• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Next HA Auction !
4 4

386 posts in this topic

Wow, love the Avengers 3 page! Any hammer predictions on this?

I'm surprised to see two Kirby pieces in the auction previews in light of what is going on behind the scenes with the Kirby estate and the prominent lawyer they hired. :fear:

I'm surprised to see two Kirby pieces in the auction previews in light of what is going on behind the scenes with the Kirby estate and the prominent lawyer they hired. :fear:

Tell us more :popcorn:

Tell us more :popcorn:

From what I know Kirby Estate/Marvel going after 10% of all the money they made off Kirby stuff.

I heard Comiclink paid up (which is why maybe no Kirby art in the last auction?) and Heritage is fighting it.

Something like that.. if someone knows more please add :)

From what I know Kirby Estate/Marvel going after 10% of all the money they made off Kirby stuff.

I heard Comiclink paid up (which is why maybe no Kirby art in the last auction?) and Heritage is fighting it.

Is that only on Marvel art, that was never returned to the family? Why would they be entitled to any money from a current sale?

Is that only on Marvel art, that was never returned to the family? Why would they be entitled to any money from a current sale?

Is this somehow related to the California Resale Royalty Act? Shouldn't be. That "act" requires sellers to pay five percent (not ten) of the resale price to the artist (or heir), and I thought the seller had to be based in CA at the time of the sale...although I'm not positive about the last bit.

Is this somehow related to the California Resale Royalty Act? Shouldn't be. That "act" requires sellers to pay five percent (not ten) of the resale price to the artist (or heir), and I thought the seller had to be based in CA at the time of the sale...although I'm not positive about the last bit.

The California law shouldn't have anything to do with it. If someone tries to use it with Kirby artwork it will fail on a prima facie basis. That might not stop some lawyer from trying to assert it, but it should stop anyone from actually paying out.

Here's a copy of the email from Todd Hignite to my friend who sold 2 Kirby pieces in the last auction. Rumors regarding this action have been floating around for awhile but it appears they're gaining some traction. He sold one Marvel page and one DC page.

I hope this finds you well—and I hope you were satisfied with your results in our November auction. We’ve recently been approached by the Kirby family as they are actively investigating the provenance for all Jack Kirby artwork being currently offered on the market. So we need to investigate in as much detail as possible all artwork by Kirby we sold in our November Signature sale, including your lots. Would you happen to remember the sales history on the two pages (any receipts/invoices would be great as well)?

Thanks a lot,

My best,

Todd

Todd Hignite | Vice President

HERITAGE AUCTIONS

It would be nice if there were some statements about pieces that are in the clear...assuming this is about stolen art vs. returned art?

For example, if an entire book was bought from the Kirby's directly are the pages from that book now broken up in the clear?

It would be nice if there were some statements about pieces that are in the clear...assuming this is about stolen art vs. returned art?

For example, if an entire book was bought from the Kirby's directly are the pages from that book now broken up in the clear?

This whole thing seems arbitrary, I don't see the Kirby family having any records on what Kirby sold and what he didn't. All this falls out of the statue of limitation.

From what I've heard, the estate is going after everything at the moment, including pages known to have been returned to Kirby, bought directly from the family, or that came out of the inkers' share.

It's not just the auction houses...a lot of dealers have suddenly "run out" of Kirby art to sell.

Even nostalgicinvestments who have made one update (1!) to their site in the past 2 years have all of a sudden pulled all of the Kirby art they still had for sale, heck they even removed the name "Kirby" from the artist index.

Maybe the Kirby heirs should purchase the http://www.kirbyart.com/ domain as it's currently for sale hm