• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebrate Dell'Otto!
15 15

4,993 posts in this topic

Idk....I've been watching a bit a of his variants as of late and it seems to me a lot of his variants have cooled down

I blame myself. Whenever I invest in something it is bound to tank. I recently sold two of the pink Harley Quinn covers in 9.8 for under $300 each. If I had just held on to the books and sold them raw I could have done much better. By the time I got my books back from CGC it was too late. It only took about two months too which isn't bad. I saw a couple of sales in the $950 range at the peak. I still made a nice little profit but it could have been much much better. One recently sold in open auction by another seller for just barely over $200. 1000 were printed which isn't a ton but it seems like a lot of them are 9.8s. Too many apparently.

On the other hand his virgin Venom cover had a print run of 500 and from what I've been reading it doesn't sound like there will be many 9.8s. Of course I didn't manage to buy any of those. I got one of the Bagley virgin Venom covers with a 500 print run though. Just as good right? Yeah no.

Pink Harley and Virgin Venom are both Store variants. If you are going to invest big on some of his books (I wouldnt), at least try to focus on the direct from publisher variants.

I'd just say wait it out, wait some more and then wait again for all the dust to settle and the census numbers to come in. Jumping in early (and not initially buying them raw from said retailer) is where it can get dicey.

If you see a book take off in 9.8, wait, don't be one of the first (BA12 is one of the few recent exceptions) to buy a 9.8. Let the census numbers pour in and compare that info to it's print run and other similarly ran variants' life-cycles. i.e. how did the HQ Pink #1 variant do after 3 months, 6 months, etc. The longer you wait, the more information you have to make a more informed decision.

I didn't wait long enough for the HQ Pink #1 and had to sell, but I did get in on the ground floor for the Dell'Otto secret variant, so there's less risk there, however those I also think will be hard to find in 9.8s from what I gather.

Jerome

Jerome

hm

Good point stressing how often these rare variants end up in the crapper.

They are random variants and were all bought mostly in two days... Something stinks...

:gossip: Goes back to September 9th. The 3 months that eBay shows.

Maybe you wanted the 1:200's, direct from the publisher, taking off....

I guess I am missing the point... :shrug:

I don't see any discernable pattern or pricing trends here. The books are across multiple genres and collecting focuses across multiple non-key issues.

I could be wrong.

Don't worry about all that. The advice was to stay away from those pesky store variants and invest in the varaints directly from the Big 2. As you can see, it's a goldmine just waiting for some prospecting!

Don't worry about all that. The advice was to stay away from those pesky store variants and invest in the varaints directly from the Big 2. As you can see, it's a goldmine just waiting for some prospecting!

no one said variants from the big 2 were great either. All the ones that people love on here, or that your buddies on cBSi have shilled, were worthless before as well. That's kind of the point.

Anyone of those 1:100 variants selling for nothing that you linked to, could be multi-hundred books tomorrow if the shill horde wipe them off eBay, write cBSi article about them, and then have people create appreciation threads for them.

In fact, your link is a great explanation of the whole thing. Store variants hold up even worse than big 2 variants, so if big 2 variants have no one interested in them and they sell for that, imagine what store variants will sell for once the demand is gone

no one said variants from the big 2 were great either. All the ones that people love on here, or that your buddies on cBSi have shilled, were worthless before as well. That's kind of the point.

Anyone of those 1:100 variants selling for nothing that you linked to, could be multi-hundred books tomorrow if the shill horde wipe them off eBay, write cBSi article about them, and then have people create appreciation threads for them.

In fact, your link is a great explanation of the whole thing. Store variants hold up even worse than big 2 variants, so if big 2 variants have no one interested in them and they sell for that, imagine what store variants will sell for once the demand is gone

Is it really necessary to have this identical conversation taking place across 4 different threads?

-J.

Is it really necessary to have this identical conversation taking place across 4 different threads?

-J.

touche and agreed, kind of egged on to it, but I will limit it to the heating up thread

Received my Tracking Number from Frankie's Comics regarding my Ghost Rider Dell'Otto Variant sets.

Just got my copies and they look good. I would grade the Virgin copy to be 9.6/9.8. A whole lot better than the Virgin Venom copies.

I still need a 9.8 Pink Harley, is now a good time to finally get one? What do you all think?

I think so. The value seems to have settled in at around $275. If you wait for someone to list one in an open bid though you can probably get one closer to $210-$220.

Question, why would one buy from ebay for $100 when you can get it for $80 (I believe this is for a complete set of 3, Color/B&W/Ultra Rare Purple) direct from retailer?

That said, I really do like the art on this one.

Edited by aerischan

Question, why would one buy from ebay for $100 when you can get it for $80 (I believe this is for a complete set of 3, Color/B&W/Ultra Rare Purple) direct from retailer?

That said, I really do like the art on this one.

Maybe it's his listing (shrug)

I still need a 9.8 Pink Harley, is now a good time to finally get one? What do you all think?

I think so. The value seems to have settled in at around $275. If you wait for someone to list one in an open bid though you can probably get one closer to $210-$220.

Yeah the market flood did nothing for the book (obviously). But at the same time, the market tends to have a good memory for past price points for books. All things considered, it's probably a fairly innocuous gamble at where it is now.

-J.

Hey now..

Just received my Dell'Otto Marvel Secret Work today from Italy :banana:

20161128_192819_zpskrl4eruz.jpg

This version came with this limited print and his autograph in the interior.

20161128_192756_zpslkyysmeo.jpg

Can't wait for the kids to go to bed to start looking through... :whee:

The best purchase of the year for me!!! Super stoked when I saw the parcel today. I finally got around to surgical opening it and spent a good 2 1/2 hours and have yet to get through half the book. Im blown away by this guy's amazing talent.

Now I truly have found something I can dwell into to escape this crazy world.

Hey now..

Just received my Dell'Otto Marvel Secret Work today from Italy :banana:

20161128_192819_zpskrl4eruz.jpg

This version came with this limited print and his autograph in the interior.

20161128_192756_zpslkyysmeo.jpg

Can't wait for the kids to go to bed to start looking through... :whee:

The best purchase of the year for me!!! Super stoked when I saw the parcel today. I finally got around to surgical opening it and spent a good 2 1/2 hours and have yet to get through half the book. Im blown away by this guy's amazing talent.

Now I truly have found something I can dwell into to escape this crazy world.

Nice ! That's an awesome early Christmas present. :applause:

-J.