• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John G. Fantucchio pedigree
3 3

284 posts in this topic

I wonder if this pedigree is getting pressed prior to grading.

Why would you wonder that?

Why not? The minute some are pressed and some are not, the uniformity of the pedigree is no longer the same.

I'm no longer anti pressing but it's a pretty valid thought.

Jim

It was just that. A thought. I was thinking out loud. Inquiringly minds like to know if every oz of potential profit is getting squeezed out of the collection before hand.

I'm going to bid on that book in an amount I KNOW it's not going to sell at just to feel like I'm in the "IT" crowd. lol!

But I'm hoping his family had some Jungle Action comics.

Edited by 1ForChrist

meh.

I think if they didnt have the "John Fantucchio was one of the most prominent artists during the early days of comic fandom. He created hundreds of covers and illustrations for fanzines such as... " angle (which helps in promotion) this woudn't be considered a pedigree.

I'll be curious to see how grand this pedigree is, and whether it's just a promotional tool since it's been a while since CGC got to certify a new pedigree.

Just look at the ASM2 (9.0) that's front and center in their promotion...

that's 9.0

Lower grade than Twin Cities ped, lower than the Mass ped and lower than the Northland copy.

At 9.0 the Fantu copy is one of 23 in grade with 26 copies in higher grade.

it's great sure, but not "exceptional" neither in condition or rarity...

I dont think these will go for any sort of premium except for the keys (maybe) or for copies where it happens to be the highest grade

again. meh.

Some of the earliest Pacific Coast books might have gotten a "meh" reaction from you too. Some of the earliest books were 8.0s, 8.5s, and the AF #15 was a 6.5. I think that pedigree is still well regarded in the collecting community.

I don't know how the rest of the collection will stack up with some other nice Silver Age pedigrees. But I think it's off to a pretty solid start.

Let`s wait and see. If it really is near complete for Marvel and DC from the beginning of the Marvel era (and hopefully earlier), then it would seem to definitely tick the depth and breadth box.

Then we just need to see how it does on quality. My guess is that it will follow the typical "curve" of so many collections, meaning below NM for the earlier books and major keys, then ultra-HG for 1964 and onwards. This doesn`t necessarily disqualify a collection from being an elite pedigree, as we`ve seen with the Pacific Coasts.

Regarding the question if these books have been pressed. IMO, it's very apparent the answer is yes. Anybody remember the Cole Shave discussions ? Here is a template that was published during that discussion showing the format of those uber pressed books. Though a bit more 'tempered' this new pedigree displays the same characteristics. Look at the upper right corner and the way the pages fan out.

JIM96facejob_zps0dcf712b.png

1197716002.jpg

1eff8ec8-cda1-4df8-9760-33281494b2dd.jpg

I don't care if they're pressed,because they are, so who cares.

I do care if the following are in 9.8 white in this collection:

Fantastic Four 116

Fantastic Four 117

Fantastic Four 119

Fantastic Four 120

Fantastic Four 124

Fantastic Four 128

Fantastic Four 129

Fantastic Four 130

Fantastic Four 136

Fantastic Four 147

Fantastic Four 153

Fantastic Four 164

Fantastic Four 179

Fantastic Four 184

This is also a plug - if anyone has these in 9.8/W you should ping me.

I don't care if they're pressed,because they are, so who cares.

I do care if the following are in 9.8 white in this collection:

Fantastic Four 116

Fantastic Four 117

Fantastic Four 119

Fantastic Four 120

Fantastic Four 124

Fantastic Four 128

Fantastic Four 129

Fantastic Four 130

Fantastic Four 136

Fantastic Four 147

Fantastic Four 153

Fantastic Four 164

Fantastic Four 179

Fantastic Four 184

This is also a plug - if anyone has these in 9.8/W you should ping me.

...I'm surprised they're so elusive..... my friends and I were usually snagging 2 copies each of our favorites back then..... but they were spinner books.... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

How many other collections are out there that we don't know about???!!

If you are referring specifically to SA Marvels, I would have to say that there must be several more out there since they were so popular and highly collected even back then. Especially since these collectors or LCS owners are probably just approaching retirement age in the coming years.

For example, doesn't Joe Krolik still have his top SA Marvel collection intact after letting his undercopy set go which turned into the Winnipeg pedigree collection? hm

How many other collections are out there that we don't know about???!!

If you are referring specifically to SA Marvels, I would have to say that there must be several more out there since they were so popular and highly collected even back then. Especially since these collectors or LCS owners are probably just approaching retirement age in the coming years.

For example, doesn't Joe Krolik still have his top SA Marvel collection intact after letting his undercopy set go which turned into the Winnipeg pedigree collection? hm

I bought a huge collection last November that had 9.4 white paged early Marvels in it after slabbing, so they're out there.

Lovely pedigree, although not uniform in NM...I wonder where ASM #1 is if that title is indeed in the February auction? Maybe it will show up over time.

Dan

That was also one of my first thoughts on the ASM portion of this collection.

In order to be a SA pedigree, would it not have to have the keys in there such as AF 15 and ASM 1? Wonder if both of these books are being held back for now in order to drive up their prices by releasing the "lesser" non-keys first? (shrug)

Lovely pedigree, although not uniform in NM...I wonder where ASM #1 is if that title is indeed in the February auction? Maybe it will show up over time.

Dan

That was also one of my first thoughts on the ASM portion of this collection.

In order to be a SA pedigree, would it not have to have the keys in there such as AF 15 and ASM 1? Wonder if both of these books are being held back for now in order to drive up their prices by releasing the "lesser" non-keys first? (shrug)

I'd say either they will do a test run and see how the ASM books will do on Feb or those two books will be posted up later during the new year. I'm pretty sure the collection contains those two mega keys. Would be hard pressed if it didn't.

It also costs a small fortune to have thousands of books slabbed (and pressed). Perhaps the sale of the first batch of books will provide the funds to pay for the slabbing (and pressing) of many, many more.

+1

And why would you not fully expect that? hm

After all, this is now 2016 and almost going into 2017. :gossip:

It's not like it's the year 2000 in the days of wine and roses and virgin like sweet innocence where this collecting world of ours was supposedly being populated with untouched properly graded books. :devil:doh!

+1

It's not like it's the year 2000 in the days of wine and roses and virgin like sweet innocence where this collecting world of ours was supposedly being populated with untouched properly graded books. :devil:doh!

so I should expect 100% of this collection to be pressed, just the higher graded stuff, or just books that need it. I'm thinking that the has to be books that won't benefit and would be otherwise a waste of time and money to do so. Kinda counter productive, but hey pressem all.

+1

so I should expect 100% of this collection to be pressed, just the higher graded stuff, or just books that need it. I'm thinking that the has to be books that won't benefit and would be otherwise a waste of time and money to do so. Kinda counter productive, but hey pressem all.

You should expect every book that is getting sold in a slab to have been pressed. There's no reason not to.

meh.

I think if they didnt have the "John Fantucchio was one of the most prominent artists during the early days of comic fandom. He created hundreds of covers and illustrations for fanzines such as... " angle (which helps in promotion) this woudn't be considered a pedigree.

I'll be curious to see how grand this pedigree is, and whether it's just a promotional tool since it's been a while since CGC got to certify a new pedigree.

Just look at the ASM2 (9.0) that's front and center in their promotion...

that's 9.0

Lower grade than Twin Cities ped, lower than the Mass ped and lower than the Northland copy.

At 9.0 the Fantu copy is one of 23 in grade with 26 copies in higher grade.

it's great sure, but not "exceptional" neither in condition or rarity...

I dont think these will go for any sort of premium except for the keys (maybe) or for copies where it happens to be the highest grade

again. meh.

I mean, I get what you're saying and all but this is too much of a blanket statement before we see the full catalogue. We just don't know (yet) the quality of books save for a handful.

It looks awesome to me and I don't doubt there will plenty of uber high grades for quality books. At the end of the day, not every pedigree will be created equally anyways.

+1

Yes, definitely too early to say whether this collection truly deserves pedigree status or not. It will be interesting to see what the mega keys and early DC's hold in terms of both quantity and quality as Marvels are just so much easier to come by. hm

Based upon these 49 books being shown here so far, the average grade works out to only a 8.9 with a range running from CGC 6.5 through to CGC 9.8. Definitely nice since virtually all of them have the coveted White Pages designation, but not really pedigree worthy so far from a SA Marvel point of view. (shrug)

Now, an average CGC grade of 8.9 would definitely be pedigree worthy for a GA collection with the keys in there, but not so much so far for SA Marvel without the keys. I guess we will just have to wait and see what else surfaces from this supposedly pedigree collection here. :taptaptap:

It also costs a small fortune to have thousands of books slabbed (and pressed). Perhaps the sale of the first batch of books will provide the funds to pay for the slabbing (and pressing) of many, many more.

Highly doubt if the consignors would have to worry about paying for any of the slabbing and pressing fees at this stage of the process. :gossip:

I believe if you are consigning books to a reputable auction house for sale, they will pay for these fees upfront for you and simply take it off your proceeds in the end, along with their own auction fees. (thumbs u

I would think that one of the terms of the sellers when they agreed to consign the collection to Comiclink would be that Comiclink has to front the money for slabbing, at zero interest.

Regarding the question if these books have been pressed. IMO, it's very apparent the answer is yes. Anybody remember the Cole Shave discussions ? Here is a template that was published during that discussion showing the format of those uber pressed books. Though a bit more 'tempered' this new pedigree displays the same characteristics. Look at the upper right corner and the way the pages fan out.

1197716002.jpg

Bob,

a) there is no way those two examples look similar - they are like night and day

b) it is entirely possible for an unpressed book to look like that ASM #10 9.8 - you of all people should know this, being a Silver Age collector.

1197716002.jpg

Bob,

a) there is no way those two examples look similar - they are like night and day

b) it is entirely possible for an unpressed book to look like that ASM #10 9.8 - you of all people should know this, being a Silver Age collector.

the vast majority of these books will be unpressed; Santa Claus is real