• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman 1 Club
2 2

487 posts in this topic

Probably all I'll ever get so here it is.

Sup%201%20pg_zpszrqrygaz.jpg

Sup%201%20page_zps36yu7fyw.jpg

OK - stupid question...how do you tell whether this is a page from Action #1 or Superman #1?

In Action Comics #1, the artwork is on the reverse side.

So page 5 of Action #1, that features the famous car-lift scene, is printed to the right of the book's spine. In page 7 of Superman #1, that same page is reprinted to the left of the spine.

Exactly -- and because of this, the reverse side of those pages is different, so it's easy to tell which is which if someone tried to pass off a Supe 1 page as being from Action 1. I had some loose pages in the past and one of them was the car-lift scene and I thought I struck gold and had an Action 1 page, but it ended up 'only' being from Superman 1!

I've been collecting for just over a year now and just sealed the deal on this sucker.

Proud to be part of the superman 1 club!! Will post a better pic when it's in hand next week!

33ngr6f.jpg

Wow !

+1....nice book.

Awesome grail

Here's my newly completed coverless Superman 1.

I had to marry wraps from 2 different copies to complete it. Does that mean this is a "Polygamist copy"?

My photobucket account isn't working, so I'm trying Flickr out but can't get the photos to appear here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147204610@N02/shares/5hmNY0

I had to marry wraps from 2 different copies to complete it. Does that mean this is a "Polygamist copy"?

My photobucket account isn't working, so I'm trying Flickr out but can't get the photos to appear here.

I'm missing the non couponed part of the centrefold and the last 2 pages, the Siegel and Shuster letter. In your effort to complete your book any extra's of those particular pages?

I'm missing the non couponed part of the centrefold and the last 2 pages, the Siegel and Shuster letter. In your effort to complete your book any extra's of those particular pages?

Nope, I feel like I got really lucky on that 2nd wrap. I see interior single pages for Superman 1 all of the time, but it never seems like Page 31 & 32 ever come up. I still need a CF to complete my other copy.

Nope, I feel like I got really lucky on that 2nd wrap. I see interior single pages for Superman 1 all of the time, but it never seems like Page 31 & 32 ever come up. I still need a CF to complete my other copy.

I have half of the centrefold. You beat me to the 2nd wrap. I wonder why they are so uncommon.

Big shout out to Wayne-Tec for helping me complete one my coverless copies of Superman 1.

I was missing the 2nd wrap and he came through for me.

Thanks buddy. :headbang:

I'll post a photo soon.

I'm late responding to this but I'm so happy that everything came together for you. Completing a grail-book is akin to searching for lost treasure. There are only so many copies left in existence and marrying loose parts from various copies is a unique way of bringing a copy back into this world. Kudos for your patience in finding all of the needed parts and congrats on putting it all together.

I have half of the centrefold. You beat me to the 2nd wrap. I wonder why they are so uncommon.

It's tough for comic books to withstand the test of time unless someone makes a deliberate effort to keep the book safe from harm. For copies that weren't consciously kept as "collectibles", it was easy for covers and outer wraps to be lost over time. The first wrap of Superman featured the splash and expanded origin, I can see that being held on to. But the second wrap would be the next one to end up loose, difference being that visually, the artwork was mid-story. To the untrained eye, it might appear to be just another random wrap. It's not easy to put these books back together.