• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My road to success (Moving Update 2)
8 8

6,552 posts in this topic

So if the goal is to buy and sell a million dollar comic why not get a job save up a million dollars , buy the comic and then sell it?

If you are trying to make a million dollars selling comics...well the last few posts should measure out the math on that and as for the number of people who have made millions on comics the odds of that are as good as winning the lotto if you ask me.

Do you think that comic book collecting is some sort of cash cow?

It would take a long time to save up a million dollars and I don't collect comics I buy and sell them.

Now if you can do that type of transaction 200 times per year......you will still be considered under the poverty level :tonofbricks: .

The hours thing again right?

Not necessarily, just illustrating a point, that even if you pulled off 4 of these $50-$60 profit flips per week, you earned $5.90 per hour. Not even minimum wage.

That's true but this isn't my job right now it's something I'm doing on the side with the hopes of it becoming an eventual job.

:facepalm: x 1,000,000

Again why not focus on getting a *real* job? How many jobs have you actually applied for in the last 60 days? Of those jobs, how many did you do any follow up with? Around the holidays, many employers are/were looking for extra staff. Did you look into any of that? Did your current employer offer you any additional hours?

In the last 60 days how many hours have you spent researching "real jobs" you think you may like to do and what education/skills you would need?

That's great that you made a $50 profit on a sale of a book, even with that Animosity book, good for you but can you LIVE on that? Did those sales in any shape or form improve your standard of living? No. You are still earning at the bottom 20% of Canadians for an unattached individual. Your situation would be even more dire if you were not living with your parents.

To not work that additional 20 hours per week at minimum wage, you would have to be able to to do "deals" like that about 200 - 250 times a year to rank in the bottom percent of the lower-middle class for an unattached individual (about $23,000 per year). To earn a lower-middle wage for an unattached individual purely by selling comics, you would need to sell 460 per year at an average of $50 profit.

To make, say $30,000 per year (a decent unattached individual middle-middle income range for Canada) you would have to sell 600 books at at an average profit of $50. To make $35,000 per year, you would have to sell 700 books per year with an average profit of $50.

Realistically, can you sell 460, 600 or 700 books per year and average a $50 profit per book to have a decent standard of living? Does this seem likely to turn into a job where you can fully support yourself? There is hope and then there is false hope. Gabe, your "hope" for this to turn into an eventual job or means to fully support yourself is definitely the latter. Again, if not for your parents, you would be living in poverty.

"False hope can lead to intemperate choices and flawed decision making. True hope takes into account the real threats that exist and seeks to navigate the best path around them."

The "real threat" to you if you continue down this path is that you will continue to live with your parents and live at or below the poverty line with zero resources, other than government assistance. Your station in life won't be improved. Finding a good job will only get harder and harder the longer you wait and put it off.

Something to think about?

How many jobs have I applied for in the last 60 days? None. As for who I followed up with none of them didn't contact me so I didn't bother. I see you mention making 30,000 is the average a person makes on the lower end but to be honest 20,000 would be ok as well.

No sell up to 700 comics a year doesn't seem something realistic to me yet and like I said this is something that I'm doing on the side so right now I'm learning to make a profit on these comics and so far I'm satisfied with my progress.

I don't have false hope I would like to turn this into a job if I can and I've been happy with how the last comics have played out which is a good sign, I haven't bought anything and I've also made budgets and followed them with the exception I made which is if I have comic book money I buy comic books, if I don't then I buy nothing.

You are completely disconnected from reality.

You are a 20 something young man with zero motivation to be a productive member of society because you are content to live at home as mommy and daddy cover your broke .

You are serious? Last 60 days no job applications? No one is going to follow up with you - You have to go "get it".

Ok, in the last 120 days (4 months) how many jobs have you applied for?

How many hours have you dedicated to researching other potential viable career paths for yourself?

When you are not working full time, you should not have something "on the side" - Your job should be finding a job and everything else should be a distant second.

You think earning $20,000 is "Ok"? Well have you even done the math? You may be "fine with it' because you don't comprehend how much of a struggle that would actually be because you are "covered" by mommy and daddy.

The average rent in Niagara Falls is just shy of $1,000 a month for a one bedroom apartment. That is $12,000 per year.

You are down to $8,000. Rent often does not include utilities such as hydro and/or phone and internet. If it does, your rent will likely be higher.

No car right? Don't drive? A yearly bus pass in Niagara is about $1,000/year.

Down to $7,000 per year.

Average cost of groceries for one person per month: $200 - $300 or let's go at the low end, $2,400 per year.

You are down to $4,600 for the year. For the year! That is a mere $383 a month left over for other monthly expenses like any insurance (renters insurance), clothing costs,debt repayment (from that student loan), internet/telephone, utilities (hydro, gas) and any smidgen of entertainment you may have. Certainly not a lot of cash to be able to buy any books.

Honestly if mom and dad decided they have had enough and wanted you out in a month, what would you do?

Dude...McDonald's didn't hire him, what are you realistically expecting from him? I'm not trying to be mean or anything but he's the first person I ever heard of getting turned down by them.

Are there any programs in Canada that can help people with learning disabilities learn a trade or something?

Now if you can do that type of transaction 200 times per year......you will still be considered under the poverty level :tonofbricks: .

Not necessarily, just illustrating a point, that even if you pulled off 4 of these $50-$60 profit flips per week, you earned $5.90 per hour. Not even minimum wage.

That's true but this isn't my job right now it's something I'm doing on the side with the hopes of it becoming an eventual job.

Again why not focus on getting a *real* job? How many jobs have you actually applied for in the last 60 days? Of those jobs, how many did you do any follow up with? Around the holidays, many employers are/were looking for extra staff. Did you look into any of that? Did your current employer offer you any additional hours?

In the last 60 days how many hours have you spent researching "real jobs" you think you may like to do and what education/skills you would need?

That's great that you made a $50 profit on a sale of a book, even with that Animosity book, good for you but can you LIVE on that? Did those sales in any shape or form improve your standard of living? No. You are still earning at the bottom 20% of Canadians for an unattached individual. Your situation would be even more dire if you were not living with your parents.

To not work that additional 20 hours per week at minimum wage, you would have to be able to to do "deals" like that about 200 - 250 times a year to rank in the bottom percent of the lower-middle class for an unattached individual (about $23,000 per year). To earn a lower-middle wage for an unattached individual purely by selling comics, you would need to sell 460 per year at an average of $50 profit.

To make, say $30,000 per year (a decent unattached individual middle-middle income range for Canada) you would have to sell 600 books at at an average profit of $50. To make $35,000 per year, you would have to sell 700 books per year with an average profit of $50.

Realistically, can you sell 460, 600 or 700 books per year and average a $50 profit per book to have a decent standard of living? Does this seem likely to turn into a job where you can fully support yourself? There is hope and then there is false hope. Gabe, your "hope" for this to turn into an eventual job or means to fully support yourself is definitely the latter. Again, if not for your parents, you would be living in poverty.

"False hope can lead to intemperate choices and flawed decision making. True hope takes into account the real threats that exist and seeks to navigate the best path around them."

The "real threat" to you if you continue down this path is that you will continue to live with your parents and live at or below the poverty line with zero resources, other than government assistance. Your station in life won't be improved. Finding a good job will only get harder and harder the longer you wait and put it off.

How many jobs have I applied for in the last 60 days? None. As for who I followed up with none of them didn't contact me so I didn't bother. I see you mention making 30,000 is the average a person makes on the lower end but to be honest 20,000 would be ok as well.

No sell up to 700 comics a year doesn't seem something realistic to me yet and like I said this is something that I'm doing on the side so right now I'm learning to make a profit on these comics and so far I'm satisfied with my progress.

I don't have false hope I would like to turn this into a job if I can and I've been happy with how the last comics have played out which is a good sign, I haven't bought anything and I've also made budgets and followed them with the exception I made which is if I have comic book money I buy comic books, if I don't then I buy nothing.

You are a 20 something young man with zero motivation to be a productive member of society because you are content to live at home as mommy and daddy cover your broke .

You are serious? Last 60 days no job applications? No one is going to follow up with you - You have to go "get it".

How many hours have you dedicated to researching other potential viable career paths for yourself?

When you are not working full time, you should not have something "on the side" - Your job should be finding a job and everything else should be a distant second.

You think earning $20,000 is "Ok"? Well have you even done the math? You may be "fine with it' because you don't comprehend how much of a struggle that would actually be because you are "covered" by mommy and daddy.

The average rent in Niagara Falls is just shy of $1,000 a month for a one bedroom apartment. That is $12,000 per year.

You are down to $8,000. Rent often does not include utilities such as hydro and/or phone and internet. If it does, your rent will likely be higher.

Down to $7,000 per year.

Average cost of groceries for one person per month: $200 - $300 or let's go at the low end, $2,400 per year.

You are down to $4,600 for the year. For the year! That is a mere $383 a month left over for other monthly expenses like any insurance (renters insurance), clothing costs,debt repayment (from that student loan), internet/telephone, utilities (hydro, gas) and any smidgen of entertainment you may have. Certainly not a lot of cash to be able to buy any books.

Honestly if mom and dad decided they have had enough and wanted you out in a month, what would you do?

No income taxes in Canada?

Down to $7,000 per year.

More... Much more taxes in Canada than the usa. He'd clear around 16kish after taxes on 20k :banana:

Edited by iceman399

Dude...McDonald's didn't hire him, what are you realistically expecting from him? I'm not trying to be mean or anything but he's the first person I ever heard of getting turned down by them.

Are there any programs in Canada that can help people with learning disabilities learn a trade or something?

I'm not the only person to be turned down by Mcdonald's and yes there are programs that help with disabilities to learn trades and stuff.

Down to $7,000 per year.

Canada has income taxes

Down to $7,000 per year.

More... Much more taxes in Canada than the usa. He'd clear around 16kish after taxes on 20k :banana:

I don't know it right of the bat but I think for me it's 15%

Down to $7,000 per year.

Where are you getting all these ridiculous numbers from?

I'll start with the rent. Nothing that I would get is 1000 dollars a month, there are places here that are for 350-600 a month with everything included.

Bus Passes cost 70 dollars so 70x12 =$840

Like I said there are many places here that include everything here and I only buy clothes if I really need to.

Down to $7,000 per year.

I'll start with the rent. Nothing that I would get is 1000 dollars a month, there are places here that are for 350-600 a month with everything included.

Like I said there are many places here that include everything here and I only buy clothes if I really need to.

Ok I just checked on your right bus passes are more expensive now so that was my mistake. They are now 130 per month which is a crazy jump. So 130x12 =$1560

Yes the rent and what they offer is still the same thing.

I didn't add food since I didn't know what I'd be spending.

Down to $7,000 per year.

Way to try to minimize the overall POINT of the post.

RENT

Rentboard.ca is where I got the rental numbers from. Depending on your exact geographical location, rent may be cheaper as I don't know exactly where you are.

https://www.rentboard.ca/rentals/rental_rates.aspx?locid=4570

https://www.rentboard.ca/rentals/index.aspx

And here is a quick Kijiji search...Cheapest option I see is a room for $450. Remember, in those instances you would be sharing a space and they tend to screen applicants pretty closely. Would you make the cut?

http://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/niagara-falls-apartment/k0l9004

I live in a small northern Ontario city and the cheapest rent I could find after a quick search was like $600 a month, so I would be VERY surprised if you could find a single room apartment for under $600 in Southern Ontario, especially all inclusive. I would LOVE to see the place you get for $350 a month, all inclusive...Seriously. If you can find a room for that dang cheap, why are you still living at home?

Regarldess, simply providing a roof over your head is going to eat up a huge chunk of your marginal "$20,000"

TRANSIT

https://www.niagarafalls.ca/living/transit/fare-structure.aspx

So, unless there is a slightly cheaper yearly pass, I was off by a couple hundred but according to the site, a monthly bus pass is $75 a month or $900 per year. I was off by a very marginal bit there. Edit: Look at that. Turns out I was under according to your new research.

FOOD

In terms of the cost of groceries, that is pretty standard costs. $200 a month on groceries for an individual is not a lot of money. You would know this if you actually, you know, had to shop for yourself.

OTHER

Again, this still doesn't take into account clothing (which we know you are lacking in having presentable clothing and kind of just confirmed), any utilities or services such as internet which may or may not be included, debt repayment (if you have to repay that student loan), renters insurance (which you should consider if you have collectibles in your apartment) and any other incidentals and entertainment. And where is the "capital" left to buy books and other collections to fund your "goal"?

TAXES

As someone mentioned, lets not forget tax. Yes, we have taxes here in Canada. So your $20,000 is even LESS.Probably around $17,000 range after all taxes.

So, yeah, I don't think my numbers are all that "ridiculous". I lived in Toronto on academic stipend of $20,000 - While that was in the early 2000's, trust me, I know what it is like to be "working poor". You are clearly speaking from the perspective of someone who has no clue what it costs to live on their own.

JOB HUNTING

You also said in a post above "I already have a job but yes I am looking for a better one." but you admitted a few posts prior to that to not dropping off a job application in the past 60 days with the exception of the McDonald's application. How does that equate "looking for a better one"? How many jobs have you applied for in the past 120 days?

Also, you never answered the question...What would your situation be if mom and dad wanted you out of the house in a month?

Edited by Wall-Crawler

8 8