking job to Gil Kane's pencils in ST #4 is great too, one of the best Conan stories published by Marvel.

It's too bad Adams came off the main title so soon and abrupt. In one of his interviews, I take it he was planning some sort of multi-issue epic, but it never materialized and he was off on something else. Issue 37 is a beautiful book to look at, but the story is mind-numbingly bad.
Yeah, I sort of like early Bronze Age Bats. And by Crom, Conan doesn't get the loving he deserves these days.

#9481561 - 07/29/16 07:10 AM Re: Conan Comics [Re: SuperBird]
KEY ISSUES Comics Offline
FACT if I stop posting, trillions and trillions of transistors would be out of work.

Loc: Staying In Canada
 Originally Posted By: SuperBird
Call me nuts but my favorite Conan is from Isherwood/ Semeiks.

I loved it too. And I'm quite in love with the Isherwood Black Dragons arc on Conan the King.

Looking for:
FF#1 CGC blue label 3.5 or lower, HULK #1 CGC blue label 3.5 or lower, Crime Suspenstories #22 (nice FC eye-appeal), DETECTIVE COMICS #408 CGC 9.0 or higher, SCHOMBURG good girl cover issues, STARTLING COMICS #49 CGC blue label 3.0-5.0, cool GA MARY MARVEL cover issues.
That's it! It's nice having a short want list!!!

Follow on Instagram

#9481725 - 07/29/16 10:18 AM Re: Conan Comics [Re: Brian48]
HouseofComics.Com Offline
TOTAL NEWBIE

Loc: Berkeley, CA
God yes. I have posted on the boards before that Marvel Super Special #2 is totally overlooked. I may have reread this one more than any other comic in my childhood collection.

By the way, if no one has ever read it, I think this is Buscema's finest work on Conan (with help from Alcala and Marie Severin). "Black Vulmea's Vengeance (Revenge of the Barbarian)" which appeared in Marvel Super Special #2 (a key Conan book in my opinion).

http://diversionsofthegroovykind.blogspot.com/2008/12/stocking-stuffer-marvel-super-special-2.html

The entire issue is posted online if you want read it or just look at the artwork.
Forum discounts on most comics from the last 40-50 years.

#9510377 - 08/15/16 08:42 AM Re: Conan Comics [Re: HouseofComics.Com]
Brian48 Offline

Cool. Another excuse to bump up thread.

Wasn't looking for another copy as I already have 2 very nice raw copies and a sweet 9.6 WP, but for $5, I couldn't say no. Except for the color breaking crease towards the bottom right corner, this is actually a very nice copy.

Found it in a box of low grade BA drek. I take it whomever bagged it, had no idea what COD 4 was all about.

Yeah, I sort of like early Bronze Age Bats. And by Crom, Conan doesn't get the loving he deserves these days.

#9510387 - 08/15/16 08:53 AM Re: Conan Comics [Re: Brian48]
Cheesefrog Offline

Loc: Austin , TX
That's awesome \:\)

#9717560 - 12/27/16 12:54 PM Re: Conan Comics [Re: Cheesefrog]
Brian48 Offline

Not really into the McFarlanes, but got these cheap.

#9717718 - 12/27/16 02:20 PM Re: Conan Comics [Re: Brian48]
Chadwick Offline
Chatzilla

Loc: Canada eh
Cool. Another excuse to bump up thread.

Wasn't looking for another copy as I already have 2 very nice raw copies and a sweet 9.6 WP, but for $5, I couldn't say no. Except for the color breaking crease towards the bottom right corner, this is actually a very nice copy.

Found it in a box of low grade BA drek. I take it whomever bagged it, had no idea what COD 4 was all about.

Love finds like this!
I still need a copy, wanna double your investment real quick? lol

Page 92 of 93 « First<8990919293>

Moderator:  Gemma, plitch, cgcmod3-migration, Harshen, scaffrey, cgcmod5, cgcmod4, cgcmod7, CCGmod0, cgcmod8, Bree, cgcmod9, Matt Nelson, cgcmod11, cgcmod12, PaulS., ccgmod1, ccgmod2-migration 
Hop to:
Boards Information
Please read the
TERMS OF USE - BOARD GUIDELINES
for the rules of moderation on the boards.

Use Google to Search the Boards

The Money Marketplace
Comics Marketplace
Advertisements

Generated in 0.032 seconds in which 0.021 seconds were spent on a total of 14 queries. Zlib compression enabled.

IDW Publishing