• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book missing one staple
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Weirdly enough, I just bought a UXM 96 yesterday and didn't realize it only had one staple until I got home. It was the first time I had seen a comic that had only ever had one staple (only has the top, no indication there was ever a staple on bottom). I did some research and was still uneasy, so it makes me feel better to see this post and all the positive responses!

Thanks all!

Weirdly enough, I just bought a UXM 96 yesterday and didn't realize it only had one staple until I got home. It was the first time I had seen a comic that had only ever had one staple (only has the top, no indication there was ever a staple on bottom). I did some research and was still uneasy, so it makes me feel better to see this post and all the positive responses!

Thanks all!

It's not that uncommon. The biggest problem you will run into is the possibility of ripping the book apart if you're not careful. ;)

It's not that uncommon. The biggest problem you will run into is the possibility of ripping the book apart if you're not careful. ;)

It's already tucked away safely among some friends, so I have at least limited that possibility! Thanks for the info!

What if it had the staple and it's gone? Have nice Asm 122 like that

That is counted as a defect.

Definitely, that is a BIG defect.

I would love your opinion on how I affected the grade of this book.

I pulled the bottom staple to stop any damage progression, bad idea? This is a book I'm keeping, should I let it be, replace the staple? Thanks in advance!

You can click on the image and the links under for higher res.

cuDOER8l.jpg

Before

After

Interior cover

Center fold

I pulled the bottom staple to stop any damage progression, bad idea? This is a book I'm keeping, should I let it be, replace the staple? Thanks in advance!

You can click on the image for higher res.

cuDOER8l.jpg

Before

After

Interior cover

Center fold

I had a similar thing happen on a GA book. The bottom staple was badly rusted and migrating to the pages. I pulled the staple, brushed away the loose rust, put the book away and did give it another thought. I had always considered the book, even without the staple, a 6.0.

Years later I sold the book and they buyer asked if I could put a staple back in and send it to CGC. I had some vintage staples so it was no problem. The book came back Q6.0 with a note that the bottom staple had been replaced. The buyer wanted a Universal label so I called CGC to see if they could give it a blue label and knock the grade down (as they do with some Qualified books). They said, no, as long as the staple was in the book it would remain a Q.

I called Voldemort and asked how they would treat it. They said, since they don't have a Q label, it would get a Conserved note. That's what the buyer eventually went with. The book remained a 6.0.

Funny, my ASM 45 is also manufactured with only a bottom staple. No holes, just like yours. Yours is much nicer though. I'm thinking blue label since it's a manufacturing defect and they don't usually knock anything for that. [ :insane: /quote]

Must have been short staples that day :insane:

Post a picture if you can.

You can click on the image for higher res.

cuDOER8l.jpg

Before

After

Interior cover

Center fold

Bump for bomber :foryou: